eBay has limits for new sellers so why not for new buyers?

Last night I posted in an ecommerce group about a buyer who was able to bid over $93,000 within 3 days of opening his eBay ID on 55 transactions.  He is now deregistered but there is nothing in place to stop him doing it all again.

I discovered that in the US they have been having the same problem.  Buyer creates ID and purchases about 50 items and doesn't pay.  However their buyer doesn't leave negs, he just marks the items paid but doesn't pay. Some sellers don't wait to check the payment has been received and post out the item.  The buyer then creates a video of himself opening up his new gift to post online.  Eventually the buyer is shut down and only weeks later he has opened another ID and done it again. X-(

I don't understand why we do not have limits on how many items a new buyer can purchase before there is proof of payment for any of them. 

Message 1 of 8
Latest reply
7 REPLIES 7

Re: eBay has limits for new sellers so why not for new buyers?

there is a section in site preferences that a seller may choose

Buyers who may bid on several of my items and not pay for them

Message 2 of 8
Latest reply

I reckon it comes down to the fact that a bad buyer won't stop too many people selling here, but a bad seller can ultimately stop several people buying here, so the 'duty of care' for members is weighted on one side. 

I would like to see some measures in place that help reduce or prevent cases like those mentioned, but sellers are often on their own with most problems that can occur.

Message 3 of 8
Latest reply

there is a section in site preferences that a seller may choose

Buyers who may bid on several of my items and not pay for them

Unfortunately that only stops them from buying too many of my own items and doesn't stop them buying from 50+ sellers with no intention of paying for any of them.

Message 4 of 8
Latest reply

Unfortunately that only stops them from buying too many of my own items and doesn't stop them buying from 50+ sellers with no intention of paying for any of them.

but that makes it only slight nuisance for each of these sellers, may cost them few dollars in listing fee.  Fraudulent seller can defraud people in only very short time  tenths of thousands of $.  If they were allowed to list 100 non existent expensive items for 1/2 of the usual price, they could make a fortune.

000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000

Voltaire: “Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities, Can Make You Commit Atrocities” .
Message 5 of 8
Latest reply

Many many years ago, there was limits on buyers.

l can't remember what they were because it was over 10 years ago but it was something like a cap on bidding over $500.

You had to pay up and complete that lot of purchases before you got to buy anything else.

Tis a foggy memory but surely someone here remembers it?

Message 6 of 8
Latest reply

Last night I posted in an ecommerce group about a buyer who was able to bid over $93,000 within 3 days of opening his eBay ID on 55 transactions.  He is now deregistered but there is nothing in place to stop him doing it all again.

It took far too long to deregister this buyer. So much stress for a lot of sellers. And yes, he could well do it again under another ID

Message 7 of 8
Latest reply

[SN post 4] "that makes it only slight nuisance for each of these sellers, may cost them few dollars in listing fee" 

On this ID I sell a lower price product, and yes it could be described as a "slight nuisance" for sellers who also deal in primarily lower price products, with low listing fees.

I think buyers who miss out on a much desired item at auction - or win an auction, but end up paying considerably more for a product than they would have otherwise, due to the bids made by this type of buyer - might also see it, in different terms. 

I think it is also more than a "slight nuisance" when you are involved in selling much higher priced products or when you are selling items that need to be sold and collected before a certain deadline (ie moving house - selling a car - selling tickets)  IMO it might be considerably more inconvenient, expensive and frustrating in these situations X-(

Message 8 of 8
Latest reply