eBays new position on feedback removal

I had mentioned in a few different posts about the recent removal of the "When eBay may remove or adjust Feedback" page which now redirects to "Defect Removal Policy"  Even a lot of current links to outline feedback removal on eBay redirect there. The page im talking about looked like this.

Spoiler
What are the guidelines?

The following types of Feedback may be removed:

Removable 

Removable

These types of Feedback comments may be removed:

• Feedback containing personally identifying information about another member, such as a member's address, phone number, email address, or real name. We may also remove Feedback that can be used to obtain personally identifying information about another member, such as a shipment tracking number.

• Feedback not related to a sale, including a comment, reply, or follow-up related to a different sale.

• Feedback containing political, religious, social, or other commentary, rather than genuine comments about a sale.

• Feedback containing language that is profane, vulgar, obscene, or racist, as well as comments containing adult material or physical threats.

• Negative Feedback comments that directly contradict a positive rating. (When the comment is posted by the seller. This type of contradictory comment is not removable when left by the buyer.)

• Feedback containing links or promotional language which encourages buyers to purchase outside of eBay.

• Feedback that includes references to law enforcement investigations or eBay or PayPal investigations.

Not removable

Not removable

These types of Feedback comments aren’t removed:

• Feedback comments containing accusatory language such as "fraud," "liar," "cheater," "scam artist," or "con man." Although this type of comment is strongly discouraged, it isn't removed unless it also contains content that isn't allowed.

• Feedback comments containing URLs or links to eBay.com, PayPal.com, or Half.com.

Removable 

Removable

These types of Feedback comments may be removed:

• Feedback that only refers to a listing's structured details when there aren't contradictory words or photos in the description. Structured details include:

• Item condition

• Item specifics

• Sales tax

• Return policy

• Combined postage

• Accepted payments

Example: If an item was listed with Used selected as theItem Condition, and negative Feedback only stated the item was "used," the Feedback is removed.

• Negative or neutral Feedback stating a seller "did not respond," but we determine that the seller responded to the buyer's email in good faith, using member to member messages.

• Feedback or DSR related defects as a result of the following situations:

• A buyer requested the cancellation of the sale due to no fault of the seller, and the seller cooperated with the buyer's request.

• A buyer made a request that was clearly different from what was stated in the listing, and the seller didn't accommodate the request.  For example, a buyer left negative Feedback because they requested a different delivery method than what was offered in the listing, and the seller refused.

• Feedback or DSR related defects related solely to:

• Customs delays or customs fees.

• Item non-delivery, when shipment tracking shows the item was delivered. Signature confirmation is required for items over $750.

• Shipping time, when the item is Fast 'N Free and the item was delivered by the shipping carrier's estimated delivery date.

• An item's delivery time when a buyer provided an undeliverable address and the item was returned to the seller or held at the shipping facility.

• An item's delivery time, when a buyer paid for an item more than 3 days after a sale was completed. (If a buyer is allowed to combine shipping on multiple purchases more than 3 days after a sale, this type of Feedback won't be removed.)

• Feedback or DSR related defects left when the sellerwon an eBay Money Back Guarantee or PayPal Purchase Protection case.

Not removable

Not removable

These types of Feedback comments aren't removed:

• Feedback about a listing that omitted significant information about an item. For example:

• A listing for a guitar omitted the information that there was a large crack in the headstock.

• A listing for a toy in the original box omitted the information that the box was water-damaged.

• Feedback about contradictory information in a listing's title, description, or photos. For example:

• An item's condition is "used," but the photo is of a brand new item.

• An item‘s condition is "like new," but the description states the item is in mint condition.

We may remove Feedback left by a member when that member has violated certain rules or policies.
  • A buyer didn't pay for an item.

Removable 

Removable

Feedback or DSR related defects left as a result of the following situations may be removed:

• A buyer didn't pay for an item and an unpaid item case is recorded against the buyer.

• Member to member messages show that a buyer had no intention of paying for an item.

• A buyer or seller didn't meet the requirements to form a legally binding contract at the time the sale was completed or when Feedback was left.

• A buyer or seller provided an invalid email address and couldn't be contacted at the time of the sale.

Not removable

Not removable

These types of Feedback comments aren't removed:

• Feedback due solely to an invalid phone number. The buyer and seller can still communicate through member to member messaging, so the Feedback won't be removed. However, we require members to update and verify their phone numbers prior to buying or selling again on eBay.

• Feedback left for a buyer when member to member messages show that a buyer intended to pay for the item, and the seller didn't complete the unpaid item process.

• Feedback indicating a buyer canceled a transaction because the seller altered the item description or terms (for instance, delaying shipment or increasing shipping costs).

Removable

Removable

This type of Feedback may be removed:

• The Feedback is for the wrong seller or wrong item.

• Feedback or DSR related defects when the comment is clearly positive. Examples of clearly positive comments include "I really like the item, it's perfect," "My daughter is delighted," "Exactly what I was looking for," or "Thanks for the fast delivery and support!"

• A buyer requested shipment to an address other than the one specified during checkout or though PayPal.

• A buyer provided the wrong shipping address.

Not removable

Not removable

This type of Feedback isn't removed:

• Negative Feedback left by a buyer when the comment is neutral or isn't clearly positive. Short, ambiguous comments from a buyer such as "thanks," "OK," or "item arrived," aren't considered "clearly positive" and aren't removed. In such instances, neutral Feedback isn't removed, regardless of comments.

Removable 

Removable

Feedback or DSR related defects may be removed in the following situations:

• A major event beyond the seller's control, such as an earthquake or flood, is directly and solely responsible for a bad buyer experience. In these situations, we may also remove low detailed seller ratings that don't count as defects.

• An eBay system issue is directly and solely responsible for a bad buyer experience. In these situations, we may also remove low detailed seller ratings that don't count as defects.

• PayPal places a hold on a payment and notifies the seller to delay shipping of an item, and the Feedback or DSR related defect is a result of the delayed shipping.

• We are provided with a valid court order requesting Feedback removal.

• We receive a decision from NetNeutrals, via the Independent Feedback Review process, requesting Feedback removal.

• Feedback or DSR related defects is a result of seller not leaving Feedback for a buyer.

Not removable

Not removable

Feedback left as a result of the following situations won't be removed:

• A minor event beyond the seller's control occurs, such as an electric outage that prevents the printing of shipping labels.

• An eBay system issue which doesn't affect the buyer experience. For example, a seller is unable to list an item.

Read the full list at Google Cache while it is still available.

The main questions that plagued me were if these policies still stand, if so why are they being hidden. Conversely, if they are no longer applicable, why were they taken away.

I email eBay with a case for removal using one of the feedback policies mentioned above to test the water.

• Feedback or DSR related defects when the comment is clearly positive. Examples of clearly positive comments include "I really like the item, it's perfect," "My daughter is delighted," "Exactly what I was looking for," or "Thanks for the fast delivery and support!"

My example is a neutral feedback with the wording "Great ebayer A+++"

I also confront them with the questions. I get brushed off with a hardly relevant cut n paste reply. I rechallenge them with a reply and get the following message which was closer to the point.

Spoiler

Hi au.phone.crazy,

Thank you for getting back to us.

In most cases, Feedback can't be changed or removed unless it violates one of our Feedback Policies. We also had an update with our policies if the member mistakenly posted a wrong feedback. An email was sent last week in regards with our updated policy for feedback removal. You can also check it in our website by:

1. Click Community

2. Click eBay news on the left side of the page

I recommend that a feedback revision would be convenient to ask the buyer to change the Feedback they left. You have 30 days to send a feedback revision request from the time the feedback was left.

Once the buyer receives the request they have 10 days to respond, and they'll have three options:

-- Revise the Feedback (change the rating, comment, or detailed seller rating)

-- Decline the Feedback revision request (the Feedback is not changed)

-- Ignore the Feedback revision request (the Feedback is not changed)

I hope I've explained everything clearly. Please let us know if you need any more information.

Warm Regards,

<Insert Randomly Generated Name Here>

eBay Customer Support

When you click the link "Feedback Policies"

http://pages.ebay.com.au/help/policies/feedback-ov.html

you get less than a handful of removal types and all other avenues redirect to the "Defect removal policy" page. Also you probably notice nothing about "We also had an update with our policies if the member mistakenly posted a wrong feedback." The statement would have been clearer if they simply said it no longer exists.

When you check out the eBay news update mentioned by CS, it points out the new "Defect removal policy" page. This new page outlines that removable defects are automatically removed. Feedback is now classed under defects. eBay weren't adhering to their prior feedback policies anyway, but now they have severely limited an already choked avenue for sellers. For lack of better words to describe it, I'll say "**bleep** blocked" comes to mind.

I can no longer find anything about court ordered feedback removal. I would assume that has been hidden to cause confusion or arrogantly taken off the table.

This won't come as a surprise to most, nor is there any action or method to challenge the situation. But hopefully this saves someone getting more grey hair by sheding some light on the current situation and stand point of eBay regarding feedback removal. 

Message 1 of 9
Latest reply
8 REPLIES 8

Re: eBays new position on feedback removal

Many thanks - very interesting. Found the court order bit under : the last section IE: We determine it's necessary & appropriate to remove Feedback & detailed seller ratings.
Message 2 of 9
Latest reply

Hey Helen, are you referring to my first spoiler? if so those are the guidelines that have been removed completely from ebay. If not, could you please give me a link because Im struggling to find it anywhere.
Message 3 of 9
Latest reply

My bad, yes it was the initial spoiler.

Have eBay given any thought - with all this stupid rating business - or taken into consideration - the TERMS & CONDITIONS of each individual seller.

The so called small print no-one ever reads - on the back of every sales receipt & in all our listings.

eBay states each listing is the responsibility of the seller - yet they do not take into consideration the individual contract between both Buyer & Seller & do not consider the seller's T&C.

If I offer two methods of postage - Regular & Registered - and state all sales paid through PayPal - for Buyer & Seller Protection - must be sent Registered Post.

The buyer chooses Regular Post - the seller can assume the buyer has chosen Regular - probably due to cost - as their preferred method.

Are they not waving their right of complaint as far as eBay & PayPal are concerned.

Message 4 of 9
Latest reply

why bother even trying to do it, i have put 6 different feedback removal requets to feebay in the past 10 days and have not heard anything as yet , this is despite the customer 6 different FEEBAY support officer's for each requests on ph reassuring me they will get back to me in 24 - 48 hrs .............rest assured they said, THEY WILL GET BACK TO ME  , yet 10 days later no word from FEEBAY!!!!.............................FEEBAY IS JUST A JOKE!!!!!

Message 5 of 9
Latest reply

Totally understand.

One of my shiney 'defects' was left by a buyer with glowing positive feedback - but - in the detailed rubbish - item not as described.

Go figure - still there though pointed out to CS - they are still out to lunch.

Message 6 of 9
Latest reply

removable according to policy as of a few days ago, but I submitted a handful of such devious deceptions to eBay. 

Pointed out the following policy for which the cases were poster childs like yours

They couldn't deny me fast enough on all accounts. They argued comments like "Great purchase. Accurate description. Thanks heaps" doesn't give a clear picture by replying with **bleep** like " I understand that the feedback comment is positive, but that doesn't mean that your buyer is 100% satisfied about the over-all experience".

/facepalm

Message 7 of 9
Latest reply

You YELL  a lot! Even in your response to feedback.It lessens your credibility & kinda makes me think the buyer may have a tad of truth.I like that you add their user ID but you might want to word it better.Just saying...

Most of the feedback commens would not be elligible for removal anyway

Also,if you respond to feedback it is more unlikely that eBay will remove it

Just an opinion,so don't yell at me ok?

Message 8 of 9
Latest reply

@badbundybear wrote:

why bother even trying to do it, i have put 6 different feedback removal requets to feebay in the past 10 days and have not heard anything as yet , this is despite the customer 6 different FEEBAY support officer's for each requests on ph reassuring me they will get back to me in 24 - 48 hrs .............rest assured they said, THEY WILL GET BACK TO ME  , yet 10 days later no word from FEEBAY!!!!.............................FEEBAY IS JUST A JOKE!!!!!

Given the atrocious replies you left for those negs, I'm not surprised eBay is refusing to remove them. The only good part about your replies is you named the buyers.

Buyers read negative feedback, including myself as a buyer. I was looking for something a few days ago and came across a few sellers who had similar abusive replies as yours. I didn't buy from them, even though some of them had a cheaper deal. I didn't not buy because they had negative feedback, I didn't buy because of their replies to their negative feedback. I didn't want to have anything to do with sellers who abuse customers, regardless of their reasons for doing it. Yelling at them and calling them names makes you look like a bad seller.

Message 9 of 9
Latest reply