Why is ebay not charged with theft over global shipping ripoff?

How can it be legal to overcharge shipping by firstly inflating actual shipping cost then disallowing combined postage whilst also adding fictitious "import charges"? In any other situation I would hope this would attract criminal charges.

Is this just another example of an internet scam?

Message 1 of 8
Latest reply
7 REPLIES 7

@rosco26 wrote:

How can it be legal to overcharge shipping by firstly inflating actual shipping cost then disallowing combined postage whilst also adding fictitious "import charges"? In any other situation I would hope this would attract criminal charges.

*Sigh*.

Global Shipping is owned by Pitney Bowes, NOT eBay. They can charge whatever rates they like. Mostly the charges are way high because the seller doesn't put the weight or dimensions in their listing, so PB goes on "averages". 

If you wish to combine postage, all you can do is send the seller a message explaining that Global Shipping won't allow combined shipping, and would they consider creating a listing for all the items you wish to purchase as a whole. It has always worked for me, and many others. 

All overseas shipments have "import charges". It used to be only for shipments over $1,000, but now it is for everything. It's not an eBay things, it's an Australian government thing. 

If you think there is criminal activity going on, by all means, call the police. I'm sure they'd be more than happy to take a report.

No, it's not an internet scam. GSP listings are very obvious. If you don't wish to use the service, buy from a seller that doesn't use it. 

Message 2 of 8
Latest reply

Have you done any research at all.  No one is obliged to offer combined shipping, and if the items are materialy different, then it can create significant problems with international shipping, which is a minefield of country specific laws and restrictions, trade embargos etc.

As for the  import charges,  you can blame the Australian Government and there GST on low value imports for that, as international entities required to collect and remit  GST  to the  ATO, are not only permitted to charge what ever they like to do so, they are also permitted to invoice any such charges under any term they wish.

Edit,  Hi  Tippy

Message 3 of 8
Latest reply

@rosco26 wrote:

I'm basically in agreement with most of what you say. While the setup may be unfair, misleading and immoral, they are getting away with what they do within the boundaries of the law.

It's good practice and common courtesy for sellers to combine and in most cases there''s no reason why they shouldn't. Yes the GSP stuffs that up. Another issue with the GSP is the rough handling and cavalier re-packing at the depot. Recently I had yet another item damaged. An LP this time, partly cracked and record scythed through the cover spine. I got sorted in the end.

Anyway, most sellers are very happy to change to USPS as the preferred post carrier.  Most sellers are open to overseas transactions but with some, because the majority of buys / wins are domestic they haven't gotten around to setting the pricing for overseas post. Then it's almost as if an opening is there for it to come in and it has attached itself to the auction.

Message 4 of 8
Latest reply

I've bought two items from the US via the GSP.....and shipping WAS combined. 

I had one large book and one smaller one, I put them in the cart to see if I was going to be charged the GSP cost twice, and to my surprise the cost of one book was split between both books (less for the smaller one) to add up to what the total cost was for one book.

Clearly it IS possible to combine postage but if sellers have to do something to make it work, my guess is most don't know how.

Message 5 of 8
Latest reply

Consider yourself luck Zan, because that loophole was closed years ago. If you were able to use it, fantastic for you! Back in the day, that was the only way to request an invoice to combine postage, via the cart. Then eBay found out about it and stopped it.

Edit: Given this thread was moved from a different sub forum, why was it moved to selling? I would have thought it should have been moved to buying?

Message 6 of 8
Latest reply

But I wasn't talking about years ago, nor did I request an invoice.

I'm talking about a purchase I made in October LAST YEAR!  I put both books into the cart and the GSP was automatically adjusted to just one cost, not double, by splitting the total of one book between the two books with the bigger book GSP slightly higher than the smaller book. 

This was also the purchase where the books were not repackaged (and I know this because I asked the seller to include safe drop delivery instructions for Aust Post..and there they were, exactly as she described).

Also FedEx did NOT handle the delivery in Oz.  After clearing US customs the parcel was handed over to APG*- Australia Post Global - and given a new tracking number which I keyed into MyPost and I was able to follow the parcel's progress through to delivery.  The parcel was delivered much faster than previous GSP purchases (not that I'd used it much - only when I had no choice) and was very smooth.

*About APG

APG eCommerce Solutions (Australia Post Global eCommerce Solutions) journey started in 2013 as Startrack International, focusing on increasing Inbound parcel volumes into Australia from different origins worldwide. In 2016, after a successful growth on Inbound Australia, Startrack International was acquired by Aramex Global Solutions, a joint venture between Aramex and Australia Post that was formed to expand its International footprint and presence outside Australia. In 2019 and with 2 years of exponential and fast revenue growth, Australia Post took full ownership of Aramex Global Solutions to strengthen its International capability and accelerate its expansion strategy in the global e-commerce business. Since this acquisition, the company has been rebranded as APG eCommerce Solutions.

Today APG eCommerce Solutions is one of the leading suppliers of cross-border e-commerce delivery solutions. With an established presence in key global trade lanes, including Asia, Europe and the USA, APG provides end-to-end logistics solutions to a portfolio of iconic global e-commerce merchants. We offer a unique delivery experience thanks to our bespoke platform that combines Australia Post's unrivalled last-mile capabilities with a strong partnership network of postal operators and best-in-class e-commerce delivery companies such as SaiCheng Logistics, Australia Post's joint venture with China Post for China.

Message 7 of 8
Latest reply

@rosco26 wrote:

Here's what the actual law is:

"A business may set whatever prices it chooses for its goods or services. Government agencies will not interfere unless there is evidence of illegal conduct (such as collusion)."

Theft is, of course, against the law - but theft is when someone takes something from you without your knowledge or consent (or informed consent, as using deception to gain money or property from someone else with their full consent is still considered theft). 

This means that the pricing of the postage service is not against the law, despite some feeling like it's "highway robbery", nor is the lack of combined (reduced) postage costs.

The import costs aren't "fictitious", but I agree the labeling is vague, and I suspect that they really should be properly itemised, especially since there is a GST component, so if you were to make an official complaint to anyone about any of these issues, that would likely be the one thing that might be taken seriously (assuming there is no pre or post-sale itemising of the charges; I've never bought anything that was shipped through the GSP so I don't know if it remains as a lump sum charge or you get to see what was charged for A and what was charged for B etc). 

Message 8 of 8
Latest reply