eBay gave buyer free postage for no reason

Just sold an item today (182199837858) and the buyer was able to pay for it with no postage charge included. The sales order says "Promotional Postage Service" $0 but I have no promotions running. It's really bizarre! I can't see anything wrong with the listing (it's recently been purchased by others and postage was added as normal) and this has never happened before.

Anyone know what's going on?

Message 1 of 24
Latest reply
23 REPLIES 23

I've gone back in your sold listings to 11-8, all have postage in them including that one.

Check your payments to see if eBay is footing the discount.

image host
Message 2 of 24
Latest reply

imastawka
Honored Contributor

I also see postage on that item.

You do, however, have free postage for purchases over $20

Message 3 of 24
Latest reply

as stawks said - you do have a free postage promotion running (screenshot attached). did the buyer happen to buy more than 2 items or more or spend over $20? if so, that'd be the reason why.. 

Message 4 of 24
Latest reply

just had a look at that listing you mentioned in your post and it appears that buy bought 10 of the item? 2 lots of 5? so they'd be entitled to free postage with your promotion that is running. 

Message 5 of 24
Latest reply

I thought so too, but the OP says the item was bought today.

That purchase of 10 was made on the 19th

Message 6 of 24
Latest reply

Says free postage for orders over $20 and 2+ items well the 2+ items to me means any 2 items purchased also has free postage?

Message 7 of 24
Latest reply

You have 798 items with this promotional offer lol why can't you see this as we can?

Message 8 of 24
Latest reply

Hey eezi maybe only buyers can see the promotion and not the seller?

Message 9 of 24
Latest reply

The Paypal payment says the buyer didn't pay postage, so it's not that ebay footed the bill because the buyer used a coupon or something.

The buyer did buy 10 sets in 2 orders (2x 5) but only paid for one (with no postage). She didn't pay for the second lot, which DOES have postage added in the sales record that I can see - she has told me she wants that one canceled.

The total paid was under $20 so it shouldn't have been free postage. The free postage thing has always worked well before.

I'm wondering if there's a bug whereby if someone "buys" (without paying) 2 (of the same?) things worth $20+, ebay applies my free postage instruction but gets confused when the buyer then only pays for one thing. The time stamps show she bought both items THEN paid for one of them a miunute later. Why didn't ebay combine the items? And if it did, how was she able to uncombine them?

My main concern is that it doesn't happen again!

Message 10 of 24
Latest reply