a most disrespectful business

This may be the last time I post in these pages. I have often thought about giving eBay the middle finger salute and taking my business elsewhere, but like an abused spouse I just seem to keep coming back. Before I throw in the towel for good tho, I would like to explain my reasons to someone who, unlike the many helpdesk workers I have spoke to in the last month, may be willing to listen to me.

Perhaps my experience might strike a chord with some of you. If so, I'd like to hear from you.

I have been an ebay seller for over 10 years, turning over about $8000 a month. What started as a hobby has now become my primary income - all legit with the tax office too. Until recently I was considering expanding my business and possibly employing someone to assist with mundane chores such as data enrty and answering questions.

In the last month I have seen my seller performance drop to below average, lost my power seller status, and am now unable to list under my ebay store subscrition. All of this inspite of an excellent DSR and consistently high feedback.

The reason has to do with recent policy changes which make it impossible for me to invoice my buyers with the correct postage charges.

Over the last few months certain functions have been removed from the checkout postage. At varying times the 'request combined postage' option has disappeared from the checkout, as has the 'send revised invoice' feature from selling manager. Up until very recently the 'send invoice to buyer' was also removed from the bottom of email notifications. In some instances buyers report being required to make immediate payment through paypal, even tho this condition was not stipulated by me in the listing. And god help anyone using a phone app that wishes to make multiple purchases. There seems ot be no choice but to pay multiple lots of postage and then complain about being overcharged..

This is where it starts to unravel. These changes all seem to have come since eBay decided it was fair to charge sellers a pecentage of the shipping fee, even tho this is a cost, which must be carried by the buyer or the seller, not a profit to which ebay would be rightly entitled to its fair share. I wouldn't be so cynical as to suggest that ebay are playing this to their advantage by making it harder for sellers to offer combined shipping, but I'll admit that the thought has crossed my mind.

Under current policy, a seller who initiates a paypal refund where there is no dispute incurrs a 'defect' on the transaction. The same thing happens if you cancel a transaction specifying out of stock as a reason. (The second option - buyer has requested a refund or changed his their mind is often confusiing to buyers who must agree to the cancellation in order for the seller to recoup their fees.) 

In recent months I have had a couple of large sales where the buyer has overpaid and requested a refund, or, seeing the excessive total in the checkout has elected to pay by 'other'. In these instances the only option for me is to refund the payment in total or cancel the sale. To comply with ebay policy as best I can I tried relisting combined orders under the title PRIVATE SALE and included the correct price and fixed postage price in the listing. That seemed to work, the buyers paid the correct shipping and ebay collected the appropriate fee.

As a result of this my April performance evaluation put me below standard. I can't relist items as they expire or create any new listings, and the sudden drop-off in sales indicates that my items fallen to the bottom of the search results. I have contacted customer support on an almost daily basis and sent numerous emails. I am yet to speak to the same representative twice, and the responses I get to my emails, at least the ones written in a version of english that's recognisable, indicate that the they havent read, or understood the question.

On the odd occasion where I've felt like I've made some progress, I've then received different advice from the next rep. For instance I was told that once my seller evaluation returned an above avarage result I could request a higher selling limit. Nuh-uh. My last evaluation puts me at 'above standard' and when I spoke to trust and safety I was told I need to wait another 30 days. "Before we can increase your selling limit, we need to make sure that you are consistent giving excellent products and services to your buyers."

For the sake of ever loving f###. I have been consistently giving excellent service to my buyers for over 10 years with many repeat customers. If eBay simply dont want my money I guess thats an outcome I'd just have to deal with. But when they cant be bothered, or are incapable of dealing with a problem that goes a little off-script, it is just plain frustrating. Even more fristrating is this is a problem THEY CREATED.

Presently I have a leaking roof, my car rego is due and it doesn't look like I'll be able to make my mortgage payment this month.

I guess this was bound to happen, so my advice to anyone with inititative and a sensible business idea considering opening an ebay store is just dont bother. Unless you are dop-shipping cheap plastic gizmo's out of a factory in southern China, its just not worth the agony.

Thanks for listening to my story. If anyone from eBay is employed to moderate these forums, and suffficiently connected within the larger business to bring my complaint to the attention of someone who doesn't work in a call centre, I'd like to hear from you also.

Message 1 of 43
Latest reply
42 REPLIES 42

*amandajane*
Community Member

I agree with you entirely here regards ebay. Its a well known fact Ebay are trying to get rid of sellers. I like you had good DSRs etc and can see a lot in common with your "story" in terms of how Ive been treated recently. The truth is they want to get down to a level that offers buyers a simpler choice of a few big sellers not a complex and uncontrolled number of small sellers. By big I mean really big sellers. They are the ones ebay feels they can control (and in due course put their FV fees up with) knowing that if there are a few sellers in each category they wont mind as they can either absorb the extra fees or put their prices up so ebay can earn more without the seller moaning as they too are in a monopolistic situation

The bottom line is ebay dont want low to middle sellers. Bear in mind AliBaba from China is now massively bigger than ebay and in due course will repeat their China model globally so ebay have to either mimmick it or go under. As with other people who have replied on your post, the best thing to do is consider your own website or other platforms (think of "Brazilian Jungle" as an example!).

I have learned that the stress and worry of ebay isnt worth the hassle and impact on your health, wealth and happiness!

Message 31 of 43
Latest reply

I was at my local barber shop yesterday getting a haircut and was chatting to a person there while waiting.

She said she had never bought anything online ever in her life (aged mid 40's I would think) so on the weekend she had joined up with ebay.

I asked her if she knew about seller defects and she said no, so I explained to her what happens when she leaves feedback and star ratings.

She was horrified to learn how a seller will be given a defect even if she was to leave feedback that was "normal" to her.

ie middle of the road neither good nor bad.

She would have thought that if she left a 3 for stars it should not give the seller a defect, only if 1 or 2.

Also if she left neutral feedback as she considered that to be "normal".

She said she was glad I told her that so now she will be very careful how she leaves feedback.

But she also went on to say that knowing that she is no longer very inclined to shop on ebay as she thought that was very unfair (and she used the word disrespectful) treatment of the sellers.

So I told her about the Ali sites mentioned above and she was going to take a look at those.

So there is no way that when new buyers sign up they are even told about defects and how they work.

Message 32 of 43
Latest reply

@clarry100 wrote:

In our case we are quite sure buyers rely on Best match search heavily.

We use a particular search term to test where our listings sit in the results.

When the search results are up high our sales are high and vice-versa.

So I think it depends on the type of item you have listed if/not it is suited to a Best Match search.

This isn't really logical unless your listings end and have to be relisted.  If you're using GTC and you have high sales there'd be no reason for you to drop in search results if high sales is what keeps you at the top, because being at the top will ensure you get high sales, and high sales will ensure you stay at the top. 

If your search standing is determined by your sales volume, as you're saying, there'd be no way to ever get to the top of the list if you have low sales.  In other words, if your sales are low you'll always be stuck at the bottom in search results, and if sales are high you'll always stay at the top.

I never check best match either for buying or to see where my items fall.  I think most people who buy my items would tend to browse the category rather than use a specific search, which is just as well considering how hopeless the search engine has become.  I just make sure I have listings starting and ending on every day of the month.  I'm not going to jump through hoops just to try and get seen at the top in best match because it may not work anyway.

Message 33 of 43
Latest reply

Clarry, you are right & I think you can even go a lot further than that. It is not just new ebayers who would not be aware, it would also be masses of people who have been members for a decade or more.

Think of it this way: If you are an occasional buyer (and this describes a lot of ebayers), you might have signed up, you would have joined paypal & you would roughly know your way around the 'My ebay' tab & be able give and get fedback. That's all you need to know to get along. Why would you spend time reading up on every ebay condition? You wouldn't.

I used to be a seller back a decade ago and I had no idea of the finer details of stars etc till I came on this board.

What you have on here is a very small group of boardies who know a lot more about the inner workings of ebay than the average buyer.

Yes, the ebay system is flawed and it is that which needs to change because buyers aren't going to.

Message 34 of 43
Latest reply

I agree it seems that its consistent sales volume that makes your listings stay towards the top of search results.

But as buyers dwindle this time of year our sales volume falls and so does the position of our listings on the search results.

What very often happens is that a return buyer will come back and make a larger order across several of our listings.

Then we notice that those particular listings zoom back up towards page #1 or so.

We then get a surge on these items for a day or two then they back off again as the listing falls away in the results.

Sometimes we might get a sale or two on other items if someone happens to click on the links to our shop we have embedded in all our descriptions. And we could then get a surge in sales on another item or two.

I can't tell you how Cassini works really but it sure looks very much like to us that the higher up in the search results you are the more sales you will get and vice-versa. It works very consistently this way for us.

Our store listings are all GTC and the end/relist dates are randomly scattered across the month.

Message 35 of 43
Latest reply

Not many realize that Ebay WANTS all lower and middle range sellers gone off the site. That is why they have so many BS issues from Ebay and get hassled. That is why they never rank in best match and why they are often hidden in searches.

I now sell away from Ebay and it is a LOT cheaper and better profit both for buyer and seller.

The prices you now pay on Ebay are far dearer than you can buy directly due to the ridiculous fees. 

Message 36 of 43
Latest reply

Lol, I got a defect as a customer broke their toy....

Even tho I went out of my way n fixed it, at my cost,

And customer was happy, customer closed the

case. I got the defect......should only b a defect if

customer does not close the case, but ebay went

the other way with their rules.

So moral of the story, sell nothing that can be brocken

by customers easily so they cant open a case

for any reason about it. Tho they can for any reason they like.

Sadly even if its late u can still get a defect, n then theres the DSRs....

Need one of the competing sites to advertise on TV....

I no longer run my feature store, nor do I list the RC toys much any more.

Not sure if others in the category are getting any cases but

just not worth the bother.

Message 37 of 43
Latest reply

Thank you all for your contributions.

Here's an update from me.

After a month of beating my head against the brick wall that is ebay trust and safety, in desparation i sent a letter to ebay's Australian headquarters. I wasn;t expecting anything, like who could possibly work in an office in Sydney that could help me when i'd been constantly told in emails and phone calls that noting could be done about my situration until my next review at the end of 30 days...

Lo and behold I got a phonecall from ebay last night. My power seller status is now reinstated and my selling limit back to where it was before this nonesense started.

Now i just have to make up for a month's lost sales by relisting all my stock on the same day, rather than have listings spread out over a 30 day period.

Better than nothing I guess.

An apology would have been nice, and maybe some small token of compensation for lost revenue, but whatever.

Message 38 of 43
Latest reply

Fantastic news and I hope you manage to get your sales back on track.

Message 39 of 43
Latest reply

Wahoo, yay - that is fantastic news - you've just made my day !!

Smiley clapping.jpg

And it would seem they responded to your letter fairly promptly too.  Perhaps some other Sellers having issues could try the same approach.

Best of luck & I hope you have some success making up the lost sales Smiley Happy

Message 40 of 43
Latest reply