feeling sad. After 14years, probably will say goodbye

I'm feeling sad. I've been with eBay since 2003 and only mainly sold little stuff.. books, clothes, plants... garage sale sort of thing. Never made a lot of money but it was fun and cleared the clutter from my house.

Haven't sold much in the past couple of years due to work commitments and, have to admit, I missed the email about the FVF on Postage. So just recently, I put some items up and you can imagine my horror when I saw my fees. 

As an example, sold some shoes for $5.00 (50c FVF) then another $1.33 for FVF on shipping... leaving me with a grand total of $3.17. lol... if you want to add the cost of fuel for me to get to the Post Office, well... let's just say I don't want to do that particular sum.

I'm assuming that eBay doesn't want to be bothered with the small seller anymore which is a shame, considering that's how they got started. 

Has anybody tried Gumtree? I suppose I'll mosey on over there and have a look.

Mostly, I have had positive experiences here, a couple of totally horrendous ones, some very funny ones.

Time moves on, eh?

ciao bebes

Message 1 of 36
Latest reply
35 REPLIES 35

Re: feeling sad. After 14years, probably will say goodbye

Hahaha ......... Now this is where I wish I knew how to insert one of those moving laughing emoticons !!!!!!!

Message 31 of 36
Latest reply

@annieher wrote:

In the past any seller who was offering Free Postage was paying the fee on the postage anyway. 

how far in the past are you talking about? sorry.. don't quite understand what you said... if they were offering free postage, how were they paying the fee on postage anyway?

do you mean they would have added the cost of postage into the opening price in the first place? 

if that was the case, no opening auction would be under, say .. price of prepaid bag is about $8.40?... so no auction would be under $9? 

I am talking about up to the time the FVF on the postage was introduced.....about 18 months ago from memory.

Free postage has always meant that the postage component was already built into the listing price of the item so of course those sellers were paying the FVF on the postage.

I have no doubt that some sellers were unaware that was what was happening.  Judging by some of the remarks on the boards some people thought there was really an AP fairy who delivered things for free....they just could not grasp the fact that someone had to pay the postage.

Message 32 of 36
Latest reply

Some buyers who don't sell, do actually believe that eBay pay for the postage, so to them the FREE means free to the seller & buyer !!!!  And if you look at it, it could be a logical assumption to some.  That's why I've often cringed at how "free postage" actually looks to a buyer.

Message 33 of 36
Latest reply

I  joined Facebook  and subscribed to  the  buy swap n sell sites , generally  area specific or group interest  related.  But it worked for me doing very well  with sales  no fees  apart fro occasional pay pal charges but I can live with that 

Message 34 of 36
Latest reply

If PayPal try to slug you 21 day wait, get right on it coz it's illegal and they get a fine for every legal complaint made.
Message 35 of 36
Latest reply

@joyandhappinessatchannel44 wrote:
If PayPal try to slug you 21 day wait, get right on it coz it's illegal and they get a fine for every legal complaint made.

Actually it is not illegal.  The question is whether it was being applied correctly.

Paypal is allowed to hold payments for up to 21 days for new sellers and sellers who have not sold recently but they were lumping in long established sellers with multiple accounts.

Also, they tended not to release the funds when their criteria had been met....tracking showed the item delivered and buyer had left positive feedback.

Message 36 of 36
Latest reply