Why Paypal as only option for safe method of payment can affect you.

Hi all

I am concerned about the upcoming plan to remove alternatives to Paypal for payment. 

Ebay are proposing to use Paypal only payment as their safe payment of method.

Diminishing any competition by removing Paymate.

Ebay require all sellers to have at least one safe method of payment - either Paypal, Paymate or Credit Card.

Currently Credit Card can be used by using Payflow (Paypal) or Cybersource - Cybersource require 3,000 transactions or more per month.

This makes Cybersource not an option for 99% of mum, dad and regular sellers.

So effectively by removing Paymate, ebay will ensure that Paypal is the only option available to sellers/consumers.

Paypal may change their fees/rules/witholding money rules at any time. 

The ACCC ruled against ebay previously for using Paypal as a monopoly and I would encourage consumers again to lodge a complaint with the ACCC to ensure this doesn't happen again:

https://www.accc.gov.au/contact-us/contact-the-accc/general-enquiry-form

Message 1 of 42
Latest reply
41 REPLIES 41

Re: Why Paypal as only option for safe method of payment can affect you.

@joethenuts wrote:

as i have asked   why would anybody sell on ebay and use paymate, against paypal,unless you have had a dispute with paypal. why would you pay more,only a question.  what about all the paypal buyers out there , that wont be looking at your items to sell,   you dont even have paypal as an option , 

There are understandably a lot of reasons for people to mistrust PayPal, and the fee difference may well be negligible in comparison to all of the permissions that have to be granted to PayPal in order to operate an account. Some people don't want to give PayPal control over their funds, and/or access to their bank account. It's like when people choose to sell on eBay over somewhere like Gumtree - they each have their pros and cons, but for some, the benefits gained by using a different site/service outweigh the extra costs 😉 

I never really understood why there is more mistrust for Paymate than there is for PayPal, to be honest, particularly to the point where a lot of people say they won't buy from a seller who only offers Paymate, like that means they're automatically less trustworthy. Smiley Frustrated (Not the issue here, and I know no one's saying that, just mentioning it in passing Smiley Very Happy ). 

Message 21 of 42
Latest reply

but if you read the post she uses both in separate ids , my question is why would you not have paypal on a selling id , when i am sure most buyers are using paypal.,  if i wanted to buy from her ,i for one wont buy because she does not use paypal , there must be 10000s of buyers  who dont have paymate.?

Message 22 of 42
Latest reply

@joethenuts wrote:

but if you read the post she uses both in separate ids , my question is why would you not have paypal on a selling id , when i am sure most buyers are using paypal.,  if i wanted to buy from her ,i for one wont buy because she does not use paypal , there must be 10000s of buyers  who dont have paymate.?

My answer was in general, not indending to reply on behalf of anyone in particular. 

You don't need a Paymate account to pay that way, it's basically a credit card gateway. Offering Paymate only means you potentially lose business from people who pay by eCheque, PayPal funds, or those who simply don't want to for whatever reason, but the same can be said about those who only offer merchant facilities (which includes millions of businesses world-wide, at least off-eBay). 

Message 23 of 42
Latest reply

arnt we talking about ebay here ,and this op    not in general,   in fact until not long ago you must have paypal as a payment method. 

i am asking the op why as a seller you would not have paypal on both her ids, only she can answere that, i am just wondering

Message 24 of 42
Latest reply

@joethenuts wrote:

arnt we talking about ebay here ,and this op    not in general,   in fact until not long ago you must have paypal as a payment method. 

I do this thing where I make references to other things in order to make comparisons and/or highlight a specific point I'm trying to make. It usually makes my points easier to understand. 

Your question seemed pretty general to me (the first one I replied to, that is) - my mistake. 😉 

Message 25 of 42
Latest reply

It has been a while since ebay had paypal as the only safe payment meithod.  Sellers have had the choice of paypal, Paymate and Merchant Credit Facility for quite some time.

Message 26 of 42
Latest reply

i realise , just wondering why the op ,who has both   why she does not add paypal to 1 of her selling ids. surely adding paypal would boost her watchers

Message 27 of 42
Latest reply

Some of us don't particularly care about watchers, or count them.

They often don't translate into sales and, for multiple items, the watcher may already be the one who bought.

Message 28 of 42
Latest reply

peterrandrews - won't you still need one of ebay's 'safe methods of payment'?

http://pages.ebay.com.au/help/pay/accepted-payment-methods.html

Currently there are: Paypal, Paymate, or Merchant card.

If Paymate is removed, then you only have Paypal or Merchant card with either of 2 gateways: either Payflow (Paymate) or Cybersource (need a minumum turnover of 3,000 items per month).

Message 29 of 42
Latest reply

PayPal is the best thing since sliced bread as far as I'm concerned. Particularly for my minimum age requirements.

It is the only method of payment I use mainly because I know that the PayPal Account holder is 18 years or older.

You can accept payment from Bank Account, MasterCard,and Visa, so I really don't see what the problem is.

Payment is instantaneous and there's their Buyer protection policy too.

D.K.

Message 30 of 42
Latest reply