new Ebay listing policies for sellers

So Ebay wants sellers to remove all contact info and external links from our store and listings.  2 months ago they wanted active content removed which was a costly and time consuming task.  

Now we have to remove all contact info!  We spend more time and money complying to Ebay policies then the time we spend manging our business.  Ebay should block all sellers with contact info and see what happens to your share price! Without sellers Ebay are worth nothing.  I hope another company can compete with Ebay.  

Amazon is in Australia soon and we hope to start selling soon.

Message 1 of 14
Latest reply
13 REPLIES 13

eBay doesn't need sellers, they only need to be a front for big box stores.
Message 2 of 14
Latest reply

My understanding is that Amazon charges way more in fees and is a lot more strict. I probably won't be moving to them. Amazon are NOT competition for eBay. If they were, eBay would have died many deaths in many countries.

Message 3 of 14
Latest reply

screamingdemon_2007
Community Member

We have had a tonne of listings pulled because we had a contact number in them,  we are a company and had the understanding companys / business where allowed contact info in listings.

Like many sellers our contact number is for customer support and the links we put in our listings are vidoes for product demonstration.  Wtihout these Im guessing another drop in sales is expected.

Seems the bigger players like "Officeworks" are allowed?  **bleep** is up with that?  

The countless hours we have spent and continue to spend updating listings to keep up with ebays constant policy changes,  the ever decressing sales and swamping of foreign sellers on ebay.au is making it hard to see the point anymore.

Ebay was once easy to use,  it has really gone downhill.   For those of you wanting to jump to Amazon, dont expect that to be any better.

Time for a career change i think. 

Message 4 of 14
Latest reply

Totally agree!

Small busineses will be affected, we have had a 40% drop in sales over 18 months.  Ebay started from small sellers selling goods from there garage, today they are big enough to look after the big chain stores like The Good Guys,etc.  

As a back up i have started another business thats service orientated.

Message 5 of 14
Latest reply

Bottom-Line is that if you want to use eBay to get your products noticed, you must adhere to their draconian, unrealistic selling policies.
They will tell you how to interact with potential customers - and they will threaten you if you don't comply.
And you'd better not try to sell 'off' eBay either - as that wlll get you banned for whatever their specified period happens to be.
Problem is if I try to recover the crazy percentage that eBay and PayPal demand, my product becomes uncompetitive.
Does eBay  / PayPal care? Not even a little bit.
They're clearly getting too big and behaving like insensitve bullies - and not listening to legitimate seller concerns.
I met with their CEO a few years back - and brought up these concerns - particularly the high seller fess on large ticket items - up to $250.00 on my items - and he simply shrugged his shoulders and said that's just the way it is 'mate'... either love it or leave was the clear but 'veiled' suggestion...
These kinds of exorbitant fees represent nearly 25% of my profit - so I'm compelled to ask potential clients to deal with me direct - and to bypass eBay for payment.
And, removing Active Content was a very backward step - as it now railroads sellers into generically styled stores - making it much harder to differentiate your items from similar competitor products. To not even allow a contact number is frankly unrealistic.
Can you imagine placing a magazine advert - with no contact number?
If I advertise with Just Cars magazine - do they demand a cut of every hoist I sell? I'm already paying them for the ad space - just like I pay eBay for their web-space.
Ebay are providing a platform - nothing else - it's a nice platform for sure - but to DEMAND we sell on their platform is anti-competitive and could be construed as unlawful. To charge a fee on shipment too - is simpy outrageous - but of course PayPal needs to justify its existence...
I send my products all over Australia - and in over 10 years not had an instance of damaage or loss. PayPal's 'Buyer Protecton - is clearly a way to 'gouge' sellers for more fees - and isn't applicable for products that aren't shipped through Ausralia Post or the 'usual' channels...
A 1000kgs flatpack (a large car hoist) CANNOT get 'lost' - and I always cover any damage if it happens - but it's never happened - as I use agents who make sure my items are handled professionally.
Once again - does eBay care? Not even a little bit...
Anyway, I've just about had it with their Nazi-like attitude - and considering removing my products completely.
I'll rely on magazineas and my website only... if they continue to implement their unrealistic policies...
That way they get NO Listing Fees - so they lose too...
Enuff said?

Message 6 of 14
Latest reply

@lifter08 wrote:

Bottom-Line is that if you want to use eBay to get your products noticed, you must adhere to their draconian, unrealistic selling policies.

To not even allow a contact number is frankly unrealistic.

But you have both your phone number and website showing in your listings............how do you manage that?

"Start me up I'll never stop......"
Message 7 of 14
Latest reply

Oh, I've been warned about that - it needs to change - and I need to update all my listings - coz they're a complete mess after active content was turned off...
Problem is - it's just me running my business - and I haven't had the time to address it...
😞

Message 8 of 14
Latest reply

If you have been warned you need to act sooner rather than later or you will have your account suspended.

Message 9 of 14
Latest reply

@lifter08 wrote:

Can you imagine placing a magazine advert - with no contact number?
If I advertise with Just Cars magazine - do they demand a cut of every hoist I sell? I'm already paying them for the ad space - just like I pay eBay for their web-space.

Are you taking out a separate ad in Just Cars for each hoist you sell because that's basically what you're doing on ebay.  You're trying to compare two completely different things.

Message 10 of 14
Latest reply