potential buyer wants my mobile number

reic.l1
Community Member

I'm pretty new to selling on ebay and I have had two requests from potential bidders wanting my mobile number. Both requests were made 2-5 days before the auction ends. I'm wondering if I should do this? I've been really quick to respond to questions on the eBay message system, so I'm wondering why they would want my mobile? Also, I'm uncomfortable giving my number to people I don't know, who may not be buyers. Any advice would be much appreciated, thanks.

Message 1 of 11
Latest reply
10 REPLIES 10

Re: potential buyer wants my mobile number

Others who respond here may have more information, but I would say do not provide your phone number to bidders.  And you are right to question this.  Any questions or information they ask related to each item you list should actually go through the eBay messages.  It is clear from your listings where you are located and you have indicated pick up where applicable.  I would message back to any bidders or potential bidders to just message you with any questions.

Sometimes members may wish to attempt to deal with you on an item outside of ebay, which is against the rules.

Once a pick up auction or sale has ended, phone numbers & address details can be exchanged.

Message 2 of 11
Latest reply

I fully agree with Cathy. Always best to have a written record of communication (via ebay messages). Once you start mixing it with phone calls the game of he said, she said comes into play and you can be accused of saying anything (especially if the buyer has an alternate motive, like getting a freebe).

Message 3 of 11
Latest reply

My bet is they want to offer you less on one or more of your items.

The conversation will go like this:

I'm interested in item X (which you may have listed for eg $30). I'll offer you $15 if I can come around right now to collect it.

-------------------

Don't do it.

The potential buyer is looking at it like this-you would have a quick sale and 'save' on ebay fees.

But would you really? If your item did sell on ebay, you would be getting the full $30 and maybe more, and even with fees that comes out a lot better than just $15.

The person getting all the benefit here would be the buyer.

Nope, your ads are on ebay now. I would message back & say at this stage you prefer to let the auction run its course as you believe your items are worth at least the listing amount & if they have any questions about any items, feel free to message you.

Message 4 of 11
Latest reply

Don't ever give out your personal details. There is no need for it.
Message 5 of 11
Latest reply

Everyone's saying don't do it, but I speak with potential buyers all the time.  Usually ends up in a happy sale experience and they know I'm a real person and share their passion for what they are buying from me.

Message 6 of 11
Latest reply

reic.l1
Community Member

Thank you everyone, your responses have been a great help! You are a great community  Smiley Happy

Message 7 of 11
Latest reply

I would only add that while I totally agree generally with not giving out personal details.... my exception would possibly be with motor vehicles and similar.  Sometimes a full blown conversation is needed that is just too hard with messages and when thousands of dollars is involved.... in these sorts of categories I would look at it like a Gumtree or Trading Post sale where phoning is the norm.

OP I haven't looked at what you're selling, just making a general comment.

Message 8 of 11
Latest reply

Once they make a bid they can get your number from ebay through advanced search anyway so if it is a pick up item you may as well give them your number.

See what a trendsetter I am?
Message 9 of 11
Latest reply

I would only add that while I totally agree generally with not giving out personal details.... my exception would possibly be with motor vehicles and similar.  Sometimes a full blown conversation is needed that is just too hard with messages and when thousands of dollars is involved.... in these sorts of categories I would look at it like a Gumtree or Trading Post sale where phoning is the norm.

OP I haven't looked at what you're selling, just making a general comment.

----------------------------

I would totally agree with that.

A car or other big item that was pick up, I would never buy without seeing it first & having a look at it.

But in that situation I would just message a seller and say-I am interested in your car. Am I able to come round and have a look at it?

Please message me or let me know your phone number so we can arrange a time, or you can ring me on xxxx if that is more convenient.

That way the seller knows what it is about.

Message 10 of 11
Latest reply