the roll out of ebay managed payments

i'm sure a lot or most of you probably received the managed payments email this morning. in case you didn't, or missed here - ebay is rolling out managed payments later in the year with pre-registration opening shortly.

more info is located at https://sellercentre.ebay.com.au/managed-payments

Message 1 of 699
Latest reply
698 REPLIES 698

The email "eBay for Business" I received this morning contains veiled threats if you don't register. Key points in it are:

"your account, waddingtonfirstaid, will be activated for managed payments at the end of July"

So that now comes across as we don't have a choice.

"by registering now you will ensure that your business does not experience any disruptions after it is activated in late July 2020."

So that means we'll suffer some way if we do not register.

"If you complete registration for managed payments before 31st May we’ll waive your insertion fees1 enabling you to list all of your inventory on eBay without being charged to list."

Well, we don't pay any insertion fees anyway, but does this mean all that resets so eBay can specifically engineer policy changes for insertion fees and dishonour previous policy conditions we already listed under?

"More ways for buyers to pay: Buyers can pay with credit cards, PayPal, Apple Pay, Google Pay or Afterpay."

No, this is going to reduce payment options - particularly fee-free payment options so customers do not pay loaded prices hiding payment fees. There will be a lack of transparency if fee-free PayID and Direct Bank Deposit Transfer options are not included.

"Payouts are regularly deposited to your bank account weekly or as soon as funds are available....

Regardless of how the buyer pays, payouts are consistently available within two business days of an order confirmation"

Could take days to actually receive lump sums. This will also drive sellers not to provide Tax Invoices because it will become much too difficult trying to reconcile individual payments against invoices which have to be dispatched quickly during the time it takes eBay to actually forward money to our business bank account, most likely in lump sums along with other paymets across multiple days. What a nightmare! What about businesses who already have payment and reconciliation software in place?

"one final value fee consisting of a category-based percentage of the total amount of the sale plus a fixed fee per order with no third-party payments processing fees"

Might make it easier for eBay but how will sellers claim third-party merchant fees or sell goods that are not loaded price-wise by third-party processing fees? It makes a mockery of ACCC and federal government laws relating to merchant fees and consumers being able to avoid paying them. It also makes a mockery of businesses who sell goods at real low prices, not loaded by hidden payment fees.

Footnote states, "2. Savings based on annual total sales volumes, and comparisons of (a) prior eBay final value fees plus typical 3rd party payment provider fees, with (b) new eBay final value fees (with no 3rd party processing fees)."

But this conveniently leaves out current sales paid with fee-free payment methods such as cash, PayID and Direct Bank Deposit. Therefore, any premise of savings made by eBay is not only considered by me to be a lie, in my opionion, suggesting that this will be a good thing for buyers is a breach of the Consumer Act for misleading and deceptive conduct when in fact it has the potential to actually cost buyers more. This will not be a good deal at all for buyers going into the future.

Looking at https://www.ebay.com.au/help/selling/fees-credits-invoices/ebay-stores-selling-fees?id=4809 shows many stores will pay FVF 10.4% according to the Tier 2 category or 11.9% for Tier 4 + a .30c fee for every order - ALL EXCLUDING GST! So, now we're looking at about FVF 11.5% + .33c (not including the monthly shop rent) which is a definite increase in fees compared to our current 10.6% (based on last month's sales) because buyers will not have the option to pay with PayID or Direct Bank Deposit. There will be no transparency to payment fees or for customers to have a real choice in buying product that should be cheaper when fee-free payment methods like PayID or Direct Bank Deposit are used. More money going out of Australia to entities which sometimes register themselves in low tax havens and make their business activities more opaque and more costly to the average consumer. This is NOT A GOOD DEAL FOR BUYERS!

But the fees do not end here. Check out the additional fees for:

International sales fee

If your registered address is in Australia, you pay an international sales fee when either the buyer's registered address or delivery location is outside Australia.

Dispute fees

When you are found responsible for a chargeback or other disputed amount as per eBay's policies, we charge a dispute fee of $22 (excl. GST) for each dispute.

Charges for supplemental services

Multiple service fees  https://www.ebay.com.au/help/selling/fees-credits-invoices/ebay-stores-selling-fees?id=4809

Additional terms and conditions for eBay fees

https://www.ebay.com.au/help/selling/fees-credits-invoices/ebay-stores-selling-fees?id=4809

HOWEVER, not accounting for the above 4 addional fee measures, could the overall change to one FVF including payment options actually be beneficial to sellers? Does this mean we no longer see eBay payments go through Paypal, whereby the previous Paypal fees are saved as part of the above equation? This is not made clear.

If Paypal is no longer part of the equation, current sales which cost us 10.6% eBay fees and 2.6-3.6% + .30c Paypal fees, making a fee total of around 14%, compared to the new eBay FVF including all payment fees 11.3% + .33c might appear on the surface to be attractive enough to apply for the new payment service (although I still can't get my head around efficiently reconciling individual payments against invoices). But why can't eBay confirm this? Why can't eBay use an average seller, like us, to confirm the new payment arrangement will be a real benefit to sellers and quite possibly an overall benefit to buyers? Although, as stated above, without a fee-free payment option, buyers will be railroaded into always paying higher prices.

Message 21 of 699
Latest reply

Am I reading it correctly - we have no choice?  I either sign up by 15th July or else - My letter states "your account, will be activated for managed payments at the end of July. To ensure you are ready for the change and that there are no interruptions to your business, you will need to register by 15th July 2020."

As you say, only GST registered businesses will see a saving, seemed like a good idea but now I am now not so keen.  Although doing the figures, it is only 0.04% + 0.03c extra per sale, compared to PayPal, but still another extra charge to wear, on top of everything else going up.

Message 22 of 699
Latest reply

Sorry, Waddingtonfirstaid, your reply wasn't there when I typed this, you sum it all up - no choice, not fair.
Message 23 of 699
Latest reply

Having reviewed the online tutorial at https://youtu.be/wisk5G2kcXE and the webpage https://sellercentre.ebay.com.au/managed-payments, it appears on the surface this change will provide a fee saving benefit for sellers, mainly due to Paypal fees no longer featuring which account for the majority of buyer payments. eBay have also stated that those who join early will not pay insertion fees in the future if they register/join before 31st May 2020 with footnote 1. Insertion fee will be waived up to 250,000 listings a month. Listings beyond this will be considered excessive and incur a fee. eBay have also stated that all sellers will be required to have this payment procedure in the future to be able to sell on eBay. So, all up, we will need to register/join but eBay products will most likely be more expensive due to no facility for buyers to use a fee-free payment option which could have made their purchase cheaper. As for reconciling payments, we may have to change our feed-in bank account so lump sums coming from eBay can be individually split into separate amounts forwarded separately to our company banking account for individual off-setting against invoices. This will be a real nightmare and very time consuming.

Message 24 of 699
Latest reply

i too read through all the **bleep** and it certainly doesn't sound like a decent deal for sellers which will ultimately effect buyers (with sellers having to increase prices).

the biggest issue which stands out to me is the "dispute fee" of AU$22 - when a chargeback or other dispute is not found in your favour. the good thing with paypal was that chargebacks were at least covered under their seller protection. banks rarely find chargebacks in the sellers favour as they listen to their customer. also, we all know how disputes go with ebay when it comes to buyers vs sellers. 

if the paypal account is handled on ebays end - they're charging $22 to the seller when they'll actually not lose any money because i'm guessing they'll be covered by paypal? out of everything, this is what stands out to me as being the biggest rip-off. 

Message 25 of 699
Latest reply

i'm pretty sure there was never going to be a choice once ebay swithced over to managed payments. you were never going to be able to just stay with things how they were - there was only an option as to whether or not you pre-registered now. unless i misinterpreted it. 

Message 26 of 699
Latest reply

Hopefully the dispute fee will weed out bad sellers, especially non-Australian sellers or those pretending to be Australian, as well as people who lodge a dispute without good reason. eBay will have to handle things very carefully if they start charging businesses dispute fees with 100% feedback and top seller rating. I'm hoping eBay use this fee measure to start better supporting their top rated sellers because without quality sellers, you don't have a quality marketplace at all. I also hope the fee will be applied to people who fail to answer/respond to dispute processes.

Message 27 of 699
Latest reply

I'm a spreadsheet nerd so I created a spreadsheet projections chart. It compares the current fee structure to the proposed managed payment (MP) fee structure at all 3 levels of store, at a range of sales from $1000 to $100,000 per month going up in increments of $500. I included GST for all ebay collected payments, but no GST on Paypal payments. I did not take into account the new international fees or dispute fees, purely store subscription, final value fees and payment collection fees (paypals 2.9%). I also did not include insertion fees so my comparison assumes all listings are made under the included free listings per month. I calculated final value fees at the Tier 2 level as that covers the most categories.

This projection also does not take into account the transaction processing fee, Paypal being 30c (no GST) and ebay being 33c (incl GST). This is a 3c difference and your total will vary depending on how many transactions you make. Two sellers might sell the same turnover per month but in a very different amount of transactions so this must be applied separately.

My projections show the new MP system results in a saving range of 1.8% to 2.22% fees for basic store owners, 2.85% to 4.41% for featured store owners, and 0.37% to 2.47% for anchor store owners. The lower of those numbers is applicable to $1000 turnover per month, the higher to $100,000 turnover.

So if you multiply your store subscription fee +FVF's +PPs 2.9% by that percentage there is your base saving. Then you divide that base saving by 3c (the difference in transaction fees), this will tell you how many transactions you can have to make that turnover before the new system costs you rather than saves you money. From my picking various scenarios out of my chart I can see that the projected savings are eaten up by the additional 3c fee when you have transactions that are below around $11 in value. If you sell items above that value then your transaction:turnover ratio will be higher and you will save within the ranges described in the previous paragraph. Eg. If you make only one sale to receive your $1000/mo you will obviously save more than someone who sells ten items to make the same amount. If you sell one hundred items to make your $1000 then the new system will cost you.

In short, ebay needs to implement a microtransaction fee like paypal currently has to make this worth it for low cost high volume sellers.

The main advantage here is the 250,000k free listings for all store levels.

Message 28 of 699
Latest reply

But PayPal fees are currently 2.6% + 0.30c, not 2.9%? On every level you only are a winner if you are GST registered, otherwise you are down a little. Sorry, not sure how you are calculating.
Message 29 of 699
Latest reply

I apologise, not sure why I wrote 2.9% I did calculate them as 2.6%. It won't let me edit the post now.

Message 30 of 699
Latest reply