Published 1730... what would you do?

Hi Bookies,

I've been procrastinating over what to do price-wise and selling-wise with the following very old book and hope you have some good ideas...

"Several sermons: chiefly upon practical subjects, many of which were preached before Her present Majesty, when Princess of Wales: by her chaplain in ordinary, the late Reverend Nicolas Brady, D.D., rector of Clapham, and minister of Richmond in Surrey". Hardcover (cloth; stained, and front cover falling off), faded gilt on spine, contents published 1730, just the 2nd from a 3 volume set.

Presumably the Princess referred to was Caroline, the wife of PoW who became George II.

I can only find Print on Demand versions available commercially; any other copies are in libraries.

Thoughts?

Message 1 of 12
Latest reply
11 REPLIES 11

Re: Published 1730... what would you do?

yarmak
Community Member

if the book is not taking up much room I would leave it a while till you do find another copy online to hazzard a guess as to the value. 

Personally I looked and found similar information what you could find - print on demand and libraies

Dave

Message 2 of 12
Latest reply

Thanks Dave, you've prompted me to set up an alert in Mr Lincoln.

I'm conscious of the truism that just being old does not necessarily make it either valuable or desirable. Cath

Message 3 of 12
Latest reply

yarmak
Community Member

Very true Cath.Supply and demand is the only variables that really defines whether a book is valuable and that goes for any article

I have several of these types of books - ones I cannot find any information on as to value put away maybe one day I will find out

Dave

Message 4 of 12
Latest reply

I would look at prices on similar books from the same era esp when you have only a single book -you might never see another listed

esp as that was back in the day when I am pretty sure the books were often sold unbound and the buyer arranged to have them bound him/her self

I know some people just like to have a really really old book on their shelf

Message 5 of 12
Latest reply

Why not place list the book with a very high value with an option to make an offer , and allow others to tell you what the book is worth to them - that way you still have an option to proceed witht he sale or decline if you think the offer is too low - just a thought!

Message 6 of 12
Latest reply

hello all not to put a damper on things but just because it is 1730

wont make it valuable

my mother inlaw had an set printed in 1800 yet was only worth 30 dollars

she was told that with moving type books became popular

so best bet take to a reputable antique book or an auction house

ask for a price then times it by 3 as they always give 1/3 price .

same for comics just because its old doesn't make it valuable.

only rarity makes it worth anything

that is why action comics no1 is nearly 1.2 million

only 4 know issues

Message 7 of 12
Latest reply

http://used.addall.com/

Have a look here ๐Ÿ™‚

Message 8 of 12
Latest reply

yarmak
Community Member

I'm trying to fathom why someone in a post would declare just because something is old doesn't make it valuable.Then proceed to give an example of a comic that is indeed old and valuable ๐Ÿ˜

I am also trying to work out what this has to do with the op's book which is a completely different ball game to comics

Dave

Message 9 of 12
Latest reply

I'm interested in Mr Lincoln, but could find nothing online about this service/company. Can you elaborate?

Message 10 of 12
Latest reply