How to KILL the AU used book sales and cost Aust Post $

I have posted this on the PS forum but as many bookies dont seem to go there I will post here as well

--

I knew they would arrive on the AU eBay site eventuatly.

This company worldofbooks-australia they are part of the UK giant and they are bulk flooding the book section

They state that they are in Wahroonga, New South Wales but thats not correct from the emails I have received from them, they are shipping from the UK and eBay is allowing them to LIE about their stock location. What they have in Australia is a PO box only and all their contact details including phone numbers are all in the UK

Now most of us the used book sellers can compete on price all be it bare bones and near go out the door pricing BUT what costs us $11.20 (standard AP 3KG bag price) to post interstate they are shipping to Australia for $2.99 and AP are delivering it for FREE.

So how much will AP lose this year that they will pass onto us ($22 million last year) if there is any of us bookies left to sell and post on here that is.

So a question for AP, how do we in Australia compete with you delivering these items for FREE and compete with the super low UK postage prices compared to our prices.

Answer is .. we cant.

PS their address in Wahroonga that they claim they are shipping from, is actually to a PO box of a lawyers office

Message 1 of 82
Latest reply
81 REPLIES 81

Re: How to KILL the AU used book sales and cost Aust Post $

But you don't throw them in general rubbish, do you? You recycle them, just like WofB.

Call some place paradise, kiss it goodbye - Don Henley
Message 11 of 82
Latest reply

I wish I had buyers like WofB - they ALL leave immediate positive feedback. Way before they could have got the book/s. Last 3 left feedback today (Sunday). Purchases were Thursday, Friday and Sunday.

Sounds legit to me.

Message 12 of 82
Latest reply

This is going to be the new eBay, one of big sellers and no little people, no Mum and Dad sellers working at home from their garage.

BTW I know the Brotherhood will take textbooks and encyclopedias and any books falling apart as they can get money for pulping them, even magazines.

Message 13 of 82
Latest reply

Of course it’s legit Pete … these were buyers that went to the lawyers office and picked up their books in person 😉

Reading books is my superpower

Message 14 of 82
Latest reply

It doesn't get any better - they are also selling via their own website with free shipping

http://www.worldofbooks.com.au/

Its not free to us the Australoan Public as its costing Australia Post abour $25 MILLION a year in losses to deliver these items and we the Australian Public are paying for that loss in higher postage prices and less profit for Australia Post...

Message 15 of 82
Latest reply

If anything, you need to take this issue of overpriced AU postage to the media Fugsy.

Get yourself onto ACA or TT and kick some Aus Post butt's

I'd like to see an Aus Post official try and worm their way out of a question like - How is it that your own Australian customers are subsidising o/seas postal agencies via higher postal charges here?

One thing you failed to mention is that Aus sellers pay GST and these bigger sellers o/seas pay zip.

Message 16 of 82
Latest reply

If you look at their UK ebay account, they always use the stock photos, but their feedback has loads of complaints about the actual conditions of the books

Message 17 of 82
Latest reply

They actually have 2 stores on UK ebay. One they dont use now by the looks of it, but they still got the store!

Message 18 of 82
Latest reply

x3n0m
Community Member

.. the fact is that now most Aussie mail order businesses cannot compete at all due to this very unfair bias by Auspost against Australians as it works out much much cheaper to post an article from Great Britain to Australia than from Australia to Australia .. the chinese seem to get a wonderful discount and yet I have found it can cost us Aussies upto 30-60 times more than they are charged for us to post the same item back to China .. I asked why this was so and was told it was because Chinese people don't earn as much as us Aussies so it is cheaper for them .. whatthe?? and the same applies to most European countries too .. the entire situation is a sham!!! many of us are winding down or have already finalised our selling operations and Auspost is a major factor in that decision making .. most mail order operators I know of have stopped restocking inventory and are just selling off with the ultimate aim to be complete liquidation as the market is deemed far too hostile to operate in .. Auspost are traitors, I hope they die a slow painful death and wipe the smug smirks from those grubby psychopathic fatcats faces as they too go bankrupt after being directly involved with the destruction of the majority of Australian mail order businesses in recent times .. and they think they have an online selling boom on their hands .. it will be interesting when they wake up to the fact that they killed the goose that lays the golden eggs .. and I hope they can still make a nice income delivering 10cent mail articles from China Australiawide, not, oh I look forward to them getting some of what they dished out .. but the truth is any unrestrained psychopath will turture and torment their victim to death and will seek out others when each victim is murdered so this predatory behaviour we have been witnessing that is being targeted against Australians by our own Postal Service is merely a sign of things to come .. they have a good throttle hold on us and they are having too much fun to stop now ..

Message 19 of 82
Latest reply

You really need to drag up some facts.

AP is obliged to deliver overseas mail for a pittance. Other countries' postal service are obliged to deliver overseas mail.

The difference is that most of those countries have larger population densities, so economies of scale apply.

Unfortunately this means AP gets very little to deliver OS mail, and charge us more to make up the shortfall. It is not voluntary, though. They cannot charge extra to deliver OS mail.

Message 20 of 82
Latest reply