positive feedback / low star

saarzi
Community Member

I now have three glowing positive feedbacks, with low star ratings for "item as described".

One even says "perfect condition, a credit to Ebay!!!".. then gives me low stars and a defect.

So now, three defects this month that dont seem to belong, and I cant ask for them to revise, because they are positive.  

The low stars do not reflect the buyers experience, as per the buyers own comments.

Two of them look like they just didnt realise 3 stars was a defect (and dont mean "average" or somehting similar).

Any luck in having these removed?

Message 1 of 30
Latest reply
29 REPLIES 29

Re: positive feedback / low star

That harks back to when the star ratings were first introduced.   Ebay went to great lengths to assure buyers that they were anonymous and to be honest I have never seen anything to the contrary.   While I may have missed a notification of the change I am pretty sure that the only way it made an impact on me way when sellers on the boards mentioned that they could now see who left what star ratings.

Message 11 of 30
Latest reply

Not sure if this is relevant or not, but a customer and I found this out the other day by pure accident. I received a 'late postage' defect in my dashboard the other day, downloaded it from sheer curiosity if nothing else as it was a 1 yellow star only - it was from a very good customer which surprised me so I contacted her.  Apparently she left full 5 stars for everything except postage (I don't charge postage) When she got to the part about 'did you receive the item by ***' she said no because it was 2 days late getting to her - suddenly I get a 1 yellow star for postage (a defect) She contacted eBay as this made her a touch p****d off as she really did try and do the right thing, and she was told that this is the way it happens - doesn't matter how many yellow stars a customer gives you, 1 or 5, if you say your item didn't arrive on time it automatically lowers your star rating. 

Perhaps they have a way of changing other star categories as well, who knows 🙂

Message 12 of 30
Latest reply

That question should not be there IMO, sellers have absolutely no control over how quickly or slowly the postal services get the item to the buyer. (yes, I know if the tracking's uploaded it's a moot point).

BUT, the question should be "did the seller post within their handling time?"

Try to get eBay to see the validity of that though.................................

"Start me up I'll never stop......"
Message 13 of 30
Latest reply

@padi*0409 wrote:

That question should not be there IMO, sellers have absolutely no control over how quickly or slowly the postal services get the item to the buyer. (yes, I know if the tracking's uploaded it's a moot point).

BUT, the question should be "did the seller post within their handling time?"

Try to get eBay to see the validity of that though.................................

Yep.

The "postage cost" one is also rubbish; if the postage cost is specified in the listing and you buy the item, then you're agreeing to that cost as far as I'm concerned. I know it's there to encourage "free" postage but eBay have to realise that many sellers (and buyers) are not a fan of that - some of us prefer transparency.

I really dislike DSRs because they encourage buyers to be passive aggressive. Just do away with feedback comments and make the stars attributable to the buyer, instead of anonymous (I know you can find who left what if you want to play around with reports, but ain't nobody got time for that).

Message 14 of 30
Latest reply

Where do you actually go to see your own star rating and see what you got from a buyer? I didn't realise you could see this

Message 15 of 30
Latest reply

Go to your seller dashboard and there is a link on the left called detail seller rating reports. It's a real fiddle to set it up but once it's done it takes less than a minute to see what a buyer left.

Open the report page in a new tab then select item number from the drop down. Open your feedback page and find 10 item numbers that you think may have given you 5 stars for everything. Insert each of those numbers into the box in the other tab, separated by a comma and no space. Give it a title, e.g 1. Then click the button to run the report.

Leave it a minute or so and refresh the page by using the refresh button, not F5. If it still says in progress, wait another few secs and refresh again. Keep refreshing until it highlights and says it's complete. 

Click on it and it will open a pop up. If each option says 5.0 than you have 10 good item numbers that you know left 5 stars for everything. Keep that report. If they don't all say 5.0 then at least one of those numbers left less than 5. Find another 10 numbers and repeat the process. If you know for sure some of the first 10 left 5 stars you can reuse them.

If you run the report and it says no results, it means at least one didn't leave a star rating. As you don't know which one, repeat the above process. 

Once you have 10 good numbers it gets easy from now on. When you want to see what rating a buyer left, go to the report page and click on the drop down on the right. Then select run similar. Remove only the last number and add the item number you want to check. Give it a title I use the buyers ID, then run the report.

Refresh until it's complete,  then open it. If they all say 5 then you know that buyer gave you 5 for everything. If some says say 4.9, click to expand the report and it will show you how many stars they left. If the report states no results,  open it anyway because sometimes a buyer won't leave stars for one thing but have the rest.

Each feedback,  follow the above 2 paragraphs. Those 10 numbers should stay good for around 18 months. Once each report comes up as no result, one or all are too old so find a new 10. If you've kept recent reports you can use numbers you know gave you 5 stars.

As I said, it's fiddly to set up but once done, quick and easy.

Message 16 of 30
Latest reply

Thanks for that info......as you said fiddly, but interesting

Message 17 of 30
Latest reply

Hi Tippy,

I'm trying to do this but can't find the drop down menu with the item No as you said,

Open the report page in a new tab then select item number from the drop down

Are you able to help, please? i would really appreciate it. sorry for being so dense!

Message 18 of 30
Latest reply

Not to sure what you're worried about as you have the max rating for everything except postage.

I can probably say the reason for only 4.9/5 for postage is that the postage cost is priced at an odd amount,meaning that postage

wouldn't cost say $20.22 

Message 19 of 30
Latest reply

And that's why I should know never to post on here. I was asking a tippy a question, no-one else. I think it's a good idea to learn about the nuances of ebay.

Message 20 of 30
Latest reply