Why don't online booksellers wrap their books in plastic?!

rip2017
Community Member

Just purchased a book from ebay that was water damaged when rain soaked the cardboard parcel. The parcel arrived on a day we got rain. Just upset as the book was rare and I got it cheap. I even tried to let it dry out but pages still tore away from each other obscuring text when I tried to open it, after it seemed to have dried a few days later. Just annoyed as the book is perfect otherwise, but is now competely worthless as a collectible or even just a mundane read. It also has water stains on pages. The book is over 20 years old, but was in otherwise new condition, why did it have to get wrecked now?!

I can't just replace the book as it is out of print and because there are no other copies of this book left for sale on ebay or amazon or the publishers website.

This all would have been avoided if the seller had wrapped the book in plastic!

I have noticed nobody who sells books wrap them in plastic- even amazon doesn't. My question is why? When everyone knows books are wrecked once wet. 

I left the seller 5 star feedback, as I know it was not their fault. And I couldn't be bothered with the hassle of messaging them over something that should be common sense.

Booksellers please start protecting books you send in plastic. I waterproof everything I sell by wrapping in a plastic bag and sticky taping it closed to ensure it is water proof, I thought it was common sense.

A lot of booksellers ship from the UK, one of the wettest places ever, yet never protect their books in plastic. Tip to sellers, Australia's east coast has abundant rainfall year round. Parcels routinely get wet.

For the cost of a plastic bag and sticky tape, save someones sanity.

Message 1 of 21
Latest reply
20 REPLIES 20

Why don't online booksellers wrap their books in plastic?!

Hi everyone,

Due to the age of this thread, it has been closed to further replies. Please feel free to start a new thread if you wish to continue to discuss this topic.

Thank you for understanding.

Message 21 of 21
Latest reply