how do some people get shipping so so cheap?

wndymorris
Community Member

Ok so i have seen some great dresses from china for $9 with free shipping.

Now i understand production costs in china are cheap and if the item costs them 1 cent to make and there happy selling it for any small profit.

What I cant understand is how they can ship from china to here and to your door for under $10 with registered mail.

I cant even do that within australia ?

how can you compete.

Message 1 of 13
Latest reply
12 REPLIES 12

Australia Post are much more expensive than China Post. A small parcel can be sent from China or Hing Kong for as little as 10c

Message 2 of 13
Latest reply

Hmm ?:| Hing Kong

Message 3 of 13
Latest reply

wndymorris
Community Member

thankyou that explains it.

they still working on crazy small profit margins though :@

Message 4 of 13
Latest reply

Don't try to compete with overseas sellers for the reason mentioned - it's near impossible to beat that postage price. If you want to compete, look at what other Aussie sellers are doing and try to match or better it. Maybe try adding $1 to your item price so that it lowers the postage price by $1 and gives the illusion of cheaper postage than other Aussie sellers.

Message 5 of 13
Latest reply

What's the one thing China can do to assist its exporters? Give them free post to anywhere in the world. Everything sold online out of China today gets delivered free. I can remember padded bags arriving from Hong Kong covered in stamps, then one day, no stamps, just some Post Office sticker that had no price on it.

With the International Postal agreement where every receiving country covers the cost of mail delivery within its own borders, it is cheaper to post an item from HK to Alice Springs than it is for me to post across town. China's command economy is very quick to exploit any advantage, especially one as obvious as free post. 

I read somewhere that eBay was setting up collection points in the US where items could be delivered, then from there they would be delivered free around the world in an effort to compete with China. Does anyone know if that has happened or was it just speculation that was being considered?

A shame our government isn't as motivated to help Australian manufacturers. Exporters selling online are out of the game without free post. 

Message 6 of 13
Latest reply

You don't try and compete.

You sell the things that Chinese and HK sellers are not practically giving away.

You find your niche market where there is not too much competition and you do it better, if not cheaper, than your rival sellers.

At the same time you keep your eye on trends, the global financial situation and any impending changes in the way ebay is going to work so that you can react and adapt to any and all circumstances and changes as they happen.

See what a trendsetter I am?
Message 7 of 13
Latest reply

You don't try and compete.

You sell the things that Chinese and HK sellers are not practically giving away.

You find your niche market where there is not too much competition and you do it better, if not cheaper, than your rival sellers.

Agree.

Even if you are selling the same items,  you have great product descriptions and a different spin on the item, same item but different pictures.    Keep in mind not everyone wants to purchase from china,   to some there is a stigma of cheap quality.   For instance the same dress a chinese seller is selling could be viewed differently from an Australian seller (providing the two aren't side by side with price comparison)          Its silly because its the same dress made in China like everything these days but you'd be surprised the Australian seller can mark it up and sell it quicker then Chinese seller.        Also its sometimes safer to purchase from the Australian seller when it comes to returns and policy and shipping times.

Message 8 of 13
Latest reply

Wndymorris-are you aware that all of your perfume listings breach ebay policy re keyword spamming?

And do you have a dangerous goods licence in order to actually post them anyway?

Message 9 of 13
Latest reply

lyndal1838
Honored Contributor

IF you have a Dangerous Goods License you should know that you cannot post perfume by anything but regular post....no Express Post is allowed.

Message 10 of 13
Latest reply