when is ebay going to realise that DSR may be unfairly misleading?

sewcilla
Community Member

I get glowing, positive comments but somehow have only managed 4.9 for my first 3 stars and (gasp) 4.8 for postage and handling.

I stand by what I sell as I describe it honestly and accurately.

I answer the rare questions I get politely and, again, honestly.

I live down the road from the post office and everything I sell is dispatched within 24 hours ( except for Sunday because the PO is closed).

I only charge what Australia Post charges me and I pack everything ever so carefully.

I do not know what else I can do...

I have come to the conclusion that some people never give 5 out of 5 for whatever reason and when they comment on postage and handling they are critising Australia Post, not me.

What a flawed system!!!

Message 1 of 16
Latest reply
15 REPLIES 15

I agree, the DSR ratings are not fully understood by some buyers.  I have heard many stories of buyers marking a seller down for slow delivery times despite the Postage DSR meant to be how quickly a seller posts an item.

There used used to be a member on these boards who once admitted that when they first joined eBay they thought a 3 star rating was a good starting point when giving ratings.  God knows what a seller would have to do to get a 5 star rating from that member when they first joined eBay.

To take it a little further, there are many members who feel the whole feedback system is flawed and not acting as intended by the founder of eBay.

Message 2 of 16
Latest reply

Totally agree.

i had one buyer mark my description as a 3 (A brand new item with no faults or flaws, go figure) and marked my communication 2 ( yet not once did I receive any communication from her (sigh)

Message 3 of 16
Latest reply

Until recently you could check who gave you dinged stars, but eBay in their wisdom removed that feature. Once again, buyers are allowed to do whatever they like with no repercussions.

Message 4 of 16
Latest reply

It's the same with any sort of survey, there are a lot of people around who will never mark the extreme ends, they go for the middle. That is, if everything goes well. If it didn't, they would probably hit the one star if they were angry.

To many people, a 3 would mean average/normal.

5 stars would signify something significantly better than normal.

I hear your pain about the postage. You're actually losing on it by the time you pay for materials & then the fees, yet some people will still not be happy. They will base it on whether they think the postage fees themselves are dear or not. A lot would not even realise you pay fees not just on the item price but on the postage too. We once had a woman who complained bitterly about the postage charges and felt they should have been half what they were, even though we were charging her only exactly what it cost us, not for the box or wrapping or anything else.

Ebay to my mind should not worry about DSR rating too much unless it hits under 3.

Message 5 of 16
Latest reply

Can you imagine if there were DBR ?

Did the buyer only pay after being reported for non-payment ? or not pay at all ? 

Did the buyer blame you for postal delays/strikes/or other Australia Post stuff ups?

Did they buyer blame you because they opted to not read the item description?

Did they buyer get abusive when you rejected their unsolicited 'offer' for your item

Did the buyer make a false claim due to them changing their mind or other bogus claim ? 

As if Smiley LOL

Message 6 of 16
Latest reply

@justkidzbiz wrote:

Totally agree.

i had one buyer mark my description as a 3 (A brand new item with no faults or flaws, go figure) and marked my communication 2 ( yet not once did I receive any communication from her (sigh)

Did you communicate with them,(eg: sent them a message?).

Because if there was no communication then they are not supposed to have that star line show up,(in the past

before they changed it you could get it removed if there was no communication from either side).

That may have changed again but it was to stop sellers getting dinged for something that didn't happen,(the

same as shipping and handling DSR's are given as 5 stars if it was free postage).

Message 7 of 16
Latest reply

@go-tazz wrote:

same as shipping and handling DSR's are given as 5 stars if it was free postage).

You brought up another flawed system. A $50 FREE Postage item will get an automatic 5 star while the exact same item at $20+$8 Postage will get you a 3 star because you overcharge 10 cents in postage.

Message 8 of 16
Latest reply

eBay pretty much acknolwedged the flaws inherent in DSRs when they stopped low ones from giving defects to sellers (they didn't always, of course, but for a - thankfully brief - moment in time, a 3 or lower score for description, and a 2 or lower score for postage time / cost resulted in a defect that could affect the seller's account, or even see them suspended in enough were accrued. If memory serves, communication couldn't get a defect, even if marked a 1).

They are wholly subjective, and I've heard a lot of reasons why buyers mark down that I personally don't agree with, but one person's logic is often another person's irrationality (eg there are buyers who will never mark a secondhand item at 5, only brand new items, or those who rate on a scale of "like" rather than genuinely considering the accuracy etc of descriptions, postage quotes and all that stuff. I send a lot of stuff as large letters, and I charge less than $3 for this ($2 for stamps, 50c priority on all of them, and the padded envelope), yet I still get people complaining about cost and suggesting I should be using small letters to send for $1 instead. (Sometimes I flex my fingers and tell these people all the things wrong with that suggestion, other times I just ignore).

I've even heard of a buyer who complained to a seller over a 10c discrepancy in what they paid for postage and the stamped price on the package (so they didn't even think about packaging costs), so it's essentially impossible for every single person to know what's involved in all aspects of selling, to understand what they're being asked to rate, and then to do so objectively.

You also have some buyers who like to be communicated with directly, and other buyers who very much dislike getting even the automated emails, let alone additional ones from the seller, so no matter what your personal "best practices" are, there's simply no way you can work out a method that hits everyone's buttons, so to speak, and no matter what you do, there's likely to be at least a few who will dislike it and mark you down, even if the majority love it and leave glowing FB. 

So, the best thing to do is to simply carry on with what works best for you, and consider the DSRs as an overview of people's (occasionally irrational) subjectivity rather than an accurate portrayal of your performance as a seller. I know that as a buyer, I won't even look twice at DSRs unless they are well below average, and 4.8s or 9's definitely aren't. 

Message 9 of 16
Latest reply

I agree with all you've said. I don't think it is a 'secret' to anyone that the DSR are hugely subjective, so why hasn't Ebay ditched them long ago? Who are the DSR suppose to be helping?

I can only guess that Ebay stopped sellers from seeing the DSR report because some sellers were blocking anyone who gave them less than 5 stars. Ebay understands that the DSR are subjective and they don't want people blocked on that basis, especially when the comments reflect positive sales. Ebay, afterall, doesn't want to lose customers!

Message 10 of 16
Latest reply