Where do I stand - INR?

I received a message from a buyer tonight to let me know their item hadn't arrived. Normally it should have taken 2-3 days at the most and it's now been almost 2 weeks. He was very polite in his message and asked at the end if I had posted it to 10/59 ABC Street. I checked the order details and the address in there, which I  posted to is Unit 10 59 XYZ Street, which is a couple of streets away.

He hasn't opened a dispute, he just sent a message,  but where do I stand? It was a large letter item so no tracking. I hadn't checked Google maps at that stage but I asked if there was an XYZ St and if there is,  they might have his item. When I checked Google maps I discovered that both streets existed.

Any advice would be wonderful. 

Thanks!

Message 1 of 6
Latest reply
5 REPLIES 5

Re: Where do I stand - INR?

Did you post to the address shown on the Paypal email you received advising of the payment?  If so, then you should win a dispute if it comes to that.  That said, can you replace the item?  If so, (and if it is not a very expensive item, and I presume as it was sent by letter post, it wasn't), then I would send a replacement while you wait to see if the original one comes back to you. 

You probably have a good chance of that happening as letters tend to be less inviting to keep than a parcel would be.

Cheers,

Penny
Message 2 of 6
Latest reply

Hi Penny  thanks for the reply. Yes I did send it to the address in  PayPal. I went back and found the email that eBay sent when the item sold and that address matched the address in PayPal and the order details. 

He did say that some of his mail had been going to the wrong address so I'm wondering if that's why! I asked him to check his order details in his purchase history as that should show him the same as what I'm seeing. 

Unfortunately, the item was a one off so can't send a replacement. It sold at auction for $23 so not a huge amount. There was no suggestion of a dispute in his message  but just wasn't sure where I stood if he did decide to open one given there was no tracking. I guess I have the messages between us. Notsure if they count for anything. 

If it was genuinely lost I'd have no hesitation in refunding, but if he's given me the wrong address, I'm not sure I should? 

Message 3 of 6
Latest reply

It will depend on whether he opens the dispute on eBay or through Paypal.   I don't like your chances with eBay as they require proof of delivery and with no tracking you don't have that, so they would probably make you refund.  If he goes through Paypal, they only as for proof of postage, so if you still have the receipt form when you posted and it has the postcode on it, you may be okay.  I send a lot of things by letter, but I always photograph them at the PO counter when they stamp them.  It only takes a second and Paypal accepts it as proof of postage.

Cheers,

Penny
Message 4 of 6
Latest reply

There was no receipt,  it was large letter with 2 stamps on. I doubt it will go to dispute. I think if he was going to do it he would have just done it. Maybe once he checks his order details he might realise what's happened.

If he starts making noises about a dispute I'll just refund and be done with it.

Message 5 of 6
Latest reply

I don't think he has a hope of winning a dispute

if he hasn't changed his address.

Why would you need proof of postage/tracking etc

if he's got the wrong address listed?

He's admitted that in the messages.

Message 6 of 6
Latest reply