managed payments

I have emailed ACCC

Ebay is now demanding they receive all Payments for sales through them, they are calling it Managed Payments. I am wondering if this is actually legal to demand how we accept payments. Years ago they tried to make it payment by Paypal only and the ACCC ruled against it,

Message 1 of 40
Latest reply
39 REPLIES 39

managed payments

@sandlash wrote:

I have emailed ACCC

Ebay is now demanding they receive all Payments for sales through them, they are calling it Managed Payments. I am wondering if this is actually legal to demand how we accept payments. Years ago they tried to make it payment by Paypal only and the ACCC ruled against it,

Did you read my post on the other thread where I replied to that statement of yours ?

"Not quite the full story there, the ACCC ruled that sellers had to offer at least one payment method that gave buyer protection, which meant that they didn't have to offer Paypal if they had Merchant Banking facilities (EFTPOS)."

"Start me up I'll never stop......"
Message 2 of 40
Latest reply

managed payments

They did not even allow payment into your bank account only through Paypal. The difference with what they are doing with Managed Payments  is that  you have to post the items before you have even got the money. Paypal pays your money into bank account within a day how long is going to take FEE Bay to transfer the money about a week or more probably so they can make interest on it. So we are all out of pocket until they decide to transfer our money.

Message 3 of 40
Latest reply

managed payments

@sandlash wrote:

They did not even allow payment into your bank account only through Paypal.

A bank deposit does not have any buyer protection, that was why it was ruled that eBay had to provide at least one method of payment that did have buyer protection.

The difference with what they are doing with Managed Payments  is that  you have to post the items before you have even got the money.

Wrong, the seller will receive the full payment, once it is received they can then post off the item.

Paypal pays your money into bank account within a day how long is going to take FEE Bay to transfer the money about a week or more probably so they can make interest on it. So we are all out of pocket until they decide to transfer our money.

Read my above post, you don't send until you have received payment, how long that  will take nobody knows at this stage, it could be the same as a paypal transfer or it could be a little longer.

Message 4 of 40
Latest reply

managed payments

@sandlash wrote:

They did not even allow payment into your bank account only through Paypal. The difference with what they are doing with Managed Payments  is that  you have to post the items before you have even got the money. Paypal pays your money into bank account within a day how long is going to take FEE Bay to transfer the money about a week or more probably so they can make interest on it. So we are all out of pocket until they decide to transfer our money.

Yes that is my concern. This little puppy won't be posting anything until the money has cleared. If it takes 6 days (they're estimating 2-6 days), there are going to be a lot of unhappy buyers out there.

Paypal payments are available immediately (most are) so if we want to purchase with that money, boom it's instantly available. But taking our fees immediately, then withholding our money is simply not acceptable. I suspect I'll be reducing my activity here down to almost nothing. This just has red flags all over it

Message 5 of 40
Latest reply

managed payments

@padi*0409 wrote:

@sandlash wrote:

A bank deposit does not have any buyer protection, that was why it was ruled that eBay had to provide at least one method of payment that did have buyer protection.

The difference with what they are doing with Managed Payments  is that  you have to post the items before you have even got the money.

Wrong, the seller will receive the full payment, once it is received they can then post off the item.

Paypal pays your money into bank account within a day how long is going to take FEE Bay to transfer the money about a week or more probably so they can make interest on it. So we are all out of pocket until they decide to transfer our money.

Read my above post, you don't send until you have received payment, how long that  will take nobody knows at this stage, it could be the same as a paypal transfer or it could be a little longer.

A paypal transfer is not required to make a payment with money received into paypal, meaning that money is available instantly. So comparing how long it takes to transfer to our bank from paypal (not required before money can be used) with Ebay transferring to our bank (required before we can use) is like comparing apples and oranges

Message 6 of 40
Latest reply

managed payments

My concern also is that eBay want you to post as fast as possible ie. 1 day,  and offer refunds. Through Paypal if you have a charge back credit card dispute you are covered by Paypal if you have tracking number and proof of postage. They deal with the bank.  Although the bank may find in buyers favour you still do not lose the money paid. eBay hasn't mentioned with this managed payment system how they will handle credit card charge backs through the buyers bank. Will they just deduct the money and pay the buyer back although you have posted the item and also maybe it has been delivered.  Normal stores you pay before you get the item

Message 7 of 40
Latest reply

managed payments

@11dustyattic wrote:

@padi*0409 wrote:

@sandlash wrote:

A paypal transfer is not required to make a payment with money received into paypal, meaning that money is available instantly. So comparing how long it takes to transfer to our bank from paypal (not required before money can be used) with Ebay transferring to our bank (required before we can use) is like comparing apples and oranges

Sheesh dusty, I said NOTHING about transferring money OUT of a Paypal account, I was talking about a transfer between the buyer's Paypal account and the seller's Paypal account.............original.gif

.............or were you targetting the OP not me.................

Message 8 of 40
Latest reply

managed payments

I am still waiting on a reply from the ACCC I hope they show some back bone

Message 9 of 40
Latest reply

managed payments

Can I choose how often I receive payouts to my bank?

You are able to schedule payouts to your bank account to be either weekly (default) or daily. You can typically expect payouts to show up in your bank account within 2-6 business days of an order confirmation. We aim to pay you as fast as possible but are dependent on the credit card brands (Visa, Mastercard, American Express) and banks for payout processing and timely funds settlement.

https://sellercentre.ebay.com.au/managed-payments

Message 10 of 40
Latest reply