Australia Post is about to discontinue No Safe Drop stickers

On Tuesday July 1st, Australia Post will be discontinuing its No Safe Drop stickers. This has been a rushed decision, and my local Australia Post only heard about it 2 days ago. Most people at the customer callcentre at 13 13 18 haven't heard about it. I managed to see an internal memo that was circulated to outlets.

This meansthat from July 1st, items with a No Safe Drop sticker or No Safe Drop written on them will be left outside the front door or in the mailbox. There are 3 ways to avoid this:

- Spend a extra $2.95 per item on a signed-for service (which in addition to being uneconomic will probably make life difficult for customers who are unable to wait at home.)

- Use the Parcel Collect system. (This requires every recipient to sign up to the Parcel Collect system by filling in a form. Australia Post are also unable to provide an overview of which parts of the country have this service and which do not, unless you run through every postcode one-by-one over the phone. So this option is out.)

- A parcel locker. (This is only available to PO box customers in major cities, so is also out in nearly every case.)

In essence, this move is a cash grab to get people sending more valuable items to shell out the $2.95. Please complain about this, and keep putting the stickers on.

Remember that you can complain about Australia Post to the Postal Industry Ombudsman on 1300 362 072 or online at https://forms.business.gov.au/aba/ombudsman/postal-industry-ombudsman-complaint-form-. They require you to have already put in a formal complaint to Australia Post on 13 76 78. If like me, Australia Post refuses to pursue your complaint while providing no justification, you can go straight to the Ombudsman.

Message 1 of 13
Latest reply
12 REPLIES 12

Re: Australia Post is about to discontinue No Safe Drop stickers

Apologies for the link above. The problem is the full stop at the end. On Firefox I right-click the link, do Copy Link Location, open a new tab, paste into the top URL bar, delete the full stop, then press enter.

If you're like me, in Firefox you will be asked to download the latest version of Adobe Reader (even if you already have it) before you can view the form, but will be able to copy and paste the link into Explorer and get it to work immediately.

Message 11 of 13
Latest reply

@Anonymous wrote:

I have seen the memo

My PO Manager showed it to me because I did not believe him when he told me

The memo said all stickers were to be destroyed

Then it stated on the memo that the postage should be upgraded to SOD as an alternative

I was told to keep using my supply until I use them all up

It now seems that the stickers will be ignored by the delivery people

So the parcel will be left on the doorstep or wherever, and if it then gets stolen

The reply from the PO will be ... tracking number shows that it has been delivered ... so NO compensation will be applicable !

I was told in writing by the complaint resolution person that compensation is payable on a tracked parcel if the item isn't Safe Dropped, i.e. if it is visible from the footpath.

Even for non-insured items, there is a discretionary compensation of up to $50 per item.

Message 12 of 13
Latest reply

well the 3 post offices i use in three diffrent towns all use dont safe drop stickers

Message 13 of 13
Latest reply