proof of posting video

I just got a buyer claiming that their item never arrived and are seeking a refund.

Due to the small value of the item and Auspost's insane postage costs that don't even include tracking, I sent the item via regular international airmail in a small bubble enevelop.

I have video proof of posting the enevelop where their name and address are clealy seen before the envelop enters the slot of an outside red mail box. Is this enough proof to refuse to refund buyer?

Message 1 of 13
Latest reply
12 REPLIES 12

Re: proof of posting video

@kategreenleaf wrote:

I have video proof of posting the enevelop where their name and address are clealy seen before the envelop enters the slot of an outside red mail box. Is this enough proof to refuse to refund buyer?

No it won't be proof enough for either eBay or Paypal if the buyer opens an INR dispute, if they do open one you might as well refund straight away, or risk a defect if/when they do open a dispute.

Have you emailed the seller to ask them to wait a little more time since mail can and does get delayed over the Xmas period? When was the item sent and where to?

"Start me up I'll never stop......"
Message 2 of 13
Latest reply

eBay require proof of delivery.

PayPal only require proof postage but that tends to be a receipt with postcode posted to.

So depending on which case the buyer opens, depends on your action.

PayPal is worth the effort to show proof but eBay, better to just refund.

If it's only a small amount I would refund, provided buyer has left enough time for it to arrive given the christmas delays.

image host
Message 3 of 13
Latest reply

Hi, they already opened a request for refund with ebay.

The item was sent on the 25th of October to Romania. The buyer opened an account on the day of purchase and currently is still sitting on zero feedback two months later. Aftering purchasing the item they messaged me about concerns that the item will not arrive and I offered to cancel the transaction because I couldn't offer postage with tracking but they wished to continue with the purchase.

I did receive a message from them a few days ago saying they haven't received that item and that it was their country's post service fault, so I was quite shocked they opened a dispute.

Message 4 of 13
Latest reply

As Kopes has said, if they've opened a dispute under eBay's MBG then you will lose the dispute, best to refund before eBay steps in.

I'm curious how they managed to open a case with eBay if the item was sent back in October, since the buyer would only have 30 days after the ETA to open a case.

"Start me up I'll never stop......"
Message 5 of 13
Latest reply

6 weeks to deliver estimate then 30 days to claim after the estimate = claim?

Message 6 of 13
Latest reply

I have had postal experience with Latvia, Romania and remote Russia.

It's not unusual for items to take 8-10 weeks.

And looks like buyer knows that but probably doesn't want to miss the deadline for opening a case.

If both of you wait as long as you can in the case, there is a chance the item will turn up.

image host
Message 7 of 13
Latest reply

Can you post international in a red letter box? I thought they had to go over the counter?

Message 8 of 13
Latest reply

Yes, we've posted a couple of items (letter size) overseas. We went into the post office, bought the stamp, then they handed the letter to us to post in the letter box out the front.

Message 9 of 13
Latest reply

Would a small bubble envelope, containing anything other than paper be considered a letter.  How did you pay for postage, online or over the counter, was a declaration included.   Would the item pass through customs without a customs declaration attached.

While Australia Post,uses photos as proof of delivery, I dont think they would accept the same as proof of lodgement.  In any event

I can not see ebay or paypal accepting it as proof of post.

Message 10 of 13
Latest reply