Why do sellers advertise free postage when it is not? False advertising people.

Message 1 of 29
Latest reply
28 REPLIES 28

imastawka
Honored Contributor

Ebay has no option to list as 'postage included'.

Which is what most sellers would prefer,  IMO

Message 2 of 29
Latest reply

eBay wants to boast of free post & encourages sellers to list with it or be thrown down the search results behind the sellers who do offer free post.Everyone knows there is no such thing as free post,it's a marketing trick that goes way back.

For the record,most sellers would prefer the title "included post" or whatever but there is no option for that title.

I guess one benefit that some buyers like is that they know the total price at a glance.

The down side is that with post $ built onto the price of the item so it may make it more expensive.You agree to the total price or don't bid/buy.

Also,if you don't know,eBay takes roughly 10% of the post cost being an extra burden for buyers & sellers.

You know post isn't free,eBay wants it.Blame eBay.

Message 3 of 29
Latest reply

If the powers to be at eBay don't have the logic to name it "postage included". What are sellers that want to sell with postage included supposed to do. You should harass eBay about their incorrect naming of this service not sellers
Message 4 of 29
Latest reply

take your concerns to ebay in writing if you feel so strongly about it.
If we don't play ebays game and offer "free" postage we are not ranked as high in searches. Damned if you do and damned if you don't.
Message 5 of 29
Latest reply

Regardless of the promotion of free post by eBay, in my opinion sellers offering free post when it is not free (with the actual post cost has just been added to the product price directly) have chosen to adopt an unethical trading practices.

Message 6 of 29
Latest reply

Your opinion is just that your opinion. If eBay are happy to miss name it then so be it. I use the free post option as I once charged a handling fee and even though it was only $2 and was clearly stated I was given less than five stars for every transaction for postage cost. I found people hate paying handling, I hated my stars being affected. Problem solved thanks ti eBay. If it is so offensive to see free post, harass eBay. Maybe I'm a fraud, maybe you're a fraud. It is only your opinion that you are a babe. A opinion you're allowed to have because unlike you I'm not a judgmental person. Keep your accusations of fraud to yourself. Or actually do something about it to the people in charge
Message 7 of 29
Latest reply

@wilk1149 wrote:
Your opinion is just that your opinion. If eBay are happy to miss name it then so be it. I use the free post option as I once charged a handling fee and even though it was only $2 and was clearly stated I was given less than five stars for every transaction for postage cost. I found people hate paying handling, I hated my stars being affected. Problem solved thanks ti eBay. If it is so offensive to see free post, harass eBay. Maybe I'm a fraud, maybe you're a fraud. It is only your opinion that you are a babe. A opinion you're allowed to have because unlike you I'm not a judgmental person. Keep your accusations of fraud to yourself. Or actually do something about it to the people in charge

So posters can have opinions, but must not post about fraud ? - forgive me but your post above is very confusing.

Who do you mean "the people in charge?"  eBay ??

I am "in charge" of my business activities and setting the price and post rate of goods I sell.  I would never abdicate my responsibilities in trading and blame eBay - no matter what carrot or stick they wave ... never.

Message 8 of 29
Latest reply

Hey, Since all the people on this fourm are on cloud nine, I will answer your question.

What your talking about is Items that are listed as pickup only are stated on the front page as free postage.  YES FALSE ADVERTISING, WASTE OF TIME EVEN CLICKING TO HAVE A LOOK, They will put in their description [Can post at buyers cost]

I steer clear of all sellers who try this, I wont bother as they try to force bank deposit. There are too many sellers that need to be removed, and ebay wont do anything, and too many sellers selling new cheap chinese LANDFILL.  BEWARE EBAY IS A VERY DODGY PLACE....  NOT MUCH IS REAL... 

Message 9 of 29
Latest reply

@lozyginns wrote:

Hey, Since all the people on this fourm are on cloud nine, I will answer your question.

Cloud nine is a pretty good place to be .... glad you could join the rest of us on this forum lozyginns Cat LOL

cloud9.gif

Message 10 of 29
Latest reply