postage fees

Hi my fellow ebayers... Just curious as to what you would have done if what happened to me today , happened to you. So we are an online fishing shop ( relatively new ) and we post Australia wide with standard delivery.

A buyer purchased a fishing rod who lives in " Western Australia" .. yes it is considered part of Australia however he lives on the Coco Islands and he expressed to me that the only form of delivery is by "yellow express post" as his area is zoned.

So I nicely packaged his fishing rod, rushed to the post office and was told the postage address is considered overseas postage and the fact that he required it to be yellow express postage cost me a whopping $28.30. I could have sent it parcel post at a lower cost, but I was afraid he would not receive it, going by his area is zoned and only accepts that particular postage.

Would you as a seller send it parcel post at the price you expected to pay for delivery, or followed the buyers request and paid that enormous amount making very little profit if any?

I sent it  today as the buyer requested.. but slightly gutted with the cost of the postage

Thanks in advance guys!

Message 1 of 9
Latest reply
8 REPLIES 8

postage fees

I wouldn't have sent it until I told the buyer about the extra cost.

Message 2 of 9
Latest reply

postage fees

travelling_agoraphobic
Community Member

I would have brought the parcel home again and sent the buyer a Paypal 'Request Payment' email for the difference between Parcel Post and Express Post. With a note that the parcel would be sent by regular parcel post unless he paid the extra to have it sent the way he requested.

I think it is unfair that you should be expected to wear such a huge loss.

Message 3 of 9
Latest reply

postage fees

It seems like he's either lied about only express post being available to him or he was mistaken. You need to find out about the cost for postage before you send an invoice.

On the other hand when you state the cost in a listing you aren't entitled to charge extra after the auction. I know this isn't the case with you.

TCT
Message 4 of 9
Latest reply

postage fees

aurellian
Community Member

Yep. If the buyer wants Express, find out how much it is and ask them to pay the extra.

But here's a question: Cocos Keeling Islands are in the Express Post network. This means next day delivery doesn't it? So if I send something Express from NSW today, it will arrive in Cocos Keeling tomorrow? Gee...

Message 5 of 9
Latest reply

postage fees

for the most part I buy on ebay. If this was me selling I would have sent them an email I would have said hi I am sorry but we only ship standard shipping to keep our prices low.If u require yellow express post it will cost **** as  this is the difference in price. please let me know what u would like to do . I would also send an invoice for the difference and let them know I sent it in case they choose this option to speed up the delivery process.

As a buyer if I received this email I would have no problem.

When life gives you lemons.
Squeeze them into people's eyes
Message 6 of 9
Latest reply

postage fees

your post office was telling you a lie

if you look at the postage guide 8 april 2013

you see this comment about parcel zones distance charges

use the postcode table to find the correct zone code

** For Express Post parcels to and from Christmas Island 6798, Cocos Keeling Island 6799 and Antarctic 7151 divide the published rate by 1.1 and round to the nearest 5cents for the basic charge and the nearest cent for the distance charge.

not INTERNATIONAL at all

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
~~ ~~ ~~ Those who do right, have nothing to fear.
Message 7 of 9
Latest reply

postage fees

Yep. If the buyer wants Express, find out how much it is and ask them to pay the extra.

But here's a question: Cocos Keeling Islands are in the Express Post network. This means next day delivery doesn't it? So if I send something Express from NSW today, it will arrive in Cocos Keeling tomorrow? Gee...

I doubt that the item will arrive tomorrow. Express delivery can take longer than that between states.

TCT
Message 8 of 9
Latest reply

postage fees

Thanks guys for your feedback. You helped me out heaps! Will know what to do now if this occurs again in the future.

Happy selling to you all!

Message 9 of 9
Latest reply