is selling on here worth it anymore??

Just looked at an invoice I was charged last time I sold my phone on eBay and it was a ridiculous $50! that mixed in with the $15-$20 PayPal slug you with, is it cheaper to just sell one-off items elsewhere?

Message 1 of 6
Latest reply
5 REPLIES 5

I'd say the occasional one offs you would be better off going thru Gumtree or your local Facebook BSS page.
Gumtree is owned by eBay anyway.
Also selling phones on here is a magnet for scammers.
Message 2 of 6
Latest reply

Phones and other similar devices sell much better on local Facebook sites. You're far less likely to get scammed and there are no PayPal or eBay disputes to worry about. I know when I've bought from there and wanted it posted, most people were happy to accept bank deposit.

Message 3 of 6
Latest reply

Is it worth selling here anymore ? It depends entirely on what you are selling. As others have already mentioned, ebay may not be the best place to sell a used phone, but if you have products that very few other sellers stock, ebay can still be a very lucrative place to do business. Sure it is not as vibrant as it was 5 years ago, but there are still plenty of buyers out there for the right products.

Message 4 of 6
Latest reply

Yes, better off selling on Facebook with items like that. FB galvanises the attention of millions on a regular basis. Your local area buy, swap or sell page on FB is the go. Any big stuff I want to sell, I put on my local FB sell page these days and am going to start putting smaller stuff up and just put up with the tire kickers. At least on FB there is no Paypal refund extortion for sellers. Gumtree, I reckon, is slowing down. Everybody is into FB....Trying to sell stuff on ebay is like watching carrots grow, but it used to be awesome till about 5 years ago..and boy...that's a huge slug of fees for the phone you sold...crooks..

Message 5 of 6
Latest reply

Ebay has geared itself more to stores. People running small and large businesses. It is ideal for this as all of the hassles of communication, payment, tax records etc. are taken care of. FB may suit the private seller better these days as it can be more localised and social for those who are happy to talk to potential customers and tire kickers all day.

Message 6 of 6
Latest reply