new Ebay listing policies for sellers

So Ebay wants sellers to remove all contact info and external links from our store and listings.  2 months ago they wanted active content removed which was a costly and time consuming task.  

Now we have to remove all contact info!  We spend more time and money complying to Ebay policies then the time we spend manging our business.  Ebay should block all sellers with contact info and see what happens to your share price! Without sellers Ebay are worth nothing.  I hope another company can compete with Ebay.  

Amazon is in Australia soon and we hope to start selling soon.

Message 1 of 14
Latest reply
13 REPLIES 13

Re: new Ebay listing policies for sellers

lifter08 wrote:

Bottom-Line is that if you want to use eBay to get your products noticed, you must adhere to their draconian, unrealistic selling policies.
They will tell you how to interact with potential customers - and they will threaten you if you don't comply.
And you'd better not try to sell 'off' eBay either - as that wlll get you banned for whatever their specified period happens to be.
Problem is if I try to recover the crazy percentage that eBay and PayPal demand, my product becomes uncompetitive.
Does eBay  / PayPal care? Not even a little bit.
They're clearly getting too big and behaving like insensitve bullies - and not listening to legitimate seller concerns.
I met with their CEO a few years back - and brought up these concerns - particularly the high seller fess on large ticket items - up to $250.00 on my items - and he simply shrugged his shoulders and said that's just the way it is 'mate'... either love it or leave was the clear but 'veiled' suggestion...
These kinds of exorbitant fees represent nearly 25% of my profit - so I'm compelled to ask potential clients to deal with me direct - and to bypass eBay for payment.
And, removing Active Content was a very backward step - as it now railroads sellers into generically styled stores - making it much harder to differentiate your items from similar competitor products. To not even allow a contact number is frankly unrealistic.
Can you imagine placing a magazine advert - with no contact number?
If I advertise with Just Cars magazine - do they demand a cut of every hoist I sell? I'm already paying them for the ad space - just like I pay eBay for their web-space.
Ebay are providing a platform - nothing else - it's a nice platform for sure - but to DEMAND we sell on their platform is anti-competitive and could be construed as unlawful. To charge a fee on shipment too - is simpy outrageous - but of course PayPal needs to justify its existence...
I send my products all over Australia - and in over 10 years not had an instance of damaage or loss. PayPal's 'Buyer Protecton - is clearly a way to 'gouge' sellers for more fees - and isn't applicable for products that aren't shipped through Ausralia Post or the 'usual' channels...
A 1000kgs flatpack (a large car hoist) CANNOT get 'lost' - and I always cover any damage if it happens - but it's never happened - as I use agents who make sure my items are handled professionally.
Once again - does eBay care? Not even a little bit...
Anyway, I've just about had it with their Nazi-like attitude - and considering removing my products completely.
I'll rely on magazineas and my website only... if they continue to implement their unrealistic policies...
That way they get NO Listing Fees - so they lose too...
Enuff said?

you must adhere to their draconian, unrealistic selling policies.

Itโ€™s called the eBay User Agreement

And you'd better not try to sell 'off' eBay either - as that wlll get you banned for whatever their specified period happens to be.
Problem is if I try to recover the crazy percentage that eBay and PayPal demand, my product becomes uncompetitive.

So you want to source buyers by listing on eBay but feel that you should be able to sell off-eBay due to their fee structure? . . . . . and do so without penalty from eBay? . . . . . . use their site, pay them nothing, get no penalty, and continue to use their site?  Are you for real?

These kinds of exorbitant fees represent nearly 25% of my profit - so I'm compelled to ask potential clients to deal with me direct - and to bypass eBay for payment.

Thereโ€™s the answer to my previous question.

To not even allow a contact number is frankly unrealistic.

Well, apparently, in your case it is not unrealistic as letting you have contact number in your listings will, by your own admissions, see you avoid paying eBay any final value fees for using their site by selling off-eBay.

If I advertise with Just Cars magazine - do they demand a cut of every hoist I sell? I'm already paying them for the ad space - just like I pay eBay for their web-space.

You pay for the advertising space in the magazine whether your items sell or not.  eBay is not a magazine, and they let you know up front that you pay a final value fee for every item sold.  Listing fees are paid by some users, but these too are known before listing.

Ebay are providing a platform - nothing else - it's a nice platform for sure - but to DEMAND we sell on their platform is anti-competitive and could be construed as unlawful.

How can it be anti-competitive or unlawful to ask that users of their site pay for the privilege?

If everybody that listed on eBay sold off-eBay to avoid paying eBay fees then there would be no eBay.  In my opinion, every seller that lists on eBay should pay fees for transactions.  I also think that fvf on postage is not good, but I recognise that sellers of items that have โ€œpostage includedโ€ (I refuse to use the term free โ€œpostageโ€) are paying fees on postage.

if they continue to implement their unrealistic policies...
That way they get NO Listing Fees - so they lose too...

But if you had your way and were allowed to sell off-eBay without penalty they wouldnโ€™t be getting final value fees from you anyway (up to $250 dollars an item), and that is where they make the bulk of their money, not on listing fees.

Enuff said?

Sure.

Message 11 of 14
Latest reply

@lifter08 wrote:

Ebay are providing a platform - nothing else - it's a nice platform for sure

***  this has been posted on another thread/question. Thought it might go well here to address the โ€œeBay are providing a platform - nothing elseโ€ part of the post I replied to earlier.  Please donโ€™t take what appears below too seriously, it is meant to be tongue-in-cheek  ***

Ebay are providing a platform - nothing else

I agree . . . I'd rather pay lower eBay fees and have eBay work less hard to promote my listings.

I mean, what exactly do I get for my Final Value Fees apart from exposure to thousands if not millions of potential buyers? When a similar item sells, the sold listing will display "Similar items" across the top of the page which can include mine . . . . even though I did not give eBay permission to promote my item that way.

Some time back, eBay started letting me put 12 photos on my listing at no cost! What the hell! How dare they. Now I have increased workload when listing because I now take 12 photos instead of the one or two they used to charge me for. Getting things for free has increased the amount of work I have to do to sell my item. Sure, having more photos helps me to sell my item, and for more $, but that only means that eBay will get more fees from me. I knew they had an ulterior motive.

And what's with all those watchers? Why do eBay let them put my item on their watch list without paying for the privilege? I would rather pay lower fees and have watchers pay 30 cents to put my item on their watch list! I mean, if I advertised in a newspaper or magazine they would have to buy a copy to see my ad . . . wouldn't they? It just makes sense to me.

And another thing about watchers . . . . . I mean, eBay even have the hide to email them to tell them when my items are nearing an end and encourages them to hurry up and bid/buy or they may miss out! What's with that, I didn't ask them to do that so why should I pay for that through having to pay 9.9% final value fee?

Some eBayers even have the hide to have "saved searches", which would show my item if it was in their saved search. AND further more, eBay might even email these members to update them on new items that would appear in their saved search. I know this because I am constantly getting emails from eBay to let me know that there are new listings that match my saved searches. That annoys the hell out of me . . . . eBay taking away the joy of me accidentally finding or stumbling upon an item when I happen to be online . . . . makes me so unhappy.

And don't get me started on PayPal! Really, so what if I get more bidders/buyers and higher prices because I accept PayPal. I'd rather sell my items for half the price and accept Bank Deposit only to protect me against a possible PayPal claim. If a buyer can't afford to lose the money they pay me they shouldn't be bidding/buying in the first place.

But the reality is that eBay has shareholders, employees, they advertise on TV and other websites, and even pay Lithium to run these forums.  There is more to what eBay do than simply โ€œprovide the platformโ€ on which to list an item . . . . AND . . . . . despite all their faults, they are up front about what it costs to list and sell on their โ€œplatformโ€.

Message 12 of 14
Latest reply

Just found out it works the other way   A buyer emails me about an item ( did not want to buy it just  needed some information) & puts in his phone no ( not asked for)   & I get a warning from ebay if it happens again I will get suspended  for 7days. How can I know if someone is going to do that.  Have now put in my description do not put in phone or email address if contacting me   Crazy ebay!!!!

Message 13 of 14
Latest reply

It has always worked that way.....if a member contacts another member and puts in an email address or phone number and it is picked up by ebay both members get a warning.

If it happens again both members can be suspended.

A really great system....not!!!!!!

Message 14 of 14
Latest reply