Why is seller performance so easy to go below standard and so difficult to get back?

I’ve been a top rated seller for a very long time, just recently I’ve been below seller standard and I can’t seem to get it back above standard again. Why does eBay make it so easy to loose and so difficult to get back? How do you go from high performance and even power seller at some instances to below standard so quickly, obviously they don’t look at your full history

Message 1 of 9
Latest reply
8 REPLIES 8

Why is seller performance so easy to go below standard and so difficult to get back?

It is a real problem. If say about only 30% of people leave feedback (some may get a higher %) then it does not take much for you to go under when an issue or two arises. The only neg I ever got from over 5000 sales since 2003 (or whatever) ruined my account because of some faulty accessories to the item. They did not return the item as it was fine.  Buyer would not respond and my sales plummented because of how the comment was worded. If someone bought something from say Rebe Sports and was unhappy would they stand out side with a big sign saying so? Unlikey but the feedback system and star ratings are there forever.

Message 2 of 9
Latest reply

@the_2nd_zoo wrote:

It is a real problem. If say about only 30% of people leave feedback (some may get a higher %) then it does not take much for you to go under when an issue or two arises. The only neg I ever got from over 5000 sales since 2003 (or whatever) ruined my account because of some faulty accessories to the item. They did not return the item as it was fine.  Buyer would not respond and my sales plummented because of how the comment was worded. If someone bought something from say Rebe Sports and was unhappy would they stand out side with a big sign saying so? Unlikey but the feedback system and star ratings are there forever.

You can leave follow up feedback to counter incorrect or dishonest feedback left by a buyer. If you provide a polite, factual follow up comment it can help to negate the effect of a buyer going troppo in their neg. Many sellers believe that ebay may lower your search ranking for awhile after recieving a neg. feedback. If true, theres not much you can do about that.

Feedback scores are calculated on a rolling twelve month system. Once a Neg. feedback is 12 months old it drops off of your feedback and is no longer counted in your feedback %. So if you dont recieve any other neg. feedbacks in 12 months, you will be back to 100% feedback.

Message 3 of 9
Latest reply

i WAS ON HOLIDAY SETTING FOR ALMOST A MONTH. i CLEARLY STSTED i WOULD BE AWAY UNTIL 18/4 i POSTED ALL ORDERS ON 18/4 BUT EBAY HAS GIVEN ME 2 LATE SHIPMENT PENALTIES ?????

Message 4 of 9
Latest reply

i WAS ON HOLIDAY SETTING FOR ALMOST A MONTH. i CLEARLY STATED i WOULD BE AWAY UNTIL 18/4 i POSTED ALL ORDERS ON 18/4 BUT EBAY HAS GIVEN ME 2 LATE SHIPMENT PENALTIES ?????

Message 5 of 9
Latest reply

@lmckec2009 wrote:

i WAS ON HOLIDAY SETTING FOR ALMOST A MONTH. i CLEARLY STATED i WOULD BE AWAY UNTIL 18/4 i POSTED ALL ORDERS ON 18/4 BUT EBAY HAS GIVEN ME 2 LATE SHIPMENT PENALTIES ?????

EBAY ROBOTS DONT TAKE HOLIDAYS SO OBVIOUSLY DID NOT GIVE YOU ANY SLACK

Message 6 of 9
Latest reply

Please don't shout.

You're probably lucky you only got 2 defects.

Buyers don't read away messages. They also expect if an item is available to buy they will receive it in a timely manner. Which over a month within Australia wouldn't be considered as.

Maybe make your listings invisible if you don't want to end them. Having items for sale for a month when you know you can't post them is a recipe for disappointment.

Message 7 of 9
Latest reply

If your eBay account is important to you, one way to get back above standard is to list a few cheap items, if possible.

This allows more business and hopefully more feedback, which brings up the standard of your account.

To lmckec2009. As Dave says, if you go on holidays, don't display your items, very simple.

You can leave them listed, just select the hide listings button on your vacation manager, this usually solves the problem.

Buyers cannot then see your listings or buy them.

Anyone going on holiday and leaving their items available to purchase is asking for trouble.

As Dave says, buyers don't read too well and a month is a long time, also, the holiday notice on items is small and easily missed.

I go away from eBay in Feb and always hide my listings. Works well, no unhappy buyers when i come back.

Message 8 of 9
Latest reply

Agreed, we have seen many times on these boards where a buyer has come and posted,complaining an item has nt been sent

When people here look at the item number in question, there is a banner across the top saying the seller is on holiday until xxxx

We reply with that information and the person complaining denies there is any such banner there

People just do not bother reading,even if it is right in their face

And others see it but think they are 'special' and the items will be sent anyway

Message 9 of 9
Latest reply