who agrees with me? no negative feedback until a buyer contacts the seller!

rmsimmons2009
Community Member
I have a theory, and I just wanted to know who agrees and who does not! I was recently left negative feedback from a buyer who claims the dress she bought from me was stained. I know it wasn't, but that's beside the point.the buyer was incredibly rude, called me a liar and a scammer, and that I should be ashamed to sell on Ebay. She never contacted me at all regarding her issue with the dress, and if she had of,I would have cheerily refunded her and let her keep the dress. She just left me feedback, which wasn't particularly nice (negative feedback usually isn't,I know!) I want to know why Ebay hasn't made it so a buyer cannot leave negative feedback unless they contact the seller FIRST to resolve the issue. The seller could offer a refund or an exchange. If they ignore the buyer or refuse to help, then negative feedback can be left. if they come to a happy conclusion, then neutral or positive can then be left, keeping both parties happy. I no longer want to sell on Ebay, and I know people who have shut down their Ebay accounts all together due to one buyer ruining their feedback because they were too thoughtless to contact the seller first. When feedback is ruined, buyers are not going to want to go near you. I tend to avoid Sellers with really bad feedback, but I check to see what was written first. I know that Ebay would be non existent without buyers, but it's the seller that gives them something to buy in the first place!
Message 1 of 50
Latest reply
49 REPLIES 49

Re: who agrees with me? no negative feedback until a buyer contacts the seller!

tmf2000
Community Member

I agree in principle... but I can see how it could happen.

If you have been burn too many times as a buyer... you could not be bother to go through the hassle again. Too many sellers seem to think that buyers have nothing better to do and should be the ones dealing with the problem.

I can also see someone buying something for $2. If you were being sent the wrong thing... you would not be bother to argue about it and going through the hassle of sending it back. So you just punish the seller for his mistake.

I have bought heaps of stuff on Ebay during the last two years. And as a whole my experience has been very good. But some sellers (not many) still don't take online business seriously.

Many times I have been over generous with my feedback. As a rule I give 5 stars across the board wether they deserve it or not. Half of them don't deserve 5 stars on how fast they post the item and on postage cost. Many still include the cost of packing the item in the postage. There is no way you should have to pay $5.60 of postage to be sent a DVD.

I now buy most of my DVDs overseas. I can get DVDs in the UK for half the price I would pay in Australia... including postage.

I currently have a problem myself. Only the second time. I bought a T-shirt for $35 and I was sent the wrong colour one. When I told him... he implied that I was colour blind and that he don't make mistakes. On top of that... it would cost me $8.00 to send it back. Making the T-shirt cost $43.

Well I cannot be bother. I don't want the hassle, nor do I want to spend more money on it. So I gave him a negative feedback. I think it is only the second time. And I removed the first one when the guy refunded my money.

I know we are only human and we do make mistakes. And we expect to be forgiven for our mistakes.

Fact is... you cannot afford to make a mistake on Ebay. Because once a buyer has been going through it 3 or 4 times... he is not going to forgive anyone anymore. He is going to hammer you.

We shop online for the convenience. It is meant to be easy and fast. If you don't answer your messages everyday and take 5 days to post something... you have no business doing business online.

Message 31 of 50
Latest reply

Hi

I am a buyer not a seller and I agree with you one hundred percent.

People with the best of intentions sometimes are busy or stressed over something and a mistake may slip past.

I think you can tell a scammer and a mistaken act easily.

I do not give bad feed back if possible  I always try to resolve first and if mistake has been made come to a happy win win position for both of  us.   I often tell them to hold on to the money when get item back will choose something else no problem.

But I have had sellers trying to give me the run around they knew exactly what they were selling etc.

Then I give a bad feedback and will not retract it.   Actually I have only ever had to give one.  In my time on Ebay.

Take heart there are nasty people all over the world do not let them get to you.   You know in your soul your doing the right thing.

Hang in there

Message 32 of 50
Latest reply

marsha3330
Community Member

I know how you feel!  You can receive 20 positive comments, but it is the single negative comment that is remembered!  Some people must be so sad in their lives that hurting others is a way for them to feel better.

Message 33 of 50
Latest reply

robynd5269
Community Member

I agree that there should be more to help the seller. I recently sold an item that apparently turned up broken. The buyer contacted & I offered to refund the money when item was returned. Item never turned up and now the buyer has left neg feedback. I can understand if they are dissapointed that item was broken, but they never returned item. I am not going to refund money until I can check that item has been broken, so why not return item. Do they want to keep an item that has turmed up in good order & get their money back??? I pride myself in being an honest & fair seller which is reflected in my feedback score.

Message 34 of 50
Latest reply

See in that situation robynd I would not have asked my buyer to return the broken plate. I would have asked for a photo showing said plate, and then refunded. It would have cost money to send back, which is no doubt the reason they didn't, not to mention  I don't think you can send broken crockery/glass legally via mail or any method for that matter.

You can't please all the people all the time, so now I just please myself

Message 35 of 50
Latest reply

I agree that there should be more to help the seller. I recently sold an item that apparently turned up broken. The buyer contacted & I offered to refund the money when item was returned. Item never turned up and now the buyer has left neg feedback. I can understand if they are dissapointed that item was broken, but they never returned item. I am not going to refund money until I can check that item has been broken, so why not return item. Do they want to keep an item that has turmed up in good order & get their money back??? I pride myself in being an honest & fair seller which is reflected in my feedback score.

You must be joking, did you really expect them to send you broken plate and spend $12 for postage?  Well deserved NEG.

maybe, if you apologise refund in full the $18, and ask if they would be so kind to revise the FB, they might.

000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000

Voltaire: “Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities, Can Make You Commit Atrocities” .
Message 36 of 50
Latest reply

Some people must be so sad in their lives that hurting others is a way for them to feel better.

Vast majority of people do not leave NEGs to hurt anybody; they leave NEGs because they were seriously unhappy with the transaction.  It is up to the seller to make sure their buyers are not unhappy.  🙂

And NEGs are also very useful as a warning if you as a buyer want to avoid disappointment with your purchases, or even worse avoid getting scammed.

000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000

Voltaire: “Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities, Can Make You Commit Atrocities” .
Message 37 of 50
Latest reply

I don't think you can send broken crockery/glass legally via mail or any method for that matter.

You are correct oh green hued one 😄

You keep using that word, I do not think it means what you think it means
Message 38 of 50
Latest reply

jody_snowy
Community Member

I have left neutral feed back on an item for the first time the other day. I had second thought about buying from them as any neutral or negative feed back had nasty responses from the seller. The item I bought was a fake and as I could still use it I decided that it would not be negative nor positive as it was advertised as real. How are we expected to respond in this situation?

Message 39 of 50
Latest reply

I have left neutral feed back on an item for the first time the other day. I had second thought about buying from them as any neutral or negative feed back had nasty responses from the seller. The item I bought was a fake and as I could still use it I decided that it would not be negative nor positive as it was advertised as real. How are we expected to respond in this situation?

JMO but you should have left a negative-who cares if they left a nasty response?It would reflect on them not you anyway.

Just re the sellers comment though-did you contact her 1st? And if you did & she wasn't helpful then a neg would have been warranted.

The other buyer who left a neutral today has also been rather generous IMO-wonder if they contacted seller 1st though?

Message 40 of 50
Latest reply