the roll out of ebay managed payments

i'm sure a lot or most of you probably received the managed payments email this morning. in case you didn't, or missed here - ebay is rolling out managed payments later in the year with pre-registration opening shortly.

more info is located at https://sellercentre.ebay.com.au/managed-payments

Message 1 of 699
Latest reply
698 REPLIES 698

@padi*0409 wrote:

@sandlash wrote:

Years ago they tried to make it payment by Paypal only and the ACCC ruled against it, So it meant we could accept any payment type. 

Not quite the full story there, the ACCC ruled that sellers had to offer at least one payment method that gave buyer protection, which meant that they didn't have to offer Paypal if they had Merchant Banking facilities (EFTPOS).

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

not quite the full story there either. The second half of ebays proposal included that paypal was the ONLY form of paymane other than cash on pick up.  When the ACCC questioned that this would remove competition from the market ebay withdrew the second half of their proposal

https://www.accc.gov.au/media-release/accc-proposes-to-revoke-immunity-for-ebays-paypal-only-policy

"The ACCC acknowledges that having PayPal as the only payment provider has the potential to deliver some benefits to users, such as increased buyer protection insurance in certain circumstances. However, the ACCC believes that consumers are in the best position to decide which payment method is most suitable for them.

"The notified conduct denies them that choice. Accordingly, the ACCC considers that these benefits do not outweigh the anti-competitive effects of the conduct," Mr Samuel said.

eBay proposes to implement the conduct in two stages. From 21 May 2008, all sellers on eBay were required to offer PayPal as one of their accepted payment methods. The second stage of the conduct is due to commence on 17 June 2008, with the requirement that all transactions on eBay must be paid for using PayPal or cash on pickup.

"In light of the serious competition concerns raised in the draft notice and the significant concerns raised by interested parties, I have asked eBay to delay implementation of the second stage of the conduct until a final decision is made by the ACCC," Mr Samuel said.

TELL ME AND I WILL FORGET, SHOW ME AND I MAY REMEMBER,, INVOLVE ME AND I WILL UNDERSTAND Confucius 450bc
Message 171 of 699
Latest reply

Summary

eBay proposes to supply the services offered on the eBay Site (including search, listing and transaction functions) to registered users of the eBay Site, on condition that users only acquire the online payment services provided by PayPal Australia Pty Ltd.

The ACCC issued a draft notice proposing to revoke eBay's notification on 12 June 2008 (available under 'ACCC decisions').

eBay withdrew this exclusive dealing notitification on 3 July 2008.

eBay International AG - Notification - N93365

TELL ME AND I WILL FORGET, SHOW ME AND I MAY REMEMBER,, INVOLVE ME AND I WILL UNDERSTAND Confucius 450bc
Message 172 of 699
Latest reply

Some interesting and very ANGRY folks on that blog. Picked up one tip, have a second account on standby.

Our main account has had four MP sign up ultimatums, secondary account, zip.
Message 174 of 699
Latest reply

Yeah it seems to be older accounts getting asked to do it, or high feedback ones. Have you signed up on main account?
Message 175 of 699
Latest reply

@twyngwyn wrote:
https://www.ecommercebytes.com/C/blog/blog.pl?/pl/2020/6/1593523461.html

All of the fees have been published here except for insertion fees, however they said that sellers on managed payments will get 250k free listings (presumably per month) - I don't have this currently reflected in my eBay account, though signing up early was supposed to supply them straight away (not that I need them, with a featured store and a little under 700 listings). 

The US fees are also published since there's been sellers on it for months, however their instertion fee structure is different to ours - I'm presuming since there's been no announcement surrounding insertion fees other than the 250k free ones, pricing for that remains the same (honestly, I don't see why they would change, those costs are unrelated to payment processing). 

Message 176 of 699
Latest reply

I have had 3 goes at verifying so far - each time I get a message saying your account details need to be verified.

Perhaps I'm not me?

Message 177 of 699
Latest reply

How do you know when you've been successfully verified? I registered last Tuesday and have heard nothing.

In my portal, it says:

"We'll email and notify you in eBay Messages before activating your account for managed payments, starting late July 2020. You've successfully registered for managed payments. Thanks for getting your business ready early."

Does that mean it's verified, or do you get something else?

Message 178 of 699
Latest reply

@everard6920 wrote:

How do you know when you've been successfully verified? I registered last Tuesday and have heard nothing.

In my portal, it says:

"We'll email and notify you in eBay Messages before activating your account for managed payments, starting late July 2020. You've successfully registered for managed payments. Thanks for getting your business ready early."

Does that mean it's verified, or do you get something else?

That's what mine said after I completed registration, but apparently others have had their registration status as pending, but I couldn't say why / what triggers it.

I received an email on the 16th June advising I'd be switched over on the 20th of July, and haven't had anything flagged with regards to my details, so I would presume I'm all set and will just get switched over in a couple of weeks. 

Message 179 of 699
Latest reply

I had a chat with ebay the other day.

You can't opt out, my query was because in the notice it claimed that ebay would be managing most accounts by the end of the year, I wanted it know if this 'most' meant that some may be able to opt out.

But no, bottom line, no-one can opt out.

Not happy either, we finally get instant payment from paypal and now have to go back to waiting three days before the money reaches our bank account.

We will be told the customer has paid and send immediately of course, like it used to be in the dark ages.

Fun times ahead.

I said I didn't want to register ahead, that was fine and I asked if ebay would let me know when it would become compulsory.

The chat person said that ebay would "send everyone a blast" when the time came. Made me laugh as it seemed rather apt.

Jenny

Message 180 of 699
Latest reply