Why don't online booksellers wrap their books in plastic?!

rip2017
Community Member

Just purchased a book from ebay that was water damaged when rain soaked the cardboard parcel. The parcel arrived on a day we got rain. Just upset as the book was rare and I got it cheap. I even tried to let it dry out but pages still tore away from each other obscuring text when I tried to open it, after it seemed to have dried a few days later. Just annoyed as the book is perfect otherwise, but is now competely worthless as a collectible or even just a mundane read. It also has water stains on pages. The book is over 20 years old, but was in otherwise new condition, why did it have to get wrecked now?!

I can't just replace the book as it is out of print and because there are no other copies of this book left for sale on ebay or amazon or the publishers website.

This all would have been avoided if the seller had wrapped the book in plastic!

I have noticed nobody who sells books wrap them in plastic- even amazon doesn't. My question is why? When everyone knows books are wrecked once wet. 

I left the seller 5 star feedback, as I know it was not their fault. And I couldn't be bothered with the hassle of messaging them over something that should be common sense.

Booksellers please start protecting books you send in plastic. I waterproof everything I sell by wrapping in a plastic bag and sticky taping it closed to ensure it is water proof, I thought it was common sense.

A lot of booksellers ship from the UK, one of the wettest places ever, yet never protect their books in plastic. Tip to sellers, Australia's east coast has abundant rainfall year round. Parcels routinely get wet.

For the cost of a plastic bag and sticky tape, save someones sanity.

Message 1 of 21
Latest reply
20 REPLIES 20

I agree.  I've had one book damaged due to rain because of those stupid cardboard sleeves.  Luckily it was a book that could be replaced (after I sent photos to the seller).  They were apologetic but they still use the wide cardboard packaging.

I find it particularly annoying when the books are paperback sized.  If booksellers used plastic wrap and smaller amounts of cardboard they would fit in my letterbox....but no such luck.  They have to take their chances out in the elements as well.

Message 11 of 21
Latest reply

I have noticed nobody who sells books wrap them in plastic-

I do....evey single one I sell

Dave

Message 12 of 21
Latest reply

We always bubblewrap, 

Message 13 of 21
Latest reply

Refer to previous posts.

However, I would not buy a book from you if the bubblewrap kicked the postage up to a parcel rate for something that could be sent much ($6.50) cheaper as a letter. Which would be 90% of books that are less than 2cm thick. $10 capped postage notwithstanding.

Message 14 of 21
Latest reply

Hi,
I have always wrapped mine in plastic. I received an awesome message from a buyer once whose parcel arrived and was placed in the letter box next to her sprinkler that someone had placed to close and turned it on, she said she dreaded opening her parcel but when she did the plastic had completely protected it. I am sorry your seller wasn't as foresighted. I still feel pleased when I remember how happy she was.
Kind regards, Jenny
Message 15 of 21
Latest reply

@grannyblythe wrote:
Hi,
I have always wrapped mine in plastic. I received an awesome message from a buyer once whose parcel arrived and was placed in the letter box next to her sprinkler that someone had placed to close and turned it on, she said she dreaded opening her parcel but when she did the plastic had completely protected it. I am sorry your seller wasn't as foresighted. I still feel pleased when I remember how happy she was.
Kind regards, Jenny

I received a similar message once, long time ago but I think it was a book that had found it's way into a puddle lol but a message like that from the buyer showing appreciation is really nice. I mean that they took the time to do that

Message 16 of 21
Latest reply

Yes 11dustyattic, sellers do appreciate some good recognition of an extra effort taken.

Message 17 of 21
Latest reply

What - too busy ' researching ' not to notice the thread began in 2018 - and you are answering a year old post.

Message 18 of 21
Latest reply

They're books ............................. wrapped in plastic 

Spoiler
Must be a book about Laura Palmer
Message 19 of 21
Latest reply

I'm worried about you - I had to Goggle her. 🤣

Message 20 of 21
Latest reply