Why are ebayers still selling dirty clothes

Today I recieved a dirty jacket with stains, cigarette burns. Why are eBayers still doing this? Why are they not checking for defects prior listing. It''s digusting and its runied my day, now the process of a refund begins

Message 1 of 14
Latest reply
13 REPLIES 13

Re: Why are ebayers still selling dirty clothes

Why would anybody buy used clothes on eBay?

I wouldn't.

Why would people list items without noting defects? Maybe they are newbies. Maybe they don't understand how online selling works. Maybe they don't understand 'money back guarantees'.

Message 2 of 14
Latest reply

If they didn't note the defects for a potential buyer then you have protection available to you.

The returns/refund option, and your feedback to let them know your complaint. 

It is a pain to have to return items, but if buyers don't use the eBay system these sellers will either continue to try to rip buyers off, or if they are new to selling they will never learn. 

Just make sure you use the eBay system, and keep any correspondence back and forward via eBay messages so that you have a clear record. 

Good Luck

Message 3 of 14
Latest reply

Open an item not as described dispute through eBay and follow through with it. If the seller wants it back, they have to send you a shipping label to post it. If they don't, escalate it to a claim (ask eBay to step in and help) and they will probably issue a refund without having to return it, and the seller will get a defect.

Then I'd probably burn it.

Message 4 of 14
Latest reply

@davewil1964 wrote:

Why would anybody buy used clothes on eBay?

I wouldn't.

Why would people list items without noting defects? Maybe they are newbies. Maybe they don't understand how online selling works. Maybe they don't understand 'money back guarantees'.

A lot of people do though, and it can be a great experience. I have bought second hand before.

Sometimes you can pick up things that, although not brand new with tags, have never been worn and are excellent quality brand names. This is especially true with kids clothing.

What is needed with second hand items though is a detailed and honest description. And several clear photos so a buyer can clearly see defects (if any) and make up their own mind.

Having said all that, I have occasionally seen ads for clothing, shoes, furniture etc where I have thought-hmm, if I were that seller, I would never list that, never. Ebay isn't the place  for well worn, stained or dirty items of clothing or footwear.

Message 5 of 14
Latest reply

I buy and sell secondhand clothing and I feel I have to say something to the OP,I just looked up the item you bought and the photo in the listing has no stains on the front like in your photo.Was the satchel ripped when you received it that could have damaged it.

Message 6 of 14
Latest reply

That would always be something to consider, but going on the placement of the stains on that blue Quicksilver top, it looks to me as if the stains are around the bottom of the sleeves and that is exactly where clothes do start to get dirty or show signs of wear.

They look a bit ingrained to me, just going on the photos.

Message 7 of 14
Latest reply

lyndal1838
Honored Contributor

Why are ebayers still selling dirty clothes?   Because other ebayers are still buying them!

There is a place for well used/stained clothing but only if you understand what you are buying and are not looking for something to wear for best.

When my daughter was young she worked as a stable hand.  No matter how hard I tried it was impossible to keep things really clean so I turned to ebay and second hand clothing.

She was the envy of all her friends as she kept turning up in clothing that was colourful and fashionable, albeit slightly marked in some way.

She never had to worry about getting marks on things and was able to enjoy her smart clothing because we had paid about a quarter of the new clothing price.

It really is horses for courses...know what you want the clothing for and how much dirt/damage is acceptable.

Message 8 of 14
Latest reply

That sounds exatly right, lyndal.

I think the key as seller is to have lots of clear photos and  honest, detailed descriptions.

I have seen eg children's bundles of clothes sold where a seller states they would be good as spares for childcare etc as they are a bit marked with pilling. That didn't suit me as buyer but I knew the score so could look elsewhere but it may have suited some other buyer, maybe a mum of a young child.

I do think selling second hand clothes or second hand anything on ebay these days would need careful work on the part of most sellers as it could be a bit of a minefield. Not mentioning stains etc would be counter productive.

Message 9 of 14
Latest reply

I sell mostly second hand clothes, but I only buy items that look new and are good brands. No loose buttons, no pulled threads, no stains, no rips, no smell, no holes, no missing labels or fabric care tags where possible.

If I do happen to lose my brain and come home to find an item has something wrong with it, I either re-donate it, keep it for myself, or if it's a good brand and otherwise perfect, I'll still sell it but make sure the defect is clearly mentioned.
Message 10 of 14
Latest reply