Why is Ebay still allowing concert ticket reselling ????

Hi All,

This is against ebay rules and ticket companys like Ticketmaster and Ticketek also do not allow this practice.

Clearly people are profiting from this but after reporting over 60 diffeent listings myself and talking in person to a supervisor at the ticket agencies the listings are still on Ebay.

Come on ebay are you trying to profit also?

This is clearly an unfair practice as many people who would attend this concert miss out with these robbers profiting.

People buying these tickets have NO payment protection from paypal as clearly paypal only offer 45 days.

These tickets are not available for months in advance with many people being put in the situation where they could be ripped off.

Ebay you need to cancel these auctions and not allow new listings selling concert tickets to be placed on your site.

I will be watching ebay and if nothing is done will take action with Consumer Affairs and other goverment agencies.

Action must be taken now ebay so people are not being ripped off.

Shane

Message 1 of 54
Latest reply
53 REPLIES 53

Re: Why is Ebay still allowing concert ticket reselling ????

so... in Victoria declared events and in Qld no more than 10% above face value... looks like all other states haven't applied/declared.

No... only a VERY SELECTED number of QLD venues arte restricted to the 10% above face value.

The bottom line is that except for a few venues, eBay allows resale of tickets because it is not illegal in Australia to buy and resell event tickets.

If there are 100,000 teenage girls who want to pay $100 each to see the latest Boy Band, then the promotor has the opportunity to make $10 million from the concerts. If they decide to only issue 50,000 tickets, then 50,000 of the girls are going to miss out. It doesn't matter if there are scalpers or no scalpers, those 50,000 are STILL going to miss out.

The blame for the over demand is on the artists and the promoters, not the ticket sellers.

Message 11 of 54
Latest reply

Lets get the facts straight here.

1/. buy $1499 tickets on ebay today.

2/. Pay using paypal today.

3/. Tickets do not arrive in July 2013 or Ticketek cancel the tickets or seller is no longer registered with ebay

4/. Seller wins buyer loses

Plain and simple ebay SHOULD NOT allow tickets which are being released next year to be re sold on ebay as there is no buyer protection and ebay has a responsibility to offer it hence the buyer protection programme paypal offer which is strictly only 45 days from date of purchase. 

Message 12 of 54
Latest reply

nouveau_retro
Community Member

after the 45-day paypal limit there is then the credit card protection which is often valid for 12 months- however I don't know in these cases when ticket is to be redeemed after 12 months if anyone has any protection at all?

Message 13 of 54
Latest reply

For those that argue that event tickets are just a trading "commodity" on ebay just like all other commodities why does ebay exclude tickets from this policy????

http://pages.ebay.com.au/help/policies/pre-sale.html

copy and past from the policy

Why does eBay have this policy?

eBay has strict guidelines for pre-sale listings to protect our members from potentially poor buying experiences while still enabling them to buy and sell items which are not yet available.

Why has ebay decided not to protect members that buy event tickets on ebay from potentially poor buying experiences?

Hypocrisy and profit comes to mind for mine...however there may be other reasons?

TELL ME AND I WILL FORGET, SHOW ME AND I MAY REMEMBER,, INVOLVE ME AND I WILL UNDERSTAND Confucius 450bc
Message 14 of 54
Latest reply

Thanks viewmont1071.

I can see the One Direction tickets being sold on Ebay for over inflated prices being a disaster for many people.

Tickets are not released until June 2013.

Sound check party tickets being sold on Ebay can ONLY be picked up at the venue by the person who purchased the ticket and photo identification is required.

Ticketek are in the process of cancelling any tickets on Ebay so buyer beware.

I think its a moral obligation of Ebay to cancel these tickets also as many sellers are stating sold out concerts when in fact they go on sale to the general public on Sat 28th.

Message 15 of 54
Latest reply

Ticketek cant cancel the tickets without knowing the seat number. I haven't checked any listings, but usually the seat numbers are not shown for this very reason.

In all the years I have spent on these boards, I am yet to hear of anybody being ripped off by a ticket seller. I have no doubt that it can, and maybe has happened, but there are hundreds (probably thousands) of scams happening on eBay everyday. They should be concentrating on those as far as I'm concerned rather than worrying about listings where the overwhelming majority of buyers are extremely happy with their purchase.

If the tickets are released in June, that gives the seller plenty of time to collect them and forward them to the buyer.

Like everything else on eBay, buyer beware. If you don't think you can trust a seller to come through with the goods, don't buy. Doesn't matter if its $800 for a concert ticket or $10 for a second hand dress same rules of common sense should apply.

photo screen-1-1-1-1.jpg
Message 16 of 54
Latest reply

June 2013.....13 months going on 14...yep that should give them heaps of time... 😐   IMO it should be alowed 8 weeks max before the concert not 6 months or 13 months.

TELL ME AND I WILL FORGET, SHOW ME AND I MAY REMEMBER,, INVOLVE ME AND I WILL UNDERSTAND Confucius 450bc
Message 17 of 54
Latest reply

I reckon there'll be heaps of One Direction tix on the market just before the concert for pretty low prices anyway. They could very well be has-beens by then.

photo screen-1-1-1-1.jpg
Message 18 of 54
Latest reply

nouveau_retro
Community Member

I reckon there'll be heaps of One Direction tix on the market just before the concert for pretty low prices anyway. They could very well be has-beens by then.

my thoughts exactly- probably why the concert promoters chose to cash in on the popularity now rather than risk it in a year-and-a-halfs time- they're obtaining maximum exposure and maximum sales for their 'commodity' right now.

Message 19 of 54
Latest reply

mimte
Community Member

Let's not even get into the moral argument of these scummy scalpers making money on concerts designed for teenage girls.

Let's look at it another way...

IT IS COMPLETELY ILLEGAL!!

http://www.stadiums.qld.gov.au/Policies/Ticket-Scalping.aspx

As previously noted in ebays very own policies.  It is also illegal to BUY tickets from a scalper.  The fines for both offences are listed above.

If ebay is aware of this law, as they obviously are, then aren't they aiding potential criminal activity by providing a platform for it to occur?

I for one am reporting every single case I find.  This must be stopped.  Not just because it is illegal but because it is unjust that these horrid scalpers buy tickets that legitimate fans want.

It's just not on!!

Message 20 of 54
Latest reply