Would anybody know the legalities of free Standard Postage on Expensive Items in the post ????

Just wondering about the legalities of sending Expensive Items ( $100.00 or more) with Free Standard postage. 

Message 1 of 30
Latest reply
29 REPLIES 29

Would anybody know the legalities of free Standard Postage on Expensive Items in the post ????

Entirely legal.

And entirely at the seller's risk if the item doesn't arrive.

Message 2 of 30
Latest reply

Anything I sell over $60 I send registered post or signiture on delivery. This means I 'm covered if the item gets lost in the mail against Paypal claims. I often used to insure items over $200-$300 but have never had to claim, so dont do this as much now. Using these systems I have never had any problems.

Message 3 of 30
Latest reply

I don't think that is entirely correct. There are several ways of proving postage with standard post to paypals satisfaction.

Message 4 of 30
Latest reply

But you will not be covered if you don't take out insurance. Yes, there are ways to cover your backside without having to pay for 'extras', but you need to weigh up what your reputation is worth.

SOD only covers to $100, anything more requires insurance. If you send a $1000 item without insurance and it goes AWOL, you may well be covered if you can prove postage, But your buyer will be $1000 out of pocket. For the sake of $15 in insurance payment.

But there is no guarantee that the seller doesn't include prudent insurance just because they offer 'free' postage. I certainly do. If I sell an item worth more than $100, and it has happened, I pay for SOD and insurance from 'my pocket'. But the listing says 'free' standard post.

I know what my response would be if I was the buyer and the seller tried the 'lodged' gambit.

Message 5 of 30
Latest reply

@horizon1907 wrote:

Just wondering about the legalities of sending Expensive Items ( $100.00 or more) with Free Standard postage. 

Your contract for postage/supply/delivery is with the delivery company ie Aust Post, and you still pay them, so, the "free' factor ios irrelevant.

In saying that, in a contract there is no definitive amount set for consideration, it doesn't have to be sufficient, it need only exist and doesn't have to be in financial measures.

but with aus post, you still pay for the service (well someone does) and you also could be wise to insure as well.

Some people can go their whole lives and never really live for a single minute.
Message 6 of 30
Latest reply

Buyers should be made aware of the risks of online shopping rather than getting the "paypal buyer protection" thrown in their face. Do other online retailers operate like this? I register/insure high cost orders at my own expense but I don't think I should have to as quite frankly it is not my problem if Australia Post stuff up (or a package decides to get squished or stolen). I want buyers to have the best buying experience possible but there really needs to be a line drawn in the sand.

If a buyer thinks they can order $1000 worth and not pay insurance they only have themselves to blame if an item goes "missing".

Message 7 of 30
Latest reply

On large orders, I will generally wear the cost of postage and insurance myself  (orders over $100).  Anything over $50 and below $100, that I will advise that insurance would be a good idea, and offer to go halves with them.  As I am paying the postage (most of my items are 'free post'). I've always had positive responses.  They are very appreciative, and are happy to pay half the insurance/registered post cost. 

Message 8 of 30
Latest reply

I think I missed the whole point of the OP's post about the so called "free" part, in that it seems to shift the responsability back onto the seller?

Message 9 of 30
Latest reply

You're not alone.

I'm not sure if they are asking if it's okay to just chuck anything, regardless of value, in the red box, or if they are a buyer wanting to know what the situation is.

I would posit that if the seller offers 'free' post, then the seller is obliged to provide whatever protection is necessary within that 'free'.

As I do.

If a buyer has an INR for an expensive item and said item doesn't turn up, then the buyer has a legitimte grievance. At the very least, if Paypal won't play, cause to contat the PIO or FOS.

Message 10 of 30
Latest reply