Why do I have to pay ebay when I cancelled the sale ?

I don't sell a great deal on ebay, I usualy just buy heaps but recently due to a business closure I listed a number of ex stock items.  First thing I found out is how many buyers click buy it now and then ask question, and then don't pay and ignore my messages. Then I had a purchaser who bid and won 10 items. The first communication I receive from him was a DEMAND for combined postage. I obliged but he was unhappy with the amount I quoted ($38)  and sent me a message "Why should I pay this much postage when the items would fit in a 3kg satchel" I explained he had just bought 10 brand new items that retail for over $800 for under $80 and as I had made no profit whatsoever I felt it my right to charge for my time and inconvenience. He refused to pay this amount and threatened my 100% rating saying he would leave me 10 negative feedbacks. When I told him I did not wish to deal with him and cancelled the sales he refused my request to cancel and now ebay have sent me a message saying I still have to pay them for the sales. On top of that I discover I cannot leave a neg rating for him even if I go ahead with the sales. This stinks, no wonder people buy something then don't bother paying or like this guy demand combined postage AFTER the purchase. There has to be a way we can let ebay know this is a stupid practise that does not give the seller any rights at all. I will never sell on ebay again, I would make more profit having a garage sale!

Message 1 of 28
Latest reply
27 REPLIES 27

Re: Why do I have to pay ebay when I cancelled the sale ?

Bottom line you should not have offered the mutual cancellation, once you did that you were on a hiding to nowhere. Had you just invoiced them with the postage cost and they didn't pay it you would have been home and dry, if they did pay it then you may have got some negs (only one would count for your average) and if they didn't pay you could have gone through the unpaid item process and they would not be able to leave any feedback unless they paid.

See what a trendsetter I am?
Message 21 of 28
Latest reply

What a rude buyer. BTW they did get a discount in postage in the end. If I had got a demmed like that I would have said no and the postage costs per listing stood. Call ebay and get that horriblestuff removed. If people want combined pistage, ask before buying not after the sale.

Message 22 of 28
Latest reply

Message 23 of 28
Latest reply

Damn smart phones....^^

I can see the buyer's side - $38 post for a 3kg stachel (even a 5kg satchel) is extortionate.

Asking for combined post is almost a rhetorical question...   

Buyers see that they have bought the items for $x amount, then the postage on top to get it to them.  Not for the seller to make up the loss in profit throught the postage.  Sorry, but that's just how it is for most, I know the naysayers will disagree, whatever.

Maybe if the seller had explained handling charges per item or something initially.  I get that some of those tops were probably going to be sent large letter so the seller would have made a $2-ish profit on each.  But the seller didn't have anything in place to cover themselves if buyers bought more than one.  It's useful if listings say something along the lines of "happy to combine postage, $1 extra each item" or whatever.

It would have been useful if the buyer messaged first to check the cost of combining post.  But they didn't and since it is the seller that is more vulnerable to repercussions of an unhappy buyer with negs etc, accomodating a buyer is pretty important to avoid this exact scenario.

Message 24 of 28
Latest reply

@black*poppy wrote:

Damn smart phones....^^

I can see the buyer's side - $38 post for a 3kg stachel (even a 5kg satchel) is extortionate.

Asking for combined post is almost a rhetorical question...   

Buyers see that they have bought the items for $x amount, then the postage on top to get it to them.  Not for the seller to make up the loss in profit throught the postage.  Sorry, but that's just how it is for most, I know the naysayers will disagree, whatever.

Maybe if the seller had explained handling charges per item or something initially.  I get that some of those tops were probably going to be sent large letter so the seller would have made a $2-ish profit on each.  But the seller didn't have anything in place to cover themselves if buyers bought more than one.  It's useful if listings say something along the lines of "happy to combine postage, $1 extra each item" or whatever.

It would have been useful if the buyer messaged first to check the cost of combining post.  But they didn't and since it is the seller that is more vulnerable to repercussions of an unhappy buyer with negs , etc, accomodating a buyer is pretty important to avoid this exact scenario.

Sorry, don't mean to disagree, but there were postage prices on each item and the buyer did not enquire at the appropriate time about combined post they waited until after they had bought 10 items.  I offer combined post, and I mention the fact in all my listings as it is relatively easy for me to combine my small items.  If you look at the OP's items, one is a soft leather jacket and one a bulky cardigan.  I don't sell clothing, but am 99% sure just those 2 items will not fit in a 3 or 5 kg satchel.  The individual postage on each item looked reasonable to me and appeared to show the OP had considered postage on each item individually as the prices varied.  And the postage was reduced by nearly 50%.

Just my thoughts, not attempting to offend or start an argument . . . . .

Message 25 of 28
Latest reply

I dunno, I can get four jersey dresses in a 3kg satchel, 5kg satchels are huge. The next step up is a large tough bag (heaps bigger than a satchel - I can get a pair of knee-length boots in one of those WITH the box) - which under 5kg is about $22 plus the bag.  Alot of those items were tees which were to be sent large letter so a bit of give and take.

Even so, from the OPs post it seems that she didn't explain that the $38 was because of the price of the postage, but because she deserved to make some money from the transactions.

I wouldn't be happy with that response either as a buyer.

Harsh buyer though, not condoning those negs at all.

Message 26 of 28
Latest reply

@black*poppy wrote:

I dunno, I can get four jersey dresses in a 3kg satchel, 5kg satchels are huge. The next step up is a large tough bag (heaps bigger than a satchel - I can get a pair of knee-length boots in one of those WITH the box) - which under 5kg is about $22 plus the bag.  Alot of those items were tees which were to be sent large letter so a bit of give and take.

Even so, from the OPs post it seems that she didn't explain that the $38 was because of the price of the postage, but because she deserved to make some money from the transactions.

Totally agree on that point, she didn't explain it very well at all, which is unfortunate, because I thought under the circumstances $38 was reasonable.   I was not aware you could fit that much in a 5kg satchel (as I've never used one), but I guess at $22 plus bag price and perhaps SOD ? $38 still sounds reasonable.  I mean, as a buyer also, if I'm bidding on items that have postage, I take that into account when bidding - not after the fact Smiley Indifferent which is one of the main points I have an issue with, as well as the feedback

Message 27 of 28
Latest reply

@black*poppy wrote:

I'm with you on this one ~ sending a message stating to the buyer that they:

"...had just bought 10 brand new items that retail for over $800 for under $80 and as I had made no profit whatsoever I felt it my right to charge for my time and inconvenience"

is likely to have served to make this disgruntled buyer more angry than they might otherwise have been.

Message 28 of 28
Latest reply