Why do all of my new listings automatically have a 5% discount offer to the buyer. I don't want this

All of my new listings offer a 5% discount but I have not set this up and cannot find where to get rid of it. There is nothing in Help or in the Community topics. When I preview my listing it doesnt show but after I have listed it, the 5% discount is there for anyone to take

Message 1 of 12
Latest reply
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Re: Why do all of my new listings automatically have a 5% discount offer to the buyer. I don't want

As kh5 said, eBay takes care of the discount, not you - it's a promo they've been running for a little while now, and the code tends to change every few months and is normally limited to three transactions per user each time there is a new code.

Although from your point of view it's appearing in your listings, it's really a buyer-specific code that eBay displays to eligable users when viewing listings it can be applied to (there are a few excluded categories as per the T&Cs) - buyers who can't use the code (probably because they've already used it for three previous purchases) won't see it.

It can be handy to mention it to any potential customers enquring about items your're selling, as some people don't notice it or think to try it out - it's occsionally helped me "seal the deal" with a buyer who's been on the fence about purchasing.

NEVERMIND ON TROUBLES!!! LET'S DO HOBBY!!!

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 12
Latest reply
11 REPLIES 11

Re: Why do all of my new listings automatically have a 5% discount offer to the buyer. I don't want

Why don't you want this ? It means potentially more sales for you.

eBay pays the 5% and you get full price.

image host
Message 2 of 12
Latest reply

lyndal1838
Honored Contributor

Not all buyers see a 5% discount on your listings.....I don't see it.

Message 3 of 12
Latest reply

As kh5 said, eBay takes care of the discount, not you - it's a promo they've been running for a little while now, and the code tends to change every few months and is normally limited to three transactions per user each time there is a new code.

Although from your point of view it's appearing in your listings, it's really a buyer-specific code that eBay displays to eligable users when viewing listings it can be applied to (there are a few excluded categories as per the T&Cs) - buyers who can't use the code (probably because they've already used it for three previous purchases) won't see it.

It can be handy to mention it to any potential customers enquring about items your're selling, as some people don't notice it or think to try it out - it's occsionally helped me "seal the deal" with a buyer who's been on the fence about purchasing.

NEVERMIND ON TROUBLES!!! LET'S DO HOBBY!!!
Message 4 of 12
Latest reply

@lyndal1838 wrote:

Not all buyers see a 5% discount on your listings.....I don't see it.

It's the PULL5 code, Lyndal

Message 5 of 12
Latest reply

Ah, that explains it Stawks.....I have already used the PULL5 code.  I thought it ended on the 31/5.

Message 6 of 12
Latest reply

T & C's say 30th June

Message 7 of 12
Latest reply

Diana, it’s one of the good things with eBay, in amongst plenty of not so good.

Its allowed us, with a bit of tweaking ourselves, to shift a bit of slow moving stock. It can really work to your advantage if you market it right and “sizzle the sausage” so to speak.

Make it work for you 🙂 Good luck!

Melina.

Message 8 of 12
Latest reply

@diana.enky wrote:

All of my new listings offer a 5% discount but I have not set this up and cannot find where to get rid of it. There is nothing in Help or in the Community topics. When I preview my listing it doesnt show but after I have listed it, the 5% discount is there for anyone to take

i for one would welcome ebay paying 5% of my price to the buyer, anything that helps sales.

i still get my price, buyer pays less, ebay loses a few bucks.

win win lose situation.

Message 9 of 12
Latest reply

Thanks to everyone for all of your replies. I had no idea about the 5% Ebay funded promo and thought it was something a seller offered as I have used it myself when purchasing. I am not a regular seller/ more like twice a year so would be nice if this was communicated to us via a message or listed in Help topics somewhere to avoid the stress. Anyway it is obviously a great idea and will capitalise on it.

Message 10 of 12
Latest reply