signature on delivery

There has been talk on these boards aout Australia Post "safe Dropping" parcels that are supposed to be "signature on delivery".

Is there any point in paying for this if AP just ignore it?  This seems an illegal practice  (not providing a service that has been paid for)  AP taking a photo in this case, as someone suggested seems a bit stupid and pointless, as it doesn't film anyone taking the item after this.  If the buyer paid for (and wanted) it to be signed for, then wouldn't they be blaming the seller and leaving bad feedback for this scenario? I am going to inquire re-my delivery lady and post office about this.  As a buyer, I have had a card left when not at home when parcel required a signature, even though I have instructed delivery person it is ok to safe drop and have provided a very safe place for this which has been pointed out to them. (this is as it should be)   would love to hear your thoughts and experiences.

Message 1 of 10
Latest reply
9 REPLIES 9

signature on delivery

Conversely, I've had Australia Post not "safe drop" items, and leave a collection card - when there's been someone there who would have happily accepted the delivery had the courier actually bothered to knock on the door at any point.

Bizarre that on the one hand, they won't "safe drop" an item when requested to do so, and on the other, they will "safe drop" an item when effectively requested not to (when a signature is requested)!

Message 2 of 10
Latest reply

signature on delivery

lyndal1838
Honored Contributor

The photo is only taken when a SOD parcel is safe dropped.   It is not taken in the case of an ordinary parcel being safe dropped.

It is probably a good idea to pay for SOD if you need proof that the item was delivered.....if it goes walkies after delivery the seller should still be covered in the event of a dispute.

Message 3 of 10
Latest reply

signature on delivery

I may have confused readers here. AP did the right thing by me, as they "should not" safe drop under any circumstances if the parcel needs to be signed for. In other words, I had instructed it was ok to safe drop parcels in general, but I would not expect, nor should they, safe drop if it had to be signed for. So, common sense did prevail and they did the right thing by leaving a card. This is what I found on the AP website. I presume that "where the Sender also allows this", would mean that the sender has not paid for a signature.

safe drop.JPG

Message 4 of 10
Latest reply

signature on delivery

I am finding this very confusing.  Say I want to sell an item but I want a signature at the other end, and the buyer has requested safe drop, then I would not know this and if I paid for a signature, I would be wasting my money.  I have also, (as a buyer) bought items, where I had the option of adding and paying for signature on delivery. So, I am wondering, who should pay for this? It really is a protection for both buyer and seller, as a seller, should I just add the cost to the listing ?(not sure if there is an ooption for this, I've never taken any notice), there is, however, an option to add it when printing a label.  Items that are a little pricey would be safer with a signature on delivery.  Any thoughts?

Message 5 of 10
Latest reply

signature on delivery

It just looks to me that a buyer (receiver) can override your instructions, but I've never thought of it like that. We've certainly had parcels delivered here, sig required, where I've gone online and requested safe drop. But the postie knows us well, and what to do with a parcel. It is indeed safe.

I don't know how eBay might look at it in disputed delivery, but if you apply common sense you would think the onus comes back on the buyer who changed the delivery instructions. You would think?

It is a bit confusing, but that's what I make of it, and I don't see it being anyone's responsibility other than the seller. It's of a discretionary nature isn't it? Or, alternatively, if the buyer 'requires' it, then perhaps the buyer should pay for it.

Its a little bit like insurance. If I'm a bit sussy about a buyer I'll apply insurance and pay for it myself, without the buyers knowledge. But generally, we only apply insurance upon request and at the buyers expense.

Not sure if this helps, but?

melina

Message 6 of 10
Latest reply

signature on delivery

You can prevent buyers from overriding SOD required if you don't put their phone number or email address on the parcel, as those are the identifying details, along with a My Post account, that allow it.

I leave them off when creating labels in My Post, but the phone number is filled in on eBay and I could never see where to edit it out. This also means they can't redirect a parcel, which is a concern of mine because I don't know how that fits in with the MBG.

This may not affect anything when buyers have arranged for safe drop on all parcels, though.
Message 7 of 10
Latest reply

signature on delivery

@clubesquirewrote:

It just looks to me that a buyer (receiver) can override your instructions, but I've never thought of it like that. We've certainly had parcels delivered here, sig required, where I've gone online and requested safe drop. But the postie knows us well, and what to do with a parcel. It is indeed safe.

I've been online to request safe drop on parcels. Sometimes I get wording to the effect that the seller will not allow this parcel to be safe-dropped.

Message 8 of 10
Latest reply

signature on delivery

A copy of my post in another similar thread...

Ok here is the good stuff from my son who works for AP call centre in Brisbane.
Firstly the rules for safe drop are different between eparcel and regular parcels.
For regular parcels if there is a SOD sticker on it then the parcel cannot be safe dropped at all. It can't even be authorized by the receiver thru their MyPost account. If there is nobody at the address and signature is required then it MUST be carded and signed for on pickup.
If the delivery driver's scanner is not equipped with a camera (most are now) then that driver is not authorized to safe drop at all. If an item is safe dropped then a photo is mandatory.
No part of any person is allowed in a safe drop pic. This is for privacy and security reasons.
I think that about covers safe drop for regular parcels.
If there are other questions I will run them by him.
Message 9 of 10
Latest reply

signature on delivery

That allays the confusion.

Its good to be able to get this sort of info.

thanks Clarry.

Melina.

Message 10 of 10
Latest reply