Why is there no replacement option when a buyer requests a return?

My buyer doesn't want a refund just a replacement. I am sending a replacement and arranging return of the original item. Which reply do I choose? (see options below). No refund is required. I have messaged buyer. Any advice would be great. Thanks, Gayle

Select a reply

1. Accept the return - Provide a return postage label to the buyer via email. You're responsible for the postage cost. Wait to get the item back before you refund the buyer.
2. Give a full refund - You fully refund the buyer to close this request. The buyer keeps the item.
3. Offer a partial refund - You have one chance to offer an amount. The buyer keeps the item.
4. Send the buyer a message - You can reply to the buyer.

Message 1 of 12
Latest reply
11 REPLIES 11

Why does the buyer want a replacement? What is wrong with the first item?

A replacement is not really a valid option as it is a protection for sellers against buyers who claim the first item wasn't "received", and then mysteriously the second item doesn't get delivered either (this happens). There is no way to enter a tracking number for a second item to protect yourself.

Message 2 of 12
Latest reply

Sorry, I should amend that second paragraph as they obviously did get the item - the protection is to prevent buyer claiming an item hasn't arrived, or is defective, and then getting a replacement and claiming the same thing again. Then you're out 2 lots of product and the money.

Message 3 of 12
Latest reply

Thanks jellybirddesigns, I guess the only way to do it is to do the return for refund and have the customer repurchase. A lot of hassle for the customer ๐Ÿ˜ž

Message 4 of 12
Latest reply

Can the item be sold again, or is it useless?

If it is defective, there's not much point in paying to get it back?

If it can't be used, you should just refund the customer now and then she can repurchase.

It all depends on what is wrong with the item.

Message 5 of 12
Latest reply

We have this problem now & again as with clothing & accessories there are different sizes & the buyer often jumps in & buys a small size when they possibly want an extra large.  Most of the time the buyer messages us so we can do an exchange of size (buyer to pay all postage), however some buyers go via Ebay with a return as there is no option for an exchange.   We then tell them to order the correct size as a new sale & return the original order for a refund as that method has already been activated.  Postage usually works out the same for both methods unless free postage is offered on the original order.

We have contacted Ebay to add an exchange as an option numerous times over the years, however  nothing ever happens.

Message 6 of 12
Latest reply

Iโ€™m in the same situation here but as the buyer.  I bought a product that included 5 of the purchased product.  When I received the package there was only 2. I opened a not as described as there was only 2 not 5 and asked the seller to send the remaining 3. He declined saying I need to to return the 2 with tracking at my expense (donโ€™t think that part was fair given it was their mistake not mine) but there was no option for replacement. Seller said they will send the other 3 when I close the dispute. I declined and said I will close the dispute when I receive the other 3. Now weโ€™re at a standstill. Not sure what to do here. I donโ€™t really want escalate this, just want the 3 missing items.

Message 7 of 12
Latest reply

@justkidzbiz - if the seller is Australian registered, they must send you a shipping label if they want it back. This is at their expense. Their only other alternative is to refund you.

If the seller is overseas, they cannot send a shipping label, so they need to send you return postage funds separately if they want it back, or they must just refund.

How long ago did you open the dispute? There is no standstill - Ebay will step in after a few days.

You can see where the seller is registered on their feedback page.

PS: the seller has no intention of sending you the missing items.

Message 8 of 12
Latest reply

If you don't escalate it, you will lose the dispute and lose your money. You appear to have been around long enough to know how it works. You can always repurchase after you have the refund. Why would you not want to escalate it, when the seller probably has no intention of sending the missing items?

Given they want you to close the dispute before they send, indicates they are probably Chinese. Don't do it.

Message 9 of 12
Latest reply

The battery seller ?

"Start me up I'll never stop......"
Message 10 of 12
Latest reply