Why do neutrals and 3 star FB count as defects?

millj40
Community Member

I had been ignoring the changes by ebay, so only recently bothered to look at the 'new seller dashboard'.  I have let accidental neutrals slide, on the basis that they didn't affect my score, but suddenly they count as 'defects'.  I was also surprised to see that 3 stars is considered a defect.  I asked around friends and family out of curiosity, and they all rated '3' as being average. 

No matter how well you describe something there are always buyers who don't read descriptions, as well as differences between monitor colours.  If one of those buyers bought the item and gave me a green dot and 3 stars I fail to see how that is my fault or how it is a 'defective' transaction. 

I was shocked at how bad my potential 'defect' percentage is.  It is also not really in my power to change this, I have already fine tuned everything to try to weed out problems and retain top seller status.

I have excellent descriptions, money back guarantee, I always have multiple photographs, yet still get buyers who don't read or who expect me to hand deliver to their door the same day as purchase.  I've had negatives from people as a form of communication -- the best only 5 days after purchase 'hasn't arrived, please fix' (which ebay refused to remove and although the buyer said they would remove it themselves they never responded to a change fb request). 

Honestly, surely ebay will self destruct trying to enforce this ridiculous defect system. 

Message 1 of 3
Latest reply
2 REPLIES 2

Why?

As the defect rate increases more sellers will lose TRS. In other countries TRS sellers are given discounts on FVFs.

Less TRS FVF discounts = more profit for eBay.

Message 2 of 3
Latest reply

True.  It's very shortsighted though. I notice there is no 'standard' seller rating.  It goes 'below standard'  'above standard' and 'top rated'. 

I  think a lot of above standards will end up being below standards and maybe even get banned from selling, if neutrals and 3 stars count.

Sheesh!  I can think of people who would think 3 stars was generous on any transaction, trying to get them to leave a 4 or 5 star would be like trying to rip gold fillings from their mouths. 

I have noticed a few long time sellers already who have stopped selling in the last year, how many will they lose with these changes?

Message 3 of 3
Latest reply