With holding funds - Nice new scam by Ebay

comcol
Community Member

After 15 years selling on Ebay they decide to hold funds for two weeks for a sale. 
As usual, there is no reason but it is a nice little scam for ebay.

Lining their bank account with funds and getting interest for it before they have to pay you.

Message 1 of 26
Latest reply
25 REPLIES 25

You have3nt specified why they are holding your funds, maybe before accusing them on a public forum, give us the full story not just one side of the story

Message 2 of 26
Latest reply

imastawka
Honored Contributor

You haven't sold anything for 6 months, which makes you a 'sometimes seller' in ebay's eyes.

If you upload tracking and inform ebay of it's delivery, your funds will be released.

If you decide to start selling again, it's a good idea to be up with ebay's policies, instead of complaining about them.

Message 3 of 26
Latest reply

I'm with you bud. I've stopped shipping completely. Looking for new platform. They've done enough harm here

Message 4 of 26
Latest reply

@prestige - there are no "new" platforms.

Depending on what you sell, Amazon is one option but their guidelines are strict. Amazon can hold payout funds for weeks if they like and there's not a thing you can do about it. They want to make sure there are no chargebacks, disputes or any other claim for up to 7 days AFTER the item shows tracked delivery.

Etsy is another option as long as your items are more than 20 years old, handmade or a supply item (like beads). Can take many weeks or months to start getting sales though, and Etsy has also started holding something like 75% of established seller payouts if they feel the seller is not meeting their criteria.

I really don't know why people think Ebay has such bad policies when they are fairly liberal compared to other platforms.

A website of your own might work, but takes a lot of money to get rolling and promote.

Or maybe Facebook Marketplace?

Let us know if you find somewhere else that we don't know about.

Message 5 of 26
Latest reply

"I really don't know why people think Ebay has such bad policies"

Itz cause we been here awhile and itz gotten worse and worse and worse.  They just took 17% from my sale. That's A LOT compared to what they were doing when they started out.   A $48 cut on a $290 item??? C'mon!!!!!

Their FEES are HIGHER than ever. They are HOLDING our money to squeeze even MORE profit. And I think they're even DELAYING shipping to justify the long holds. I can't prove that yet but I'm keeping an eye out, and I'm doing my own shipping labels from now on.

Message 6 of 26
Latest reply

@littlegoslings wrote:

"I really don't know why people think Ebay has such bad policies"

Itz cause we been here awhile and itz gotten worse and worse and worse.  They just took 17% from my sale. That's A LOT compared to what they were doing when they started out.   A $48 cut on a $290 item??? C'mon!!!!!

Their FEES are HIGHER than ever. They are HOLDING our money to squeeze even MORE profit. And I think they're even DELAYING shipping to justify the long holds. I can't prove that yet but I'm keeping an eye out, and I'm doing my own shipping labels from now on.

How are ebay delaying shipping? YOU have the items, ebay DON'T. YOU post the items, ebay DON'T. YOU can't prove that ebay are delaying shipping, because THEY don't post the items. YOU do. 

As for the holding our money to squeeze even MORE profit, PLEASE explain. Are you going to roll out the old chestnut "ebay are investing our money on the short term money market"? Save yourself the trouble.

Message 7 of 26
Latest reply

I suspect the $48(ish) includes the fees on postage. I suspect the $290 conveniently neglects to include postage.

eBay have been charging fees on total price, including postage for many years. Paypal always did.

17% of $290 is $49.30, not $48, so we already see a discrepancy.

Message 8 of 26
Latest reply

ton.bai
Community Member

I agree Ebay are the most disgusting greedy scheming corporation known to man. 

Message 9 of 26
Latest reply

I can think of worse ones

Guessing someone did'nt get special treatment and did'nt like it

Have you shared your feelings on all the eBay forums or just for us lucky Aussies?

Message 10 of 26
Latest reply