Where is the seller protection

Hi there, I am seeking advice what next step I could to do to protect myself . 

I sold a high end branded necklace recently, two weeks later after transaction completed, I received messages that buyer filed dispute claiming this is not recognised transcription.  
Then I followed every step Guided by seller protection , provided proof of  delivery confirming item being delivered and signed. I too contact eBay about this dispute   over the phone I was told  I did what I could do at this stage. 

Now  two month later, I received email from eBay that this dispute resolved in buyer’s favour, are asked to refund payment. This is ridiculous! How could this happen? I lost my item ( I don’t think buyer will return the necklace) , also money will be forced to conduct from my linked bank account. Where is the seller protection?!

I need your kind advice.  What is the next step I could to protect myself , argue this dispute outcome with eBay ?

Message 1 of 16
Latest reply
15 REPLIES 15

I too am extremely frustrated at the lack of support for sellers when buyers claim 'item not as described' - as sellers we are not offered the right of response and just told to cough up the cash - and lose out on postage that ebay has already chewed into with fees.  Sorry i don't have any advice for you - but defineilty understanding your frustration. 

Message 2 of 16
Latest reply

Unfortunately I don't think you can do anything retrospectively. Unfortunately these days, the really good and knowledgeable members no longer post here which is why you have likely not received any replies. 

If I was selling anything of high value and jewellery or something like that, I would probably have it authenticated by a reputable agent prior to selling. Even then, that might not help much but it is something you could put in the item description, it might make scammers less likely to bother. All you can sometimes do on eBay is make things much harder for scammers. Does the buyer's feedback indicate anything that might suggest they regularly get 'freebies' or have issues? 

You could always, inform them that you wish to have your item back otherwise you will be filing a Police report and/or file a claim with ACCC's Scamwatch ( I think that is the right body). If you had the original receipt you could always try to contact eBay with that to prove its authenticity. None of this will likely get your money back (it could if you kick up a fuss with eBay, not sure if they have a Facebook account these days but there were times in the past that the bad publicity made them take action on certain cases), but it might at least let the 'buyer' know that they are now on 'watch' by the authorities. Sorry I don't have better advice for you. 

Message 3 of 16
Latest reply

@dudu-sydney, 

If you sent this item with tracking, and that tracking shows that the item was delivered, I’m surprised that seller protection isn’t in place for you.

As per eBay’s Help page for Seller Protection:

When a buyer opens a payment dispute because they didn't receive the item or they don't recognise the transaction

When a buyer opens a payment dispute because they didn't receive the item or they don't recognise the transaction, sellers will be asked to provide:

• Evidence of successful delivery to the address provided by the buyer at checkout, or
  • Proof that the buyer collected the item

If eBay determines that the item was successfully delivered or collected:

• We will not seek reimbursement from the seller for the disputed amount, even if the payment institution decides that the buyer is owed a refund; and
  • We will waive or refund the seller's dispute fee

Evidence of successful delivery

Tracking information from a carrier that shows all of the following:

• A delivery status of "delivered" (or equivalent in the country to which the item was delivered);
  • The date of delivery;
  • The recipient's address that matches the one found on the Order details page, including the city/suburb or postcode (or international equivalent); and
  • Proof of signature confirmation uploaded as an image while challenging the payment dispute, for orders with a total cost (including postage and any applicable taxes) of $750 or more. Learn more about our signature confirmation requirements

The only thing I can think might be a valid reason for your not having seller protection - if the item was sent tracked to the buyer’s address and there is a status of “delivered” - is if the item was over that $750 threshold and there was no signature.

Otherwise, get on to eBay Lice Chst and ask to be contacted to a supervisor, quoting the policy information as I’ve quoted here, and pointing out that you provided proof of delivery as required and that you should not be liable for refunding the buyer.

Please come back and tell us if this successful. I know that I and the various other helpful responders on these boards value that feedback so that we can be sure we’re not giving incorrect information.

Message 4 of 16
Latest reply

Aaaagh - autocorrect, curse you! Not Lice Chst… Live Chat!

Message 5 of 16
Latest reply

are you saying that the buyer did not authorise the transaction, so it is a chargeback?

Message 6 of 16
Latest reply

Do you know for sure that the address you posted the necklace to is the address of the "buyer" who disputed the transaction?

I would contact the "buyer" and ask for them to provide a stat dec that they do not have the necklace and tell them you want the stat dec because you are involving the police in this.
I would send a letter to the same address you sent the necklace and explain that as the "buyer" has been refunded you need the necklace returned asap or you will have to involve the police.

I would state a date by which time you need a reply.
You might have some success but if there are no replies by a date set by you then go to the police oline fraud squad.

If you are uncomfortable confronting the "buyer" and the person who received the necklace then just go to the police and hope they can sort it out.

Message 7 of 16
Latest reply

Hi there, thanks all for your kind input. 

Sorry for the late updates, I called EBay that day,  and express my strongly disagreement with the outcome. Over the phone, I request eBay to revisit  my case, as I provided supporting documents guilted by eBay seller protection program, confirming item had been delivered successfully and signed by someone. since I am with eBay money management, why I am not being protected.

Luckily eBay decided to accept my appeal this time, and refund me payment. 

My concern is what we should do if buyer claimed box is empty next time, should we film every step of packaging?  

Message 8 of 16
Latest reply

Filming packaging is not going to cut it - there is no proof that - that actual package was the package sent.

The PO weighs packages for cost of posting - keep the receipt - it's worth more than your film.

The box cannot be explained empty if weighed.

Message 9 of 16
Latest reply

....aahhh, but did eBay refund you, or the buyer? Probably doesn't matter to you, but....seems there's a problem here??

Can't comment on empty packages.....maybe you can get your postmaster to take note of weight at the time.....but that would be up to you to do the paperwork & the postmaster to agree to 'authenticate'??

Message 10 of 16
Latest reply