crazy aussie post logic

went to post a parcel today

the parcel had 5 items in it  weight was 560 grams post office wanted $13.00 odd

I thought no way

so I put 3 items in 1 small padded envelope

and 2 items in another padded envelope

the total cost to post was $1.80 for 1 and $1.20 for the other

saving me $10.00 to me its crazy what aussie post are doing for the sake of  an extra 60gramms  they want to charge $10.00 more

Message 1 of 20
Latest reply
19 REPLIES 19

crazy aussie post logic

Thats the way the cookie crumbles unfortunately-500gms or 3kg.:-(

Message 2 of 20
Latest reply

crazy aussie post logic

Yep - we had one yesterday which weighed 660g from Hobart to WA. It was actually cheaper to split it into two parcels of 330g ($13.20 v $17.95 - and only $19.90 to send them both Express Post).

Just one of those things with the regulatory requirements on Australia Post re letters and small parcels.

On one hand ... it's crazy that it costs me the same to post a 330g parcel from Hobart to Darwin as it does to have it posted to someone with a PO box at the same Post Office that I lodge at.

On the other hand it is fantastic that I can get the item delivered to Darwin at no extra cost, and that I have that degree of predictability with 98% of what I sell.

It just goes to show that it is worth taking the (very small amount of) time needed to understand postage rates.

Message 3 of 20
Latest reply

crazy aussie post logic

and buyers are happy because envelopes go airmail 🙂

Message 4 of 20
Latest reply

crazy aussie post logic

One other important thing to note when sending parcels over 500g is that the postage price can increase with the further the distance the parcel travels from its current location.

AusPost Prepaid 3kg satchel is a flat rate of $12.50 to anywhere in Australia, though. Posting to the same state will usually be cheaper than that, though, if you choose a regular parcel.

Message 5 of 20
Latest reply

crazy aussie post logic

You must have had a lot of packaging, plonka. $1.20 equals 125g or less (including the envelope), $1.80 250g. So a max of 375g.

Plus the cost of the envelopes, so not quite $10.00 more.

As a matter of interest, a B1 box with click & send costs $1.75 for the box and $6.50 postage, and the weight limit is 15kg. So you could have sent the items properly protected for $8.25.

Message 6 of 20
Latest reply

crazy aussie post logic

Yes the costs are very expensive for over 500grams but:-

as you found out there are other ways of posting.  It certainly pays to check all the other options, put stamps on them and post in the letter box. :-x

They must make huge amounts of sales from eBay customers.

Message 7 of 20
Latest reply

crazy aussie post logic

You could have posted in several different ways for less than thirteen bucks, B1 box or 3kg click & send ebay satchel, with Paypal protection, for instance.

As your combined weight for the two letters is way under 500g how come the parcel was weighing over?

See what a trendsetter I am?
Message 8 of 20
Latest reply

crazy aussie post logic

Flat items under the size 260mm x 360mm x 20mm 500g can be sent as large letters. $1.20 up to 125g, $1.80 up to 250g and $3.00 up to 500g.

However you don't get cover for large letters. If you register a parcel you get up to $100 cover. But you don't get any cover for sending a large letter via Registered Post.

Advantage of sending items as large letters are lower price and quicker than parcel when sending parcel to state far a way because letters go via air not via road like parcels.

Photobucket
Message 9 of 20
Latest reply

crazy aussie post logic

However you don't get cover for large letters. If you register a parcel you get up to $100 cover. But you don't get any cover for sending a large letter via Registered Post.

Are you sure? The info on APs website doesn't seem to exclude large letters from insurance, only things like inadequately packed or prohibited items (eg bullion).

Message 10 of 20
Latest reply