are books just terrible sellers or what?

nobody wants books ive found. theyre bulky junk that are impossible to get rid of, they have NEGATIVE VALUE most of th etime because there's an associated cost with disposing of them.

i stuggle to sell them anywhere, and even worse because of the way AusPost calculates shipping (width of item) the minimum shipping fee on them, even small books like a pocket dictionary is normally about $9.00, making them even more impossible to get rid of. ive had buyers try to scab a four book bundle off me for $1 and i took it because i knew nobody else would buy them anyway.

NEVER buying a book again becausae when or if you ever wanna re-sell it you know you wont be able to get rid of it without dumping it in a charity bin somewhere (where  it'll just be thrown in a regular bin after most likely).

Message 1 of 68
Latest reply
67 REPLIES 67

joz15au
Community Member
Some sellers do quite well with them I believe.
Message 2 of 68
Latest reply

Some of the book sellers on this forum would beg to differ and are selling books pretty well often than not.

I suppose it depends on what sort of books you're selling?

Message 3 of 68
Latest reply

the f they sellin ???

Message 4 of 68
Latest reply

Think of it like car parts. If have a brand new rear 1/4 panel of a XY falcon, compared to one off a hyundai I will have no trouble selling it. Books are no different and you need to be specific in what you sell and most will be mass printed titles everyone has no one wants.

Message 5 of 68
Latest reply

^ i  heard the same thing when i sold cds, its not true. 'mass seller' items sell pretty well, while obscure niche titles barely break $3 an item. ebay has been infested with normie buyer scabs who refuse to pay anything other than a rock buttom price but are the same demographic of shoppers who you'll find in big w, they're looking for the kind of mass market **bleep** you can get in a big box store but for next to nothing or almost free.

Message 6 of 68
Latest reply

imastawka
Honored Contributor

To make money on books, you have to be selective and know what you're looking at.

Who wants a pocket dictionary when everyone has either a computer at home/school, or at the very least a phone that sits in their pocket taking up less space than a book?

I repeat, do some research on what to buy to resell.

You have to know what sells - not everything does and there's no point listng it.

Message 7 of 68
Latest reply

im just trying to get rid of a lot of the stuff i own i dont want anymore without having to toss it in a bin or a charity bin (which is usually the same thing). its not like im going out there looking for stuff to sell. 

the pocket dictionary has seen more interest than any other book ive listed, obscure or not.

as i said before, books are usually lousy sellers because you get killed on the shipping cost. no one wants to pay anything extra for a book on top of that hefty $9.20 shipping,

Message 8 of 68
Latest reply

I dunno about that.

I've spent big on shipping for books.  Granted, relunctantly, but I bit the bullet.

I've mainly bought for my grandson (not children's books).

If he's showing an interest in reading because he enjoys it, then I'm gunna keep buying.

I also see the resale value if he doesn't want to keep them.

Message 9 of 68
Latest reply

could you buy all my books i have listed rn pls

ill give ya a spesh deal

Message 10 of 68
Latest reply