eBay, please answer basic questions re this mornings Webinar on MANAGED PAYMENTS

Immediate questions spring to mind. Would love eBay's response.

1. Under the new scheme, item/s need to be posted upon receipt of order.

The video stated that eBay will guarantee payments to the seller.

Does this mean there will be no more 'unpaid items'?

If so, wonderful.

If not, then why would we post an item before seeing the $ in our bank account?

2. We constantly refund buyers via paypal for making multiple purchases/payments because the eBay shopping cart system does not allow buyers to ask for combined postage.

This has been broken for years, our reports to eBay re this have not been actioned.

With managed payments going to our bank account, how would we refund excess postage back to the buyer?

and how long does the buyer have to wait to get their refund in their account?

3. Re Disputes and charge-backs, does this mean eBay will have pre assigned authority from us to withdraw from our own bank account to refund the buyer?

4. I saw on the Restricted Items list once this Managed Payments comes into affect, there are items we will no longer be able to sell. What are we supposed to do with the current stock of these items?

4a.  Is an ashtray able to be sold moving forward? Is it a smoking assessory? 

5.  If a buyer pays via credit card, we get notified and we post. What happens if the credit card payment does not go thru? Whose loss is this? Does eBay remove the money from us? or does eBay wear the loss?

Thanks

Message 1 of 16
Latest reply
15 REPLIES 15

Re: eBay, please answer basic questions re this mornings Webinar on MANAGED PAYMENTS

Thanks Digital Ghost... yes that's what I saw. I guess I was thinking broader than myself....I post at a very small country but busy LPO and there is a couple that come in and are regulars, get their items from garage sales and sell them off. I assume sellers like this [and all the other general households just selling their items] would have no form or 'business registration'. So would you assume if they clicked 'no, manage my business as a sole trader'...the section where you need to 'select your legal entity' would either change to something else or vanish?

I guess my thinking process is based on some information I heard at a conference where eBay believe their nearest competitor is Amazon [where I would argue it is another site perhaps along with Amazon] and I am always watching for their next move which is perhaps toward eBay being strictly business sellers with new items....

Message 11 of 16
Latest reply

Re: eBay, please answer basic questions re this mornings Webinar on MANAGED PAYMENTS

@cr.love wrote:

I am always watching for their next move which is perhaps toward eBay being strictly business sellers with new items....

I don't see that happening, TBH. That would wipe out a large section of sellers, some of whom have extremely large inventories and sales (some may be corporate sellers, as well, but still be selling secondhand). 

I could be wrong but I expect eBay would be asking for this info to differentiate account types, and as part of the identity verification process, which will be required since eBay will be in charge of funds instead of PayPal - if the account is run by a corporation, for example, scans of Joe Blow's driver's license isn't going to verify anything, so it will change the documentation required, and will also ensure Joe Blow can't register as Microsoft or something. 

Message 12 of 16
Latest reply

This is a joke

....coming soon - so in other words it is not available yet.

I read yesterday on the eBay site

"While we are dependent on credit card companies and banks for payout processing times, we are still looking into ways for our sellers to have more options and even faster access to funds."

So they cannot clearly tell us when we get paid- I seen somewhere 2-10 days

At the moment 99 .9% of my sales I receive my payments straight away - the money is in my Paypal account and I can draw on it.

There has been no real information on how this will work - will ebay supply Transaction/Monthly reports that are available on Paypal which are useful at tax time and will these records be kept for 5 years - this is all available through paypal

Our eBay accounts don't go back that far.

Generally, you must keep your evidence for five years from the date you lodge your tax return.

eBay if you are still looking into it .........Don't implement it.

Let us know when you can give us all the fact so we are able to make an informed decision.

Message 13 of 16
Latest reply

@personalised-memories-and-gifts wrote:

"While we are dependent on credit card companies and banks for payout processing times, we are still looking into ways for our sellers to have more options and even faster access to funds."

So they cannot clearly tell us when we get paid- I seen somewhere 2-10 days

On Et*y it's (usually) the day after the payout is made, but only just (i.e. because they work on US time, they send funds at about 11pm, and I mostly get it by 2pm the next day. Occasionally it takes an extra day. With Shopify, it's same day. I think. Maybe next day, I'm not 100% sure if they send the funds on Sunday or Monday, but regardless I have it there Monday.

I expect that with eBay it will be similar, though I also expect there will be some problems - once or twice it took about 5 or so days for a payment to arrive from Et*y, but it's not like these issues haven't been experienced with PayPal before, either. 

When eBay say they are looking into more options, I expect that means they want there to be more ways to use the funds within eBay.

Honestly, I am not looking forward to the change any more than most people, I like accruing funds in PayPal and using that for my stock purchases, rather than moving money around between bank accounts etc,  and I expect there are going to be new issues, teething problems and technical difficulties that will frustrate and cause a whole host of new problems... I don't particularly like the idea of eBay managing my funds from sales at all, and if I had the choice, I'd stick with PayPal for sure. But, having worked with these kinds of payment systems with two different sites (and three shops) for a number of years, I can at least say the day-to-day-ness of it, is not anywhere near as bad as most people expect or imagine. You adjust fairly quickly and pretty much just get on with your main goal - selling stuff. 

Message 14 of 16
Latest reply

They don't rerspond to any question in regards to this new managed payments. The don't care about sellers only interested in making money. 

Message 15 of 16
Latest reply

Did you bother reading Digi's reply which was the one before yours?

Message 16 of 16
Latest reply