Why is the Onus of signature on delivery proof on seller?

I sold and posted a $2000 laptop with Signature on Delivery option with Australia Post. Tracking shows status as "Delivered". Buyer claims INR and ebay has ruled against me and asked me to refund. Enquiry with Australia post says the item was "lost in transit" but they cant change the status.

Why is it my responsibility as I have handed over to the carrier and under Good Act in Victoria I have completed the sell. How can I prove or indeed why should I have to prove that signature was checked by Australia post. Any refund to buyer under ebay money back guarantee policy should be borne by ebay. 

What can I do against this finding against me? Can I complain to ACCC?

Message 1 of 22
Latest reply
21 REPLIES 21

Re: Why is the Onus of signature on delivery proof on seller?

I think this policy is moot.  Simply purchasing the signature confirmation does not protect the seller in situations like this.  It does protect against potentially fraudulent claims, but in this case Auspost have not confirmed delivery and there is no signature.

If you send an item, with tracking, with signature, and the item does not arrive, or is lost in transit, the seller is still on the hook.

Message 11 of 22
Latest reply

I had a neg recently where the customer said the item didnt arrive.  They didnt ask for a refund or contact me, just left me a neg saying "Item didnt arrive".  Tracking said it did and Ebay refused to remove the neg.

Message 12 of 22
Latest reply

Well, as for APโ€ฆ.. I think itโ€™s  VERY CONVENIENT  that a $2000 laptop has suddenly fallen into the black hole of Calcutta !  

In all seriousness, itโ€™s high time AP had an overhaul. Think about it. Customer posts $2000 laptop with tracking and signature in good faith, AP state โ€˜oh, we lost that!โ€™ โ€ฆ. Then pay out $100. + postage costs back to customer while an employee somewhere has gained a free laptop! 

Itโ€™s just not right! 
Also, I can understand the buyer wanting his $2000 back, but where does that leave the seller in all this! Bloody high and dry!  

Seller has proof of postage. Wouldnโ€™t it be up to the buyer to chase it up, I know Iโ€™ve had to do that before. 

This is unfortunate predicament for all involved. (Except AP, who now has a freebie ๐Ÿ˜ฃ

********* *********** *********** ************ ************ *********** ***********
Be Kind To Nurses....
They Stop The Doctors From Killing You.
Message 13 of 22
Latest reply

Just curious - how did they deliver an item ' lost in transit '.??

Message 14 of 22
Latest reply

Buyer had paid me pomptly but didn't receive it and Australia post has acknowledged it is lost. So it is neither me nor buyer at fault but rather Australia post. My question is why should I have to refund as my responsibility ends with handing it over to the carrier as per law. Any refund shiuld be provided by ebay themselves.

Message 15 of 22
Latest reply

They won't say, I am assuming there is internal theft inside Australia Post.

Message 16 of 22
Latest reply

I don't understand why it was ever marked as "delivered". What was AP's explanation for that? Could it be that the item was stolen from outside the buyer's home?

eBay-wise: the item is marked as "delivered" and the buyer opened an INR. I'm not sure why the result of the enquiry is even relevant in terms of the INR, given that eBay's own policy states that the item just needs to show as "delivered" to the buyer's address. And it does? I'm not saying the buyer is lying, only that you have done everything eBay asked of you in order to qualify for seller protection. It's tricky, though, because while you don't want to lose $2000, your buyer likewise does not deserve to if they are being truthful.

Message 17 of 22
Latest reply

Unlikely - AP have significant surveillance.

Message 18 of 22
Latest reply

I would request a call back from eBay and as Stawks pointed out hit them with the FACT that you followed through with eBay requirements and as such they need to provide the seller protection for INR as per their own policy 

Message 19 of 22
Latest reply

that's simply not going to happen.  On occasion AP lose items and when they do they'll cover up to $100 plus postage costs.  Additional coverage is optional ($2.50 per $100).  Without the additional coverage AP isn't going to cover the cost of the item.  Ebay isn't either.

It sux, but the seller is going to have to refund the customer and eat the loss.  

AP Lost a parcel of mine (inbound, not going out to a customer) worth $2300.  I got back $115 and an apology.  Nothing for it but to update the expense transaction in the account system and move on.

Couriers and freight forwarders are the same as AP BTW.  All care taken, no responsibility.  You hand over your goods to be delivered you are NOT protected from loss, damage or theft.

Message 20 of 22
Latest reply