seller with items advertised elsewhere

What is it with these people who put things on Ebay as an auction item with the disclaimer that it can be retracted at any time as it is 'advertised elsewhere'? From what I have seen the items are ususally listed on the 'other' site/s with an asking price, which has nothing to do with an auction type sale. 

I have been unfortunate enough for poor vendors to retract the already bid on item on ebay. Personally I think it is poor form. You either want to sell it at a set price or to auction it. I've never been to a clearing sale or acution where 1/2 way through the bidding the auctioneer simply says 'sorry folks, it's no longer for sale as the vendor just made a deal with someone else and sold this item off a newspaper ad.

Anyone else have an issue with this?

Message 1 of 12
Latest reply
11 REPLIES 11

rkwm888
Community Member

isnt that against the rules to say its advertised else where, not really fair

different if they have 2 of the same item

Message 2 of 12
Latest reply

Please conside the human being on the other side of your transaction. People sell things on eBay to make money. Most aren't large businesses, just small sellers trying to scrape a living. They need to sell and sometimes, auctions rotate on eBay for months without a bid, just costing more and more to keep there. So people who need to make money take any alternative they can to get their sale.

R
Message 3 of 12
Latest reply

Yes, it's against eBay rules to advertise the same item elsewhere at the same time of the listing.
Message 4 of 12
Latest reply

It's only against the rules if it's an auction and there are bids - I've never tried it, but the eBay system would probably reject the cancellation. And even then, it can still be resolved - even after an item has sold - if both parties agree.

Here's what eBay says

"

Here's what we found for "cancelling" [ Previous ]
To cancel a transaction, both you and the buyer need to agree on the cancellation or you won't receive a final value fee credit. 

To cancel a transaction, open a case in the Resolution Centre. A few important notes: 
  • The buyer has up to 7 days to respond to your case. To receive a final value fee credit, the buyer must agree to cancel the transaction. If you haven't received a response after 7 days, close the case and you'll receive a final value fee credit.
  • You need to close your case within 60 days after the sale. After 60 days, if you haven't closed your case, eBay automatically closes it and you won't receive a final value fee credit.
  • After you've closed your case you'll receive a final value fee credit within 7 to 10 business days. Learn more about cancelling a transaction.
R
Message 5 of 12
Latest reply

@ozcraftsptyltd wrote:

It's only against the rules if it's an auction and there are bids - I've never tried it, but the eBay system would probably reject the cancellation. And even then, it can still be resolved - even after an item has sold - if both parties agree.

It is actually against the rules to advertise an item elsewhere while it's listed on eBay, regardless of format, so while a seller can end an item that's currently listed, or send a mutual cancellation after it sold, technically and officially it shouldn't be becuase it sold from being advertised elsewhere.

Under the selling practices policy > Product Availability:

You must not:

• List an item that may be out of stock at the time of purchase

• List an item that you're simultaneously selling outside of eBay

• Offer an item that may not be what's delivered to the buyer

• Offer an inflated number of items in a multi-quantity listing.

http://pages.ebay.com.au/help/policies/selling-practices.html

Message 6 of 12
Latest reply

You have an option when cancelling a sale to say it is no longer available. In any case, this is not a rule they could reasonably expect to enforce. Note, for example the many large businesses which have shopfront sales as well as eBay stores.

R
Message 7 of 12
Latest reply

Ozcraft it is a rule that certainly can be, and is, enforced. Ebay will remove a listing if somebody reports that the seller states the item is for sale anywhere else.

Of course if a seller is sensible enough not to make any statements in the listing they can get away with ending listings at any time up until the last 12 hours using the reason that the item is no longer available.

See what a trendsetter I am?
Message 8 of 12
Latest reply

This just happened to me. I bought and paid for a Samsung tablet with the buy it now option, rather than bid. The vendor then informed me that it had sold 10 mins earlier on gumtree and I am being refunded. I missed out on another auction opting for this one. Now I have nothing. wff!
Message 9 of 12
Latest reply

The rules have changed over the last SEVEN years.

eBay no longer prohibit cross-platform listings.

What you can take from this is that you have probably dodged a bullet. The only sellers authorised to sell proprietiary items are authorised resellers. Admittedly you could have been trying to buy a cheap secondhand tablet, with no warranty, but it doesn't negate the fact that the discussions on this thread have nothing to do with 2020.

Message 10 of 12
Latest reply