return from overseas ... your advice please

Hi all,

a buyer  purchased a fragile item which I am certain I packaged immaculately for its trip to the USA.  they have sent me a photo of damage to one side of the glaze of the ceramic item.

what can I do?  Its just bad luck, and possibly the nature of the state of the glaze, I mentioned a few irrugularaties of the item but they have sent me a photo and it didn't look like that when it left here.

I don't want to end up out of pocket for the return postage back to australia as it wasn't cheap and I don't want to give the item to them either!

btw I don't use the ebay postage labels which I know are part of the return process. but there are ways around the return labels of course

any suggestions, they paid with paypal. I did suggest they take it with all the packaging to their local post office and lodge a complaint, however I'm not sure how that works in the USA.

thanks 

Message 1 of 18
Latest reply
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

If they open a dispute via eBay the seller will be responsible for return postage, even if you don't use eBay postage. eBay will charge the cost to your account I would imagine once the buyer provides a receipt and proof of post back to the seller.

if they open a dispute via PayPal the buyer will be responsible for return post

there's not really a lot you can do, either refund in full without the need for return,

await the return (and hope the lodge a PayPal dispute rather than via eBay, try and get them to open a PayPal dispute but don't mention an eBay dispute)

offer a partial refund

if they were in Aust they would have been able to get the return postage refunded by PayPal but because they are O/S I don't think they can.

you could ask them to supply photos of the packaging if they still have it. You may be able to get compensation if AP deem the packaging was sufficient.

View solution in original post

Message 3 of 18
Latest reply
17 REPLIES 17

Hi - I have had the reverse situation and purchased something in the UK which when received was not as described and had a flaw. I was responisble for the return postage not the seller. The seller did say they would pay the return but they never did. When I spoke to Ebay Aus - they said I needed to contact the UK Ebay and once I did this I was told the seller was not responsible for the return postage. 

It might be worth folloowing up as you may not be responsible for the return postage with the US Ebay Return Policy. Perhaps log onto the US site and have a look at their policies. 

The other alternative is you could offer a small refund if they wish to keep the item as is. 

Hope this assists. 

Cheers

Message 2 of 18
Latest reply

If they open a dispute via eBay the seller will be responsible for return postage, even if you don't use eBay postage. eBay will charge the cost to your account I would imagine once the buyer provides a receipt and proof of post back to the seller.

if they open a dispute via PayPal the buyer will be responsible for return post

there's not really a lot you can do, either refund in full without the need for return,

await the return (and hope the lodge a PayPal dispute rather than via eBay, try and get them to open a PayPal dispute but don't mention an eBay dispute)

offer a partial refund

if they were in Aust they would have been able to get the return postage refunded by PayPal but because they are O/S I don't think they can.

you could ask them to supply photos of the packaging if they still have it. You may be able to get compensation if AP deem the packaging was sufficient.

Message 3 of 18
Latest reply

froggy, they're in the US but they bought it via here, like I listed it on ebay australia... so wouldn't that mean they're covered by the AU rules? - no point logging onto US site?  good idea re photographing the packaging, although I'm sure they've thrown that out by now.  good advice re paypal dispute thank you.

Message 4 of 18
Latest reply

I can't offer advice re this situation. However I can offer some advice regarding the flashed red Bohemia-style vase you currently have listed. When copy/pasting my title/description from my item number 361301309531, I suggest you try to avoid copying my spelling mistakes (haevy).

Message 5 of 18
Latest reply

Sorry it was your completed item no 282163874134.

Message 6 of 18
Latest reply

Its not currently listed rocket2retro and I don't plan relisting my item.  pehaps you should fix your spelling mistake LOL!  back to the original subject...

Message 7 of 18
Latest reply

An apology to rocket may be in order rather than a smart comment about their spelling.

Message 8 of 18
Latest reply

No - My reverse situation was I purchased on Ebay Australia from the UK and return postage is not covered by the seller in the UK. That was what I was told when speaking with UK Ebay Rep. Aust Ebay Rep could not help on the matter I could only deal with the UK people. 

Message 9 of 18
Latest reply

I had already removed the listing, previously realised my bad lyndal.   its not like I stole their photos, a couple of lines if that, and it wasn't word for word  - altho did include the spelling mistake so backfired.  Its not actually related to the topic of this thread.

Message 10 of 18
Latest reply