eBay to charge GST?

There is an article in today's Herald Sun about online sites such as eBay to start charging Australian customers GST, I think the suggestion has been made to the goverment to do it

This means if it goes through, our bills will rise by 10%

Message 1 of 29
Latest reply
28 REPLIES 28

eBay to charge GST?

lyndal1838
Honored Contributor

But ebay is not a selling entity....it is the individual sellers who would have to collect and remit the GST...and the larger sellers already do this.

Message 11 of 29
Latest reply

eBay to charge GST?

"eBay doesn't have that functionality, so the prices of all items listed here are essentially GST inclusive (so you could say that OS buyers technically pay it anyway)."

I see. So what you are saying is that all sellers are registered for GST and do their bas returns religiously, and send off the GST $ to the govenment. I am impressed. Here was I thinking that no-one on here paid GST.

Oh yes. That's what I'm saying. 😐 (This is not the first time you've drawn incorrect conclusions from something I've posted, so perhaps you'll excuse the sarcasm and 😐 ...perhaps not).

I said that the prices on eBay are GST inclusive, in that it's impossible to charge two separate amounts to make up a purchase price on eBay Australia.

Then I said that technically you could say that overseas buyers already pay GST on goods purchased in Australia.

I didn't say anything about what sellers then do with the GST component of their prices, nor go on to apply that activity to all sellers on eBay, so I'm confused as to why you did.

As such, the only conclusion for you to draw from what I said is that technically, all prices for items from Australian sellers are GST inclusive, ergo prices paid by overseas buyers technically include a GST component. What then becomes of said GST component will depend on a seller's individual circumstances, but in so far as GST "collected" from an overseas buyer, that would then mean a slightly higher profit margin for the seller if it doesn't have to be passed on. Ditto that for sellers that don't have to register for GST.

Ok?

Message 12 of 29
Latest reply

eBay to charge GST?

Oh yes. That's what I'm saying. 😐 (This is not the first time you've drawn incorrect conclusions from something I've posted, so perhaps you'll excuse the sarcasm and 😐 ...perhaps not).

I said that the prices on eBay are GST inclusive, in that it's impossible to charge two separate amounts to make up a purchase price on eBay Australia.

Then I said that technically you could say that overseas buyers already pay GST on goods purchased in Australia.

I didn't say anything about what sellers then do with the GST component of their prices, nor go on to apply that activity to all sellers on eBay, so I'm confused as to why you did.

As such, the only conclusion for you to draw from what I said is that technically, all prices for items from Australian sellers are GST inclusive, ergo prices paid by overseas buyers technically include a GST component. What then becomes of said GST component will depend on a seller's individual circumstances, but in so far as GST "collected" from an overseas buyer, that would then mean a slightly higher profit margin for the seller if it doesn't have to be passed on. Ditto that for sellers that don't have to register for GST.

Ok?

Can you not tell sarcasm when you read it?

So the larger sellers, the ones with turnovers of  $300,000 plus per year, are collecting and sending off their GST as they should? Do you mind if I say 'RUBBISH'.

Message 13 of 29
Latest reply

eBay to charge GST?

Can you not tell sarcasm when you read it?

So the larger sellers, the ones with turnovers of  $300,000 plus per year, are collecting and sending off their GST as they should? Do you mind if I say 'RUBBISH'.

Sarcasm, huh. sorry rabbit, you - like everyone else - do not have the power to imbue your posts with a demeanour that guarantees it's read in the spirit it's intended without clear and indisputable indicators, which you didn't use.

I don't buy your plea of sarcasm anyway - as far as I'm concerned, the "so what you're saying is..." precludes your post from that since it automatically and immediately inferred I had made certain statements - statements that were nowhere to be found in my post, yet were responded to with your 'sarcastic' post.

Do I mind if you say "RUBBISH"? Why, not at all, since once again I did not make any statements about what sellers are or are not doing with GST, your response of RUBBISH has nothing to do with anything I said. 😉

Message 14 of 29
Latest reply

eBay to charge GST?

I love it when you talk proper english ]:)

Message 15 of 29
Latest reply

eBay to charge GST?

🙂

so wot ur sayin iz, if i dont write proply n stuff, u won't find az much entertaynment wif goading me in2 putting up carefully considered responses that are ritten good.

Message 16 of 29
Latest reply

eBay to charge GST?

the contrarian means "i love it when you speak english well"

]:)

Message 17 of 29
Latest reply

eBay to charge GST?

🙂

Of course that's what I meant, and I'll have you know

that me ma tort me ta talk english rite proper like.

Message 18 of 29
Latest reply

eBay to charge GST?

lyndal1838
Honored Contributor

There is probably no more nor no less GST compliance among ebay sellers than among the wider community.

Message 19 of 29
Latest reply

eBay to charge GST?

There is probably no more nor no less GST compliance among ebay sellers than among the wider community.

GST compliance is probably higher amongst ebayers, we get reported to the ATO every year.

photo screen-1-1-1-1.jpg
Message 20 of 29
Latest reply