managed payments and personal information.

Is it true that to sign up for managed payments, eBay demands heaps of personal information, and also we have to once again prove who we are and upload bank account details etc,etc. All of this personal informtion is then sent to a third party which eBay is then not responsible for. I would like to hear from those who have already signed up, as to whether this is true or not.

Message 1 of 118
Latest reply
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

The process is not as bad as it sounds,  for private sellers all you need is your drivers licence number,  Bank Account Name, BSB and  ACC numbers.  Then you have to upload   a Bank Statement (less than 3 months old)  Note, I just downloaded and provided a proof of balance and that was sufficient.

I am pretty sure the name of the ebay account holder  and that of the bank account have to match

For business accounts you had to include  ABN, ACN  and details of anyone with more than 25% share

View solution in original post

Message 3 of 118
Latest reply
117 REPLIES 117

@shoppingbag* wrote:

Is it true that to sign up for managed payments, eBay demands heaps of personal information, and also we have to once again prove who we are and upload bank account details etc,etc. All of this personal informtion is then sent to a third party which eBay is then not responsible for. I would like to hear from those who have already signed up, as to whether this is true or not.

You need to provide up-to-date ID for verification, and yes, they need your bank account details as that's where they deposit your funds (eventually!)

NEVERMIND ON TROUBLES!!! LET'S DO HOBBY!!!
Message 2 of 118
Latest reply

The process is not as bad as it sounds,  for private sellers all you need is your drivers licence number,  Bank Account Name, BSB and  ACC numbers.  Then you have to upload   a Bank Statement (less than 3 months old)  Note, I just downloaded and provided a proof of balance and that was sufficient.

I am pretty sure the name of the ebay account holder  and that of the bank account have to match

For business accounts you had to include  ABN, ACN  and details of anyone with more than 25% share

Message 3 of 118
Latest reply

Drivers Licence number, no way are they getting that. That is very dangerous in the wrong hands, who knows if and when the site gets hacked. As for ID, I am still me why should I be proving I am still me? looks like I will stop selling on here. They can have my bank account details and that is all.

Message 4 of 118
Latest reply

I can see a lot of identity thefts arising from this, bank account details plus drivers livence number equals the scammers will have a field day. Good luck to all of you who are willing to share this combined information. I don't intend to.

Message 5 of 118
Latest reply

@shoppingbag* wrote:

I can see a lot of identity thefts arising from this, bank account details plus drivers livence number equals the scammers will have a field day. Good luck to all of you who are willing to share this combined information. I don't intend to.

Thats why I have an account purely for online use, which is kept with a minimum balance and that is the way I intend to keep it.

Message 6 of 118
Latest reply

My account details don't give access to my account, except for deposits.

For access they would need my customer number, which they aren't getting, and my phone to verify any strange account activity.

Message 7 of 118
Latest reply

@shoppingbag* wrote:

All sellers will eventually need to switch over to MP, so you might find you don't have a choice if you want to keep selling on here.

NEVERMIND ON TROUBLES!!! LET'S DO HOBBY!!!
Message 8 of 118
Latest reply

@shoppingbag* wrote:

Drivers Licence number, no way are they getting that. That is very dangerous in the wrong hands, who knows if and when the site gets hacked. As for ID, I am still me why should I be proving I am still me? looks like I will stop selling on here. They can have my bank account details and that is all.

Just to clarify - the indentity verification is not for eBay, it's for Adyen, the actual financial company handling the money. They also aren't asking for it for arbitrary reasons, it's a legal requirement (google know your customer / anti-money laundering laws).

Every company that handles money like this have to be able to identify the recipients of the money by law - if you have not had to send actual scans of your ID to PayPal yet (rather than just the number), it's only because you haven't reached their threshold where they will limit / close your account if you don't (it's typically around $10k AUD).

Message 9 of 118
Latest reply

@digital*ghost wrote:

@shoppingbag* wrote:

Just to clarify - the indentity verification is not for eBay, it's for Adyen, the actual financial company handling the money. They also aren't asking for it for arbitrary reasons, it's a legal requirement (google know your customer / anti-money laundering laws).

Every company that handles money like this have to be able to identify the recipients of the money by law - if you have not had to send actual scans of your ID to PayPal yet (rather than just the number), it's only because you haven't reached their threshold where they will limit / close your account if you don't (it's typically around $10k AUD

Although, of course, you don't need a passport or driver's licence to meet the 100-point verification requirements of the anti-money laundering system; the insistence on one of these two items and their refusal to remedy the defect in their application form was just another stuff-up in the imnplementation of the program,

Message 10 of 118
Latest reply