When Book Shops Close

Noticed Lismore book shop selling off all their books in the bulk lot section, 7 - 10,000 books for $7,000.

If I lived up that way, I would be over there in a flash checking out if the quality was worth it to buy them up.

Noticed the Port Macquarie book exchange has gone now.

Shops seem to be falling like flies.

The Flinders St book shop in Melbourne had a 50% off closing down sale a few weeks ago.

Bit hard for them to compete with the $5 end of runs stores.

Message 1 of 21
Latest reply
20 REPLIES 20

Re: When Book Shops Close

The bookshop closest to us has just closed. It was an A&R, then the franchisee re-branded it when A&R went bust. She also owns another bookshop on the other side of the city.

Not sure if she tried to sell and got no interest, or just decided to shut up shop. A discount bookshop has just announced that it will be opening in the same suburb, so I guess they're taking over the lease.

Message 2 of 21
Latest reply

That's no good.

Too many shops going.

Soon a B&M bookstore will be a thing of the past.

Message 3 of 21
Latest reply

I guess everyone is downloading the latest trash read onto their kindel for a dollar a pop. A crisis in literacy.

"Be the change you want to see in the world" Mahatma Gandhi
Message 4 of 21
Latest reply

The Book Shed in Shepparton will be closing it's doors soon, they're having a half price sale at the moment.

Said the landlord didn't want to renew the lease so they're just going to close up.

Message 5 of 21
Latest reply

Just an update on my post from last year about the bookshop closing. Another bookshop has opened in its place and seems to be doing very well.

Sorry to read about the Book Shed in Shep closing. Seems a bit short-sighted of the landlord. I wonder who (if anyone) will take over the shop. There are empty shops all over the place here in ADL, and I imagine it would be worse in a lot of rural centres. 

Message 6 of 21
Latest reply

our town has has a desal vacuum taking 10 of the businesses with it and leaving some streets looking like a ghost town. Oh well, it was good while it lasted. Just getting used to the pre-desalination plant winter t/over is a bit hard:|

Message 7 of 21
Latest reply

Dave-the secondhand bookshop in my town

is now a coffee lounge with tables and chairs-

and a few book cases........................Richo.

Message 8 of 21
Latest reply

We have no bookshop at all 😞 the only options are Big W and K Mart and the newsagency remainders.

But my friend and I have a 2nd hand bookstall at the local markets, people are always asking if we have a shop, sadly we say no........ one day, maybe when the lotto god smiles 😄

Message 9 of 21
Latest reply

We are still open and growing in sales volume and customer numbers... very slowly but going in the right direction at least. Unlike our ebay sales which have been zilch for a record 4 days now. It's not easy, hidden away in a rural town (pop 900) in the middle of Tasmania with no shop windows and so many other factors against retail B&M trade here as elsewhere, but our highway location works and we keep our focus on offering a special space with unusual but appealing books. There is a fundamental business problem with being a 'hidden gem'! But we are getting there one book at a time, and now one packet of Tasmanian seeds at a time too... adds a touch of practicality to our section of gardening books.

You have to love it to keep doing it though! Once the love dies...

Cath

Message 10 of 21
Latest reply