Will I still have to ship....?

Had a recent sale of three cushion covers, but when I went to look at the buyers feedback for others there are quite a few red dots.

I'm looking to cancel the sale as I do not feel this will be a great transaction and I will choose "problem with buyers address/other" as my reason to avoid a random negative.

I think that there is a message from Ebay for the buyer to CONFIRM the cancellation - what happens if the buyer refuses this? Will I still have to ship?

Message 1 of 16
Latest reply
15 REPLIES 15

Re: Will I still have to ship....?

@clubesquire wrote:

Digi and others....

If Jelly was to cancel and refund because the item was broken, or damaged, which can happen through no oneโ€™s fault, does Jelly still earn a demerit?

There's only three options when selecting the reason for a cancellation - "there's something wrong with the address", "buyer asked to cancel", and "I'm out of stock or the item is damaged". Unfortunately it's the last one you want to avoid, as that will result in a defect.

Items can be damaged through various ways, often through no fault of the seller, so it sucks that they lumped those two in together, but I suspect it was done because it's a common excuse used when a seller simply decides not to sell after all. (What I usually do if I find I can't supply what the buyer ordered for some reason, is message them, explain the situation, offer their choice of substitute of at least equal value, though I usually allow about 20% more in price as compensation, and then say if preferred the order can be cancelled. That way if they message back and say to cancel, I can select that the buyer requested it without issue). 

In some cases I think pre-emptive damage control is best, in others I think a more play it by ear method is the way to go. Being wary of a buyer is more of the play it by ear type of situation for me - I'll cover as many bases as i can, but essentially proceed as normal, then hope my suspicions or fears were for naught, as I tend to get the feeling if a buyer is trigger happy with the red dots, making the transaction problematic when you don't have to is more likely to result in a neg than if everything goes as normal (this would be on a case by case basis, though, if all they've ever left is red dots for INRs or something, I might proceed differently).  

Message 11 of 16
Latest reply

Thanks Digi ๐Ÿ™‚

Melina.

Message 12 of 16
Latest reply

Looks like you would've received a neutral from them had you opted not to post (going by the neutrals left for others).

Hopefully you won't have any problems, Jelly. Good luck!

Message 13 of 16
Latest reply

I have had to cancel a couple of times because when I went to send the items had become damaged cost me demerits both times from ebay. The usual you tell the truth on Ebay and get penilised for it. I could have sent the damaged items and buyers would have been upset. Do the right thing don't send and refund still earn a demerit. Some encourangement for Sellers.

Message 14 of 16
Latest reply

But from a buyer's perspective you've reneged on the sale, so it's only fair you'd be penalised. Otherwise any seller who's not happy with the final price of an item they've sold through auction can just refuse to send without consequence.

NEVERMIND ON TROUBLES!!! LET'S DO HOBBY!!!
Message 15 of 16
Latest reply

Before I found the block list, I had a few buyers buy from me where their feedback left for others left a lot to be desired. One buyer had 99 out of 100 being red. I got glowing feedback when they received their item.

Yes, red dots suck, but that's all they are, red dots on a screen. Don't give into a coloured dot. Keep doing exactly what you're doing.

Message 16 of 16
Latest reply