Why do I have to pay ebay when I cancelled the sale ?

I don't sell a great deal on ebay, I usualy just buy heaps but recently due to a business closure I listed a number of ex stock items.  First thing I found out is how many buyers click buy it now and then ask question, and then don't pay and ignore my messages. Then I had a purchaser who bid and won 10 items. The first communication I receive from him was a DEMAND for combined postage. I obliged but he was unhappy with the amount I quoted ($38)  and sent me a message "Why should I pay this much postage when the items would fit in a 3kg satchel" I explained he had just bought 10 brand new items that retail for over $800 for under $80 and as I had made no profit whatsoever I felt it my right to charge for my time and inconvenience. He refused to pay this amount and threatened my 100% rating saying he would leave me 10 negative feedbacks. When I told him I did not wish to deal with him and cancelled the sales he refused my request to cancel and now ebay have sent me a message saying I still have to pay them for the sales. On top of that I discover I cannot leave a neg rating for him even if I go ahead with the sales. This stinks, no wonder people buy something then don't bother paying or like this guy demand combined postage AFTER the purchase. There has to be a way we can let ebay know this is a stupid practise that does not give the seller any rights at all. I will never sell on ebay again, I would make more profit having a garage sale!

Message 1 of 28
Latest reply
27 REPLIES 27

i just won an item in the UK postage was GBP 22.00  but he refunded my payment and cancelled the sale.

he under quoted postage by GBP 40.00 and refused to send it, point is apparantly on UK ebay you dont need the buyer to agree to the cancellation...

Message 2 of 28
Latest reply

You HAVE rights.

Open unpaid item cases for all the items and close the cases 4 days later, you get your fees back, buyer gets strikes and cannot bid or buy from sellers with blocks for 12 months. 

Then you are free to relist. I suggest you read up on selling in site map if you are to continue on ebay.

Don't worry you are not the first to use ebay without reading the instructions first.

image host
Message 3 of 28
Latest reply

you cant blame him for asking for combined postage ,in fact by law he can ask how he wants the package sent , in fact you should of said yes ,then he would be responsable if anything went wrong, also if you sold the 10 articles too cheap thats your fault ,,you cant just say i wil make it up on postage and charge $38 for a 3kg sachel ,and sure he might of been rude ,i am sure you would of met some rude ones before.  have a nice day

Message 4 of 28
Latest reply

That's not right, Joe. The buyer should have asked the OP if she was prepared to combine postage BEFORE purchasing and paying for the items. Once he's paid, the OP has no obligation whatsoever to combine postage and if she decides to do so, it is purely out of the goodness of her heart.

Once he'd paid, the buyer had entered into legally binding contracts to purchase those items at the listed price and had no entitlement whatsoever to combined postage. I suggest you do some reading before giving out any more erroneous information.
Message 5 of 28
Latest reply

You started most of your auctions at a low price. It's not the buyers fault you didn't make a profit. Always start auctions at the lowest you are prepared to accept. That way if you only get 1 bid, you haven't lost out. I learned that the hard way when all my auctions were selling with 1 bid for 99c.

Some of the items had postage of $4.50 or $5.50, how were you going to send them if someone had only bought one of those items? If a buyer had only bought one of them, would you have then upped the postage to $8 or even $13? You can't do that! You can't charge the buyer more post sale because you under quoted.

Same as you can't then charge a ridiculous amount for postage because you didn't make much on the actual sale. It's the quickest way to get defecfed off eBay when the unhappy buyer negs the daylights out of you. 10 negs could well have been enough to drop you to below standard and then you can't sell anything.

If the buyer declined your cancellation request, then I'm afraid you have done your dough as far as the fees go. You could try calling eBay, but I really doubt they'll refund you the fees, especially if they read the messages between you and the buyer. Yes, he threatened you with negative feedback, but you also admitted that you made no profit so were making it up by charging too much postage.

If I got charged $38 for something that could have been sent in a 3kg satchel, I'd be pretty darn miffed too!!

Message 6 of 28
Latest reply

j*oono
Community Member

It looks like your buyer has already left the negs.

You should contact ebay to have them removed.

Joono
Message 7 of 28
Latest reply

Have a look at the OP's most recent completed sales, sheep. There is no way on earth that even the smallest and lightest 10 of those items would fit in a 5kg satchel, let alone a 3kg one. It was the buyer who commented that they'd probably fit in a 3kg satchel and after looking at those items, I'm convinced that they're clearly wrong.
Message 8 of 28
Latest reply

@j*oono wrote:

What a nasty buyer, j*oono! The OP should also refer ebay to the email which stated that the buyer would leave 10 negs if she didn't comply, as that is clearly feedback extortion, and should get those 10 negs removed. I wouldn't mind betting that the buyer is also a reseller, which is probably why he/she is so annoyed.

edit: Check the OP's DSRs as well. They've really been monstered! 😞

Message 9 of 28
Latest reply

@cq_tech wrote:

@j*oono wrote:

What a nasty buyer, j*oono! The OP should also refer ebay to the email which stated that the buyer would leave 10 negs if she didn't comply, as that is clearly feedback extortion, and should get those 10 negs removed. I wouldn't mind betting that the buyer is also a reseller, which is probably why he/she is so annoyed.

edit: Check the OP's DSRs as well. They've really been monstered! 😞

Oh wow, the stars looked good when I checked earlier. I think given that the buyer has used a profanity, eBay should remove them. I would definitely be ringing eBay about those. I wonder if they remove the negs whether they remove the low DSR's too?

Message 10 of 28
Latest reply