how much would you pay online for a normal $100 note

in the sun on page 3 today , they were talking about unwanted gifts as many put the gifts on ebay and co on boxing day, but this bloke in nz  did not want his gift of a $100 note so put it up online as of yesterday it is already $105.55   mmmm

Message 1 of 60
Latest reply
59 REPLIES 59

lyndal1838
Honored Contributor

But is it a normal $100 note Joe?

What looks normal to some of us is much more valuable to a collector.

Message 2 of 60
Latest reply

I had a few early green notes which were theoretically worth quite a bit more than $100.

Message 3 of 60
Latest reply

As lyndal and dave have suggested, first and last issues are far more desirable for collectors.

Also certain serial numbers fetch higher prices.

Overseas collectors find it difficult to source current notes in UNC condition, take a look at my Aust notes listing that I often sell on the US site and I am the cheapest around for the full set.

image host
Message 4 of 60
Latest reply

I've seen $100 notes go for quite a few hundred $$. Some can go over $1,000. It depends on when they were printed, how many were printed and even the signatures on them. 2 or more notes with consecutive numbers will fetch a much higher price. Once a new issue comes out with different signatures to the last, the previous ones become more valuable to a collector, especially if they are in uncirculated condition.

Next time you go to the ATM and withdraw money, if you get 5 consecutive $20 notes that are new and crisp, put them away somewhere safe so they don't get creased. I can guarantee that in less than 10 years, they will be worth more than $100, especially if sold to an overseas collector.

I like to collect bank notes and I nearly cried when Mr Tippy got his currency to go to the US this year. His daughter worked at the bank, so got them for him. Each denomination was brand new and all consecutive numbers. It was so tempting to pinch them! He told me I could have what was left when he got home and when I checked, there were still plenty of nice crisp notes, but no consecutive numbers. Next time he goes, if he gets new notes again, I'm going to make sure I pinch some! His daughter no longer works for the bank, so it's anyone's guess what he'll get.

Message 5 of 60
Latest reply

tippy, If you know your bank, they will put some new consecutive aside for you in an envelope otherwise most banks will do it for a small fee. But it's only at certain times of the year each denomination is run off, smaller ones more often than 100, 50 and 20's.

image host
Message 6 of 60
Latest reply

Money, worth money
Who would of guessed
*we may be human, but we are still animals*
Message 7 of 60
Latest reply

If it was the first issue 1996 $100 test note in uncirculated condition I would pay around $800 for it.

1984,85,90 and 1992 paper $100 note uncirculated I would pay between $600-$1000 for an individual note but consecutive notes would fetch a lot more.

Bottom line is they are very valuable.

Message 8 of 60
Latest reply

to all of you its not a special note,  read the post or read page 3 of the herald sun today  a small add unwanted gifts go online on boxing day [unwanted gift  it says  one kiwi was apparently unhappy with the $100 gift so listed it on ?????????? site.

i was given $100 note for xmas dont want it  so i am selling it,,  already at $105.55

he does not want it as it prob was from someone like an ex or something,or someone he does not like  ,  and saying to himself i dont want her  money, for what ever reason.      

Message 9 of 60
Latest reply

He should go and swap it for 2 x $50 then lol.

But I'm curious because it has $105.55 already so someone knows something about that note.

Will need to have a look at it and see what the fuss is about.

Message 10 of 60
Latest reply